do PW v2.7 modules work with v3+?

neosin

There are lots of great looking modules that I would like to use but I am hesitant to install them purely due to the lack of visual indication that they are compatible with PW v3+. Most of the ones I want to use say they are compatible with previous versions up to 2.7 so a few questions:

• Does this mean they are not compatible with v3 ? it would seem so since they lack the v3 tag
  • If I try them and something doesn't work and I remove them are all traces removed or can they leave artifacts behind in the DB or filesystem?

thanks in advance

4 hours ago, neosin said:
  • If I try them and something doesn't work and I remove them are all traces removed or can they leave artifacts behind in the DB or filesystem?

De-installed is not quite the same as physically removed. If you de-activate a PW module, it will still be on your server. But all DB-related stuff will be removed (not every module uses the DB).

Hint: Most old modules not tagged with "PW3-compatible" can be easily enabled with adding PW3 namespaces at the very top of the php (.module) file:

<?php namespace ProcessWire;

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, dragan said:

De-installed is not quite the same as physically removed. If you de-activate a PW module, it will still be on your server. But all DB-related stuff will be removed (not every module uses the DB).

Hint: Most old modules not tagged with "PW3-compatible" can be easily enabled with adding PW3 namespaces at the very top of the php (.module) file:

<?php namespace ProcessWire;

thank you for this tip!

much appreciated

Very occasionally you'll come across a deprecated/removed PHP function in a very old module written for PHP 5.3 or 5.4 (what's the earliest version PW worked with years ago?) if you're now using, say, PHP 7.2. Even that kind of thing can be relatively easily Googled, or I'm sure someone on here could help with a specific problem of that kind.