Search child pages but display parent pages in results with no duplication

I've built a site that uses parent pages as the "container" for child pages:

Parent page [page.php]
-- Child page [unit-child-a.php]
-- Child page [unit-child-b.php]
---- Grandchild page [subunit-grandchild-a.php]
---- Grandchild page [subunit-grandchild-b.php]
-- Child page [unit-child-c.php]

The child pages are displayed as content on the corresponding parent page using the render method. Some child pages also include their own child pages. (Internally the child page template names start with "unit-" and the grandchild page template names start with "subunit-".)

Example:

foreach ($page->children("template=template-name,sort=sort") as $child) echo $child->render();

This approach allows content administrators to add and reorder child pages as necessary, but I've come across an issue that I'm not sure how to address.

The site includes search functionality, but when a visitor searches for content and it is found in a child or grandchild page, the Parent page should be the one that is displayed in the search results, since the child and grandchild pages are not directly viewable. Since some searches could include more than one child or grandchild page of a parent page, this sometimes means that a parent page could be included more than once.

How do I easily redirect the child and grandchild pages to the parent page, and only include the parent page once in the search results?

A recent similar topic...Maybe the suggested approaches there will help?

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By sebr
      Hi
      In my search page, I used a selector like this :
      $searchQuery = $sanitizer->entities($input->get('q')); $searchQuery = $sanitizer->selectorValue($searchQuery); $selector = 'title|subtitle|summary|html_body_noimg~=' . $searchQuery; $matches = $pages->find($selector); I don't have the same results if $searchQuery contains accent or not.
      For example,
      with « bâtiment » I have no result with « batiment » I have onea result : « Les bâtiments et les smart-city » Normally I should have the same results? How can I do that ?
      Thanks for your help
    • By jploch
      Hey folks,
      I have a question regarding rendering of template files that are in a subfolder of the template folder.
      How would I for example render these PageTable items, when their template files are inside templates/blocks/:
      <div class="grid"> <?php foreach($page->grid_ext as $item): ?> <div id="pteg_<?= $item->id ?>"> <?php echo $item->render(); ?> </div> <?php endforeach; ?> </div> I tried this, but get an error:
      <?php echo $item->render(wire('config')->paths->templates . '/blocks/'); ?>  
    • By michelangelo
      Hello guys, I am building a sort of an archive. Relatively simple, although I have about 8000 records, each with 15 fields (text, int, images, url). I created a crude search system with a form (emulating the famous Skyscrapper example) to filter through the system. Everything works but it is quite slow... I have 2 questions which are related:

1. How can I search through the database?
      2. What is a good practice to display many records like these?
      -----------------------------------------
      1. I am retrieving the results with
      $songs = $pages->findMany('template=nk-song'); Then I do a foreach to render them all. I am unsure if that is a good way. If I render all of them on the page, it creates thousands of divs with a bit of text, and this can take a while (10s-15s).

2. This one is even worse :D as every time I retrieve my desired records with something like this:
      $page->find("field_to_search_through~=my_query_string") I get between 20 and 200, but when I render them I am creating iframes with YouTube videos and that can take up to 10s to finish. I "solved" it by only loading the iframes if they are in view with IntersectionObserver on the client-side. But I feel there is a more precise PHP / ProcessWire approach.

Just to clarify, I started doing all of this custom rendering and querying because tools like ElasticSearch or SearchEngine were a bit complicated and I needed a simple to retrieve information and then display it in my own way.
      Thank you!
    • By snobjorn
      I have a website with multiple content types that I want to be accessible through search. I really like the live search on processwire.com, that sorts content types while typing. I tried to find the code to recreate this, with no luck. Does anyone know if this is jquery, specific jquery plugins, json/xml cached files, and what kind of PHP code is used? Any tip that point me in the right direction would be much apperciated.
      The search result listing seems fairly easy to create with sorting through parameters.
    • By Anders
      I want to allow full text search on my site. There is a very nice solution that comes right out of the box:
      $selector = "title|body~=$q, limit=50"; This works, but to make it even better I would want to give higher weight to pages where the search term occurs in the title, than if it just occurs in the body. After all, a page with the title "Wine from France" is probably the best match for the search "france wine". How do I accomplish this in ProcessWire?
      I can see three possible paths, but I am not very fond of any of them:
      Do a direct SQL query, circumventing the API, along these lines. But I would prefer to abstract away the database layout if at all possible. Use something like ElasticSearch, but to be honest that would be to complicated to set up and maintain in the long run. Make multiple lookups, first for matches in the title, then for matches in the body, and merge and sort in PHP. My suspicion is that this would get complicated quite quickly. For instance, how do you deal with a page that has two of the three search terms in the title and the third in the body? Is there a magic option four I should look into? Or are any of the above options better than the others? Any input is welcome!