[deprecated] RockForms: Flexible, Fast and Secure FrontendForms for ProcessWire

bernhard

@Robin S

I'm not an expert either and I will not pay a lawyer for consultancy on a module that I released for free... If anybody wants to make a fork with a removed branding: Go for it (bad karma for free ;) ). As long as somebody uses MY version of the module (meaning he can also get all future updates), I don't think it is a problem to limit the MIT license by this detail. At least that is how it is meant...

BTW: There was quite a similar discussion about that regarding pw itself long time ago: 

6 minutes ago, bernhard said:

As long as somebody uses MY version of the module (meaning he can also get all future updates), I don't think it is a problem to limit the MIT license by this detail.

Not a big problem, but the only other thing I would say is: imagine if every PW module developer did this. Would it be cool if there was an extra branding link in every MarkupSimpleNavigition menu? Maybe nobody would use that module then...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, bernhard said:

If anybody wants to make a fork with a removed branding: Go for it (bad karma for free ;) )

I wouldn't consider forking an open source project and amending it to one's need as bad karma at all. This is what places like github, gitlab etc. is all about.

I have to agree with @Robin S For me personally, it feels wrong having obligatory powered by links in a free module in the PW universe. You see that very rarely here. It is more common on other platforms, e.g. Joomla, and this was one of the many reasons that drove me away from there.

Most of my clients do not accept links like that on their website. Contacting the developer to have this removed would cost extra time, both for me and the developer. So why not make it optional in the first place?

I understand that this is a way to generate backlinks which generate traffic which generates attention and ideally more jobs which in the end generate money. But, again, it does not feel right to me to use a free PW module for that purpose.

I totally appreciate the time that developers spend on releasing free modules and this is the spirit that makes projects like PW stand out.

To generate income from a module one can always release a paid version. Free versions shouldn't have any strings attached.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Robin S said:

imagine if every PW module developer did this. Would it be cool if there was an extra branding link in every MarkupSimpleNavigition menu? Maybe nobody would use that module then...

I get your point and it's not easy to formulate my answer properly. I'll come back to you..

6 hours ago, gebeer said:

I wouldn't consider forking an open source project and amending it to one's need as bad karma at all. This is what places like github, gitlab etc. is all about.

I wouldn't see github as a place for grabbing software and removing brandings ;) 

Most of my clients do not accept links like that on their website. Contacting the developer to have this removed would cost extra time, both for me and the developer. So why not make it optional in the first place?

If they don't accept it, well, there are several other options:

• develop something on your own
  • use formbuilder and support ryan
  • find another client ( :P;) )
  • contribute something to this module (like you already did @gebeer )
  • sponsor new features for this module

Please don't get me wrong - I just don't want to get too serious about that topic ;) We also have those discussions for the pw Pro Modules from time to time... 

To generate income from a module one can always release a paid version. Free versions shouldn't have any strings attached.

So you would prefer a commercial module? Don't get that point... Just contact me and suggest a proper price for removing that branding - and I'm not talking about thousands of euros here. Some contributions to the community would totally be fine ;)

BTW: I've started this experiment in my signature quite some time ago. Guess how many donations and likes I got until then? One donation, zero likes...

3 hours ago, bernhard said:

I wouldn't see github as a place for grabbing software and removing brandings

Up until now not one of the many softwares on github that I have been using even had branding attached.

We also have those discussions for the pw Pro Modules from time to time.

With pro modules the user knows exactly what to expect: buy and then use. With free modules that ask for money to remove brandings, the user could feel tricked.

So you would prefer a commercial module?

I'd rather prefer that for the same reason mentioned above. I happily pay for pro modules and use them a lot.

I totally respect the way you see things in this matter and it is your freedom as a module developer to handle things like you do. Just wanted to share my thouights and feelings about it and explain some negative views people might have on your approach, especially since it is the first time I come across this in the PW module world.
Enough said.

Thank you for everything you're giving to the community and keep up the great work!

• Like 7

• 2 months later...

Ok, I got some updates on this module. I wanted to implement support of multiple forms on one page because I need to add a newsletter subscription form on one page using my module and right now this is not possible. Unfortunately this task is not trivial and I hope to get some help by you guys ?  maybe @tpr @Robin S or @gebeer have already done something similar?

Please see the explanation of the issue in the Nette Forum: https://forum.nette.org/en/30969-multiple-forms-on-one-page-standalone-version

Edit: seems to be solved - got a reply instantly in the nett forum ? 

BTW: I decided to remove the branding from the module ?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, jmartsch said:

Thanks for removing the branding. I bought a drink for you. Cheers ?

Thx ?? Still fighting with multiple forms on one page. Hope I can solve it soon... Also while implementing another form on a page I realized that the setup process is still a little bit tedious. But apart from that it worked well. I'd love to provide a better module with better UI one day. But I'm also not sure if I should really do that... we already have FormBuilder. We'll see...

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

installed this from gitlab but not working

$modules->get('RockForms')->form;

return null

$modules->get('RockForms');

return object(ProcessWire\RockForms)#275 (1) { ["data"]=> array(3) { ["nettehny"]=> string(16) "comments message" ["uninstall"]=> string(0) "" ["submit_save_module"]=> string(6) "Submit" } } 

Hi @fliwire,

welcome to the forum. This module is intended as proof-of-concept or for testing purposes of experienced developers and not for production use. I'm not using it any more, so I'd recommend you look for another solution (we have some, see the "how to search" link in my signature).

Thx

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, fliwire said:

sorry for late answer:) why you not using anymore?

Because the projects I did lately didn't need forms or needed some more complex ones and I used FormBuilder for that. I find nette forms a little complicated to understand and modify. The PW forms api is a lot cleaner (at least to me, being familiar with PW).

Other solutions are:

• Custom HTML/PHP Forms
  • Forms API
  • FormBuilder (commercial module)
  • Like 1

• bernhard changed the title to [deprecated] RockForms: Flexible, Fast and Secure FrontendForms for ProcessWire