Sublime Text 2 course

SiNNuT

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Greetings,

Thanks SiNNuT for posting this. Sort of like Mr. Way, I have spent a lot of time looking at various editors over the past couple of years. The irony is, sometimes I think the time saved using an editor is eaten up in the time i take to keep testing a new one! OK, that's a joke, but you see what I mean...

I've also tried Coda and Textmate, as well as Aptana, Eclipse, and Komodo, and other I can't even remember now.

Currently, I use Espresso and I am happy with it. But a discussion like this could get me trying new ones...

Thanks,

Matthew

I just can't see how ST2 can be bettered right now. I used to like Coda and Textmate and they're fine but ST2 just saves me so much time. The multiple selection commands, go to anything commands, select next etc

Coding is just so fast with it, also the program itself is blistering, I've no idea how the developer manages it but it's everything is just so fast.

At the very least worth trying out for those who haven't used it.

• Like 2

Sublime2 + emmet plugin (formerly Zen Coding)

https://github.com/emmetio/emmet

Previously I used Notepad++ (for many years), EditPlus, and UltraEdit.

Had a quick look, can't figure out what it is. Is that exactly the same as Zen Coding? Didn't know they'd changed name. Think there may be an overlap with ST2. One of the only problems I've had with Sublime is different plugins and snippets seem to get in the way of each other. A lot of my snippets don't expand any more.

Had a quick look, can't figure out what it is. Is that exactly the same as Zen Coding? Didn't know they'd changed name. Think there may be an overlap with ST2. One of the only problems I've had with Sublime is different plugins and snippets seem to get in the way of each other. A lot of my snippets don't expand any more.

Sometime last week, this auto-prompt notified me that ZenCoding would no longer be supported. It made mention to emmetio, so I checked it out on github, then installed via package manager.

I didn't use ZenCoding to its full potential. Mostly quick HTML building, so I'm not sure how much has changed, but the features look impressive!

• 2 weeks later...

Install NetTuts Fetch plugin. Use super+shift+p and find "Package Control: Install Package" enter and search for "Fetch", select and hit enter to install it. Tutorial here: http://net.tutsplus....-nettuts-fetch/

Use http://gist.github.com to post snippets and load them in when needed. Very handy.

I often use the module template I created here: https://gist.github.com/2732707

Just enter it as for example "PW Module Template" to the config of the Fetch package, open command console super+shift+p and enter "fetch", you'll find 3 commands, select "Fetch: file" and select the entry from the list hit enter and it loads the code into the caret position.

Start coding your module.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I am using Sublime rather than Aptana now - it is a memory hog issue (Aptana is huge)

But I do miss some bits and pieces.

Although I have the folder tree plugin, I miss the full file management you have in aptana - I cant copy and paste from Explorer into Sublime like you can with Aptana, for instance.

Also, Aptana has a very powerful and built in syncing system that is much more full featured than the SFTP plugin for Sublime.

I find I miss all the various additional reporting screens you get with Aptana/Eclipse much less than I thought I would.

And Sublime is one hell of a lot faster - no typing lag (you get that with Aptana when you have a lot of projects).

So, I will probably stick to Sublime now unless I am running on a very powerful box.  

• Like 2