Export/Import field and templates. Is it stable on PW 3.0.96?

verdeandrea

Hello guys,

I'm working on an important project and I'll probably need to import end export templates and fields from my local site to the production one.

The last time i used the built-in import export tool i had some issues cause that feature was still experimental at that time.

Now I'm using PW 3.0.96 on this new project and i just wanted to ask if the import/export feature is now stable or not. I have very strict deadlines i would like to avoid any possible issue.

Thanks!

5 hours ago, verdeandrea said:

The last time i used the built-in import export tool i had some issues cause that feature was still experimental at that time.

The import/export of fields and templates has been around since PW v2.5 (2014), so I think you could consider the feature as stable as anything else in the stable branch. For reference, the blog posts that introduced the features...
https://processwire.com/blog/posts/august-2014-core-updates-1/
https://processwire.com/blog/posts/august-2014-core-updates-3/

I think it would be wise to be extra vigilant when exporting/importing non-core fieldtypes, and complex fieldtypes that need to account for templates/fieldgroups such as Repeater, Repeater Matrix, and maybe PageTable. Support was added for import/export of Repeater fields in late 2017 but Ryan said at the time "Seems to be working well here, but definitely needs more testing."

• Like 1

6 hours ago, verdeandrea said:

Now I'm using PW 3.0.96 on this new project and i just wanted to ask if the import/export feature is now stable or not. I have very strict deadlines i would like to avoid any possible issue.

I hope you are aware that PW 3.0.98 is now the newest Master Release.

7 hours ago, verdeandrea said:

I recently worked a lot with the import export; it all worked really well, no problems, but i had to view the json file and do some cleanup since it was a complex export/import process; Also i didn't do any repeaters; If you are careful and know how it works, and observe what @Robin S said, it should work well...