Field groups in the admin?

renobird

Hi Ryan,

Absolutely, I was just thinking of this as a way to help visually organize.

After talking with Apeisa on IRC, I realized that prefixing field names as a way to group them is not always a good solution either. Since fields can be renamed based on context it's almost better if they have generic names for easy reuse. So ultimately I need less fields, but the fields view is becoming even more unorganized as I try to keep the names as "vanilla" as possible.

Having a way to visually organize certain "groups" of fields would really help.

What I am always confused about field groups is how would one organize the fields? You have already organized them through templates, you can filter or sort them through field type and it also excludes built-in fields by default.

What kind of group labels you would have? Can field be part of multiple groups? How many fields do you have?

I agree that current field listing could be snappier to use (maybe little bit of ajax etc), but I find Ctrl+F pretty quick there :)

They can already be filtered by template or field type. Just in case someone missed it :)

Edit: oh, Apeisa said this before. This will teach me not to read in diagonal...

post-88-0-17734700-1349309085_thumb.png

Maybe I need to just get used to having a massive (and kind of messy) list of fields that I just filter. :)

It just seems to take a bit more work (to me at least) than being able to quickly identify fields of a certain *type*.

In my mind I see it working much like the modules listing. I don't think it's a issue on most sites—but for this "beast" I'm working on there just seems to be a need for a lot of fields—even when reusing as much as possible.

Hi Steve,

You can sort them by type if you click on the header of the type column. I use that quite a bit actually.

To clarify a bit more: I would say the majority of my fields are "generic" and can be reused in a variety of contexts.

But, there are still a lot that are specific to certain *kinds* of templates. For example, the calendar template has a lot of fields, most of which can be reused in other forms, so it would be nice to create a grouping of fields called "forms" for things that are only going to be used in forms.

Maybe I'm just being *too* organized here. ;)

I don't see any logic way of grouping the fields automatically. But maybe what renobird is suggesting wouldn't be illogical at all for organizing them manually. Also tabs or simply the ability of ordering them with drag and drop would make sense...

I don't see any logic way of grouping the fields automatically. But maybe what renobird is suggesting wouldn't be illogical at all for organizing them manually. Also tabs or simply the ability of ordering them with drag and drop would make sense...

Hi diogo,

Yes, manual grouping is what I was proposing.

My idea would be that when you create a new field you can manually add it to a group.

For sites without a lot of fields, I think that adding a groups designation would just be confusing, at least for new users. So would ideally like to find something that you don't really notice until you are specifically looking for it. How about if the field's 'advanced' tab had a text input where you could enter one or more tags? When used, the fields list would include a list of tags in use at the top, and clicking any one of them would make the list show only fields with the clicked tag.

• Like 6

• 5 months later...

Hi Ryan,

Any update on this topic? Reason why is that I am using ProcessWire for me and some buddies and we have a complex setup where we want have some sections that you can fill in, but are not directly visible.

iow: The site is readable on mobile and desktop and I want to create a landingspage from all the articles, but on mobile the view differs from the desktop. So to do that I have some fields for the mobile-look and desktop-look. 

Would be nice if I could group these fields like a mobile-group and desktop-group and a third which holds the page info (header, tag, title, body etc.etc.)