Preview: PageGrid or so...

theo

• 2 weeks later...

Hello

I am still working hard ? and I'm trying to turn the prototype into something reliable and usable.

Many changes behind the scenes and some additional features.

I will show a screencast soon.

Thank you.

bs4grid.thumb.png.7e257125d535d463460f942c4e1c02f5.png

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

Time for a little update. ?

There are many changes again.

Most visible: More Ajax, more Drag&Drop, more Wysiwyg.

Real containers (Tree hierarchy) instead of "nested groups". Rows are also  containers now.

In this little video, I will show you how to layout a responsive page from scratch without writing a line of code.

http://theowp.bplaced.net/upload/reptile.html

This system is not for absolute noobs. You need to have an idea about how responsive web pages and Bootstrap work.

But then one can be really fast I think.

Still a long way to go, but I hope you like the idea.

Thank you.

• Like 8

Looks very nice. But the UI when you hover over an item could be a little more in the style of PW (UIkit)

It would be good if you could support plugins for the grid builder, so we can use another framework than Bootstrap.

3 hours ago, jmartsch said:

Looks very nice. But the UI when you hover over an item could be a little more in the style of PW (UIkit)

Not sure what you mean. The Font Awesome icons?

It would be good if you could support plugins for the grid builder, so we can use another framework than Bootstrap.

Not sure if this is possible or sensible. Not on my priority list atm.

Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

Small update video below.

There are again many changes behind the scenes.

Multiple instances of "Gridbuilder" can now exist on the same page.

More "in-memory-actions" (JS) means less need to press the save button. But normal PW templates are still the base of everything.

Images can be dropped directly onto a grid_image template. See video.

http://theowp.bplaced.net/upload/pics.html

Thank you.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

This looks very nice! 
I was working on a similar thing using the css grid specification with page table extended as a pagebuilder.
But your approach is way superior because it supports inline editing, resize and better drag and drop (thought, this could still be improved, as it sometimes don't work as expected). I think this could be a very nice addition to PW, and something a would use a lot. 

Anyway it would be super awesome if you could release this as a module at some point!
I would offer to adapt this for css grid, as I think that would be a nice option for some people and has more possibilities than bootstrap.
Iam a frontend developer and designer so this might be out of my abilities, but I would try ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jploch said:

This looks very nice!

Thank you. ?

(thought, this could still be improved, as it sometimes don't work as expected)

I've changed that completely.
Now, only a placeholder icon is moved around, not the bootstrap column (which had strange visual effects).
Like this, you can also move columns in or out of containers.
See new video here: http://theowp.bplaced.net/upload/novtest.html

I would offer to adapt this for css grid, as I think that would be a nice option for some people and has more possibilities than bootstrap.

Not sure if possible without a complete rewrite. This is very bootstrap-centric.

I know that everyone wants a different CSS framework, but bootstrap is not just any product, it is "the most used open-source framework in the world."

https://www.keycdn.com/blog/front-end-frameworks

So I don't feel that bad, with my decision. ?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, theo said:

I know that everyone wants a different CSS framework, but bootstrap is not just any product, it is "the most used open-source framework in the world."

Iam generally not a huge fan of css frameworks, because they often feel bloated, so I usually code the complete css myself.
With CSS grid Iam not talking about a framework but the CSS grid specification.
Jen Simmons from Mozilla has some great videos explaining the benefits of using it for layouts.

Anyway I would also be very happy with the bootstrap version you made!
Do you have any plans for releasing this as a module? Or maybe even a release date? ?

4 minutes ago, jploch said:

Iam generally not a huge fan of css frameworks, because they often feel bloated, so I usually code the complete css myself.
With CSS grid Iam not talking about a framework but the CSS grid specification.
Jen Simmons from Mozilla has some great videos explaining the benefits of using it for layouts.

Yes I know, but afaik, this has not much in common with the way bootstrap works, so I don't think my "Gridbuilder" is a good starting point for implementing this.

8 minutes ago, jploch said:

Anyway I would also be very happy with the bootstrap version you made!
Do you have any plans for releasing this as a module? Or maybe even a release date? ?

I don't know if it will ever be a single module.

I'd call it a "setup" because it consists of several modules, plus a basic bootstrap setup using webpack (for front and backend) plus several templates etc.

Release date? Not sure, I'm moving soon, so I have a lot to do.. ?

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, theo said:

This looks very cool!!

12 minutes ago, theo said:

I'd call it a "setup" because it consists of several modules, plus a basic bootstrap setup using webpack (for front and backend) plus several templates etc.

If you find some time, it would be nice if you could share your new version (the one shown in the video).
I would also be happy with a duplicator/site profile to install.

17 minutes ago, theo said:

Release date? Not sure, I'm moving soon, so I have a lot to do.. ?

No rush. in which city do you move? You are also german right?

34 minutes ago, jploch said:

If you find some time, it would be nice if you could share your new version (the one shown in the video).
I would also be happy with a duplicator/site profile to install.

Don't hold your breath! ?

It's always "work in progress". I have no idea when It will reach the next "stable" point.

36 minutes ago, jploch said:

No rush. in which city do you move? You are also german right?

I'm swiss and I move within the city of lucerne.

22 minutes ago, theo said:

It's always "work in progress". I have no idea when It will reach the next "stable" point.

Take your time. Maybe release it as a commercial profile/module in the future.
I wouldn't mind to pay for it, at a reasonable price

22 minutes ago, theo said:

I'm swiss and I move within the city of lucerne.

Cool! Swiss graphic design kind of invented the idea of a grid system ?

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, bernhard said:

@ukyo showed me this awesome uikit pagebuilder for wordpress: https://demo.yootheme.com/themes/wordpress/2019/balou/wp-admin/customize.php

This link might also be interesting for you @Jonathan Lahijani

@bernhard I know about that and drew a lot of inspiration from it in some ways, but in other ways it doesn't play by ProcessWire's rules.  It also doesn't have dynamic content loading yet (although YooTheme is working on it).  Also, it's using WordPress's "old" customizer which will ultimately be replaced with Gutenberg.  Also, YooTheme comes in as a THEME, not a plugin, which is somewhat strange.  What I showed you on our call a few months ago has gone through a big transformation and evolving.  Still lots to do before I make a peep about it.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

@theo Hi Theo. Are you still working on this? I will release my pagebuilder module as a closed beta soon and plan to release it as a comercial module later. My module is NOT based on your module and is not using any of your code (it also works different than yours). But I like the name "PageGrid" because it really fits my module and also makes sense in the context of ProcessWire. So my question would be if it is ok to use that name for my module or if you plan to release your module with that name any time soon?