Pages Export (export PW 2.x - import into PW 3.x)

kongondo

Pages Export

This module is for specifically exporting ProcessWire 2.x sites for later importing into ProcessWire 3.x.

Github: Project Page

Modules Directory: https://modules.processwire.com/modules/process-pages-export/

Credits: Ryan Cramer

Background

As I make my modules ProcessWire 3.x-compatible only, I've had the need to re-create/mirror their ProcessWire 2.x test sites in respective ProcessWire 3.x sites. These ProcessWire 3.x sites (one for each module) were already in place and I didn't feel like re-doing them by exporting/importing site profiles. I also like working with JSON rather than other export formats. So, I decided to write a custom pages export/import script for moving the ProcessWire 2.x sites to their respective ProcessWire 3.x counterpart sites. I'd just finished the export side of things when I came across a post in the forums that reminded me that ProcessWire 3.x already boasts a pages export/import feature, although some of it is still in development. Great! I like its API (PagesExportImport.php) and GUI (ProcessPagesExportImport.module) so no need to re-invent the wheel. 

I still had the small problem of making sure my JSON export would be compatible with the JSON input that the ProcessWire 3.x import expects. No need to re-invent the wheel, again! I ditched my custom script and instead ported the export functionalities of ProcessWire 3.x Pages Export/Import for use in ProcessWire 2.2 - 2.7, specifically to help migrate older sites to ProcessWire 3.x.

Compatibility

The module and class have been tested and work in ProcessWire 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, 2,5, 2.6 and 2.7.  The module is currently tagged as 'in development' until Pages Import feature of ProcessWire 3.x is released as stable. Nonetheless, I have not encountered any issues so far in either the export or the ProcessWire 3.x import. I think Ryan is waiting until he can support more complex field types before tagging the ProcessWire 3.x Pages Export/Import as production-ready.

This is not a ProcessWire 3.x module and will never be. It has no such need :). Just in case you forget and try to install it in a ProcessWire 3.x site, the module will throw a WireException(). I will also not be porting the ProcessWire 3.x import functionality for use in ProcessWire 2.x. That will defeat the purpose here; to move sites to ProcessWire 3.x and not the other way round.

Supported Fields

• All non-complex fields such as integer, text, textarea, etc
  • Page fields
  • Repeaters
  • File and Image fields

I think these cover most needs. Note: not yet tested with Multilingual fields.

Technical

To ensure exports will be compatible with ProcessWire 3.x Pages Import, where necessary, the module borrows (and amends as needed) methods from ProcessWire 3.x for use in ProcessWire 2.x. For instance, ProcessWire 3.x Pages Export/Import uses the new(-ish) $file functions found in WireFileTools. Rather than copy and include such files, the module only borrowed and amended needed methods. These are listed below.

PagesExport.php

• From /wire/core/Functions.php: wireInstanceOf(), wireClassName() and wireClassParents()
  • From /wire/core/Fieldtype.php: getImportValueOptions() and getDatabaseSchema()
  • From /wire/core/WireFileTools.php: zip(), chmod() and mkdir()
  • From /wire/core/WireHttp.php: sendFile
  • From /wire/modules/Fieldtype/FieldtypeFile.module: exportValue() and exportDescription()
  • From /wire/modules/Fieldtype/FieldtypeImage.module: exportValue()
  • From /wire/modules/Fieldtype/FieldtypePage.module: exportValue() and exportValuePage()
  • From /wire/modules/Fieldtype/FieldtypeRepeater.module: exportValue()
  • From /wire/core/Fieldtype/WireTempDir.php: create(), createName() and getTempDir()
  • All the export methods from the /wire/core/PagesExportImport.php class

ProcessPagesExport.module

• All the export methods from /wire/modules/process/ProcessPagesExportImport/ProcessPagesExportImport.module

Newer methods such as $this->wire() will gracefully degrade to the older wire() function, ensuring smooth and uniform operation in ProcessWire 2.2  - 2.7.

Use

This module and class is for supersusers only and has only 1 aim; to export ProcessWire 2.x sites ready for importing into ProcessWire 3.x sites. You can either install (like any other module) and use the process module (ProcessPagesExport.module) or skip the install and just include and use the class (PagesExport.php) to export your sites.

Both the module (Export GUI) and API require that you are logged in as a supersuser before you can use them. The PagesExport class has a gateway method and option not found in the original class (PagesExportImport). The method export() allows access to the three export methods in the original class, i.e. pagesToArray(), exportJSON() and exportZip(). See example usage below.

GUI/Process Module

On install, the module will create a new admin page Export Pages. Please note that unlike the original code, this page is created directly under /admin/ and not /admin/pages/. Click on Export Pages to start.

Nothing much has changed from the original ProcessPagesExportImport.

In older ProcessWire versions where InputfieldSelector was not available, the module will instead present you with a text input to specify a valid (for that version of ProcessWire!) selector for finding pages. The other two methods for adding pages (add pages manually or add by parent) are still available.

Custom JS ensures older installs without showIf functionality still get the inputfield dependency treatment.

API

export($items, $options) 

PageArray $items: The PageArray to export.

Array $options: In addition to the options in the original class that you can pass to pagesToArray(), there are two more options here. mode to specify the export type (array or json or zip) and fieldNamesExclude, to specify fields to exclude from the export. Note that the original class option fieldNames still works. It's for specifying the fields to include in the export.

// API USAGE

// get and include PagesExport class
/* @note: you'll need to include the path differently if you are using the
 class directly without installing the Process module
*/
$path = $config->paths->ProcessPagesExport . 'PagesExport.php';
require_once($path);

// create new instance of the class
$siteExport = new PagesExport();

// find items to export
/* 
	a. export whole site! (minus admin and children)
	careful! in some cases, better to export in batches
*/
//$items = $pages->get('/')->find('has_parent!=2');

// export a batch of pages
$items = $pages->find('template=basic-page|computer');

/* you could also use these methods directly
#$data = $siteExport->pagesToArray($items);
#$data = $siteExport->exportJSON($items);
#$data = $siteExport->exportZIP($items);
*/
$options = array(
	// @kongondo addition: export to screen as 'array' or 'json' OR export to zip
	// zip will be saved in /site/assets/backups/PagesExport/ 
    'mode' => 'array',// array or json or ZIP
	// export only these field names, when specified
    'fieldNames' => array('images', 'files', 'multi_pages'),
	// @kongondo addition: exclude fields from export. Here we exclude 'body' field
	'fieldNamesExclude' => array('body'), 
);
// get the export
$data = $siteExport->export($items, $options);

if(is_array($data)) {
    echo '<pre> EXPORTED SITE USING pagesToArray ';
    print_r($data);
    echo '</pre>';	
}
// JSON export
else echo $data;

Screenshots

See also the links to Ryan's blog posts above.

ProcessWire 2.2

5ab398144be01_PagesExport-001-PW2.2.thumb.png.501eae0c5ca448cb005c96177b356f2b.png

ProcessWire 2.4

5ab3983dd1753_PagesExport-002-PW2.4.thumb.png.4f748e07e1c2dcd0814bd529a6e94668.png

ProcessWire 2.5

5ab3984db5a6e_PagesExport-003-PW2.5.thumb.png.58b2fb9ebd4cdeb4ac6a3cd007002c92.png

ProcessWire 2.7

5ab39858de23b_PagesExport-004-PW2.7.thumb.png.eecf9eecb468b1b7dce647007b3c0153.png

Video Demo

(Sorry, long and boring) 

Demo shows various exports from ProcessWire 2.x and their importing into ProcessWire 3.x. Remember the old Skyscrapers site profile? See how a whole Skyscrapers site gets exported from a ProcessWire 2.7.3 site and imported into a ProcessWire 3.x starting from here.

Edited by kongondo
Link to modules directory
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Robin S said:

Did you find some problems with upgrading sites from 2.x to 3.x? Just wondering why you would export/import pages rather than duplicate the site then upgrade to PW3?

I needed clean installs free from some modules and pages in the 2.x sites. I didn't want those carrying over into the new install and then uninstalling/deleting them. 

• Like 1

• 4 years later...
4 minutes ago, planmacher said:

I have to export some pages from a 2.8 installation to processwire 3. 
Is this module a possible way to do this?  

Hi @planmacher,

I haven't tried, unfortunately. Maybe you could test for us? ?. Thanks. Please backup your existing site first, as usual.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

first I thought everything works well, but then I recognised, that there ist a problem with image description fields.
No matter what I write in the description - there ist always some error like: 
Unknown Selector operator: '[empty]' -- was your selector value properly escaped? field='Unser', value='Igel aus dem Bi', selector: 'Unser Igel aus dem Biotop, sort=sort, parent_id=1016, templates_id=43'

I even made a test environment and updated the pw version to 3.0.200. Then I tried the core export feature but it throws the same error!

Am I doing something wrong?
Anay way to skip the description field?