[SOLVED] htaccess not all modules supported

joeck

Hi Guys,

I'm trying to do my first migration to the customers existing server (IIS 10) . I ran the site as a subdirectory on my website for test purposes (everything works fine).
Following the tutorial of Joss, I tryed the site on a local xampp server to make sure, it also works on a root directory. So far so good, everything works.

Now I moved the files (from the xampp) to the customers server. The root/index page is shown but for every subpage i get 404 Errors...

Hence I followed the troubleshooting guide for not working URLs:

On the first sight, the .htaccess file is not recognized, therefore I contacted the host support. They said, it is recognized but not all modules are supported in the processwire .htaccess file. I did the "öalskjfdoal" test in the .htaccess file and didn't get a 500 Error.... BUT the rewrite rule from the hosts support, to proof the file is read, DID work... The support claims, they do not provide debugging... so basically the .htaccess file is recognized and working, but not throwing any errors (for whatever reason).

Working rewrite rule (from support):

RewriteEngine On
 RewriteBase /
 RewriteRule ^test\.asp$ index.html [NC,L]
 RewriteRule ^test\.html$ konzept.html [NC,L]
 RewriteRule ^test2\.html$ team.html [NC,L]

The support said, a couple modules are not supported in the htaccess file, the supported ones are listed here: http://www.helicontech.com/ape/ (I think mod_rewrite is supported)

As I do not completely understand what exactly is happening in the htaccess file, I'm stuck. I tried all suggestions I found regarding this topic on the forum, but none of them solved the problem.

.htaccess.txt

The root/index page is shown but for every subpage i get 404 Errors...

That´s a classical problem. Is your site in the root or in a subdirectory ?
Did you check Allow/Override is configured on your hosting ?
Is your processwire config still pointing to localhost ?
Set debug mode on in your config file. $config->debug = true; to see any error messages.

• Like 1

Is your site in the root or in a subdirectory ?

It is in the root directory

4 hours ago, pwired said:

Did you check Allow/Override is configured on your hosting ?

No, I'm awaiting an answer from support. But I think it is configured, as the rewrite rules are working (see attachement).

$config->debug is set to true, but this is not helping as the server is displaying its own 404 Error page, hence I do not see if the config is still pointing to localhost.
I tried to change the servers 404 error page to the /index.php (as in the htaccess file) but this just gave me the index.php page, no matter which link is clicked.

PS: the CSS and some modules CSS are not linked properly as well, maybe this helps in finding the error

.htaccess.txt

13 hours ago, joelplambeck said:

I did the "öalskjfdoal" test in the .htaccess file and didn't get a 500 Error...

Hmm, that means .htaccess file is not working. What happens if you remove the rewrite rules provided by your support? What errors are shown? Apache logs, what do they say?

• Like 1

The $config->httpHosts is set to the root of the customers website (with and without www.*)

1 hour ago, kongondo said:

Hmm, that means .htaccess file is not working. What happens if you remove the rewrite rules provided by your support? What errors are shown? Apache logs, what do they say?

The logs I found do not state a request to the htaccess file... and I still don't get an error with 'asölkdfjasldfj' on first line... As if the server doesn't even care... :-(

In the attachement you find logs with both version of the htaccess file (with and without the 'laksjdföadsf' error)

log.txt

1 hour ago, kongondo said:

OK. But what error do you get in the browser when you remove your supports rules (i.e., using PW .htaccess file as is).. Do you get a 500 Error or 404 Error?

I get the exact same error (404 on subpages, index.php is working)

The rules added from the support are not helping me (for the migration) in any way, they simply prove that the htacces file is working/read (somehow).

To be specific: the rules are regarding the old site and simply rewrite a not existing url to an existing url  */test.html to */angebot.html (from the old website/structure). But the new website built with PW has a different (more organised) structure.

I hope my explanation is not too confusing :undecided:

You have a backup of your website and database, right ? So, delete everything in the root and database of your Host and then do a fresh new processwire installation. That will tell you if your Host has any restrictions yes or no. As soon as you can do a fresh new processwire installation on your host, you can compare both the .htaccess and the config.php files with the ones you have in your website backup.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, joelplambeck said:

I get the exact same error (404 on subpages, index.php is working)

OK. However, index.php will work even without .htaccess. 

19 hours ago, joelplambeck said:

The rules added from the support are not helping me (for the migration) in any way, they simply prove that the htacces file is working/read (somehow).

This is what I am confused about. If the .htaccess file is working, you should have seen a server 500 error when you added random gibberish text at the very top of the htaccess file. If you didn't, it means the htaccess is not getting read. Maybe repeat the test to confirm?

Could these posts be of help to you?

• Like 1

• joeck changed the title to [SOLVED] htaccess not all modules supported

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Similar Content

• By theExo
      Hey folks,
      im pretty new to Processwire. A client of mine asked me to migrate his old (v2.5) Processwire Website. On his server its running on PHP 5.3 and i want to upgrade + migrate the site at the same time. I Downloaded the Site from his server to set it up locally, replaced the /wire directory, index.php and .htaccess with the files of the latest version. After that i changed the DB Connection details in the config.php, swapped to PHP 7.4 and now, when i open up the site on my localhost i get this error:
      compile(\ProcessWire\wire("config")->paths->root . "site/templates/includes/head.inc.php",array('includes'=>true,'namespace'=>true,'modules'=>true,'skipIfNamespace'=>true)))?> compile(\ProcessWire\wire("config")->paths->root . "site/templates/includes/header.inc.php",array('includes'=>true,'namespace'=>true,'modules'=>true,'skipIfNamespace'=>true)))?> compile(\ProcessWire\wire("config")->paths->root . "site/templates/includes/start_content.inc.php",array('includes'=>true,'namespace'=>true,'modules'=>true,'skipIfNamespace'=>true)))?> compile(\ProcessWire\wire("config")->paths->root . "site/templates/includes/footer.inc.php",array('includes'=>true,'namespace'=>true,'modules'=>true,'skipIfNamespace'=>true)))?> The page itself doesnt load, just a white space with this stuff on it
      I checked if the files exist, they do.
      I hope anyone can help me with that 🙂 Thanks in advance!
    • By Liam88
      Hi,

After years of just playing around with Processwire I have asked 3 q's in the same week. It's all about working with forms, parameters etc and so I'm hoping this ordeal is nearly over!
      I currently have a checkbox filter:
      <form id="abFilter" method="get" role="form" action="'.$page->url().'"> <div class="list-group"> <h3>Content Type</h3>'; $cont = $fields->get('ab_content'); $contents = $cont->type->getOptions($cont); foreach($contents as $ab_cont){ echo' <div class="list-group-item checkbox"> <input type="checkbox" class="" id="'.$ab_cont->title.'" name="content" value="'.$ab_cont->title.'"'; if (in_array($ab_cont->title, $contArray)){ echo "checked"; } echo'> <label for="'.$ab_cont->title.'">'.$ab_cont->title.'</label> </div>'; } echo' </div>'; //end of filter 1 //start of filter 2 echo' <div class="list-group"> <h3>Channels</h3>'; $chan = $fields->get('ab_channels'); $channel = $chan->type->getOptions($chan); foreach($channel as $ab_chan){ echo' <div class="list-group-item checkbox"> <input type="checkbox" class="" id="'.$ab_chan->title.'" name="channel" value="'.$ab_chan->title.'"'; if (in_array($ab_chan->title, $chanArray)){ echo "checked"; } echo'> <label for="'.$ab_chan->title.'">'.$ab_chan->title.'</label> </div>'; } echo' </div>'; ?> <button id="select">Get Checked Checkboxes</button> </form><!-- end of form --> I also have a piece of script which selects all the checkboxes and then outputs them into readable parameters for the URL which then passes into the $inputs. The reason for the script is to not have duplicate filters like ?ab=1&ab=2 and the script changes it to ab=1_2 which on the input gets exploded into an array. 
      document.querySelector("form").onsubmit=ev=>{ ev.preventDefault(); let o={}; ev.target.querySelectorAll("[name]:checked").forEach(el=>{ (o[el.name]=o[el.name]||[]).push(el.value)}) console.log(location.pathname+"?"+Object.entries(o).map(([v,f])=>v+"="+f.join("_")).join("&")); document.location.href = location.pathname+"?"+Object.entries(o).map(([v,f])=>v+"="+f.join("_")).join("&"); } Here is $inputs and so on on the page:
      //Default selector to get ALL products $baseSelector = "template='adbank_pages',sort=published,include=all,status!=hidden,limit=2"; $selector = "template='adbank_pages',sort=published,include=all,status!=hidden,limit=2"; $input->whitelist('channel',explode("_", $channel)); // Use this to append to the $items filter if($channel){ $chanArray = explode("_", $channel); $chan = $channel = str_replace('_', '|', $channel); $selector = $selector .= ",ab_channels=$chan"; } $test = $pages->find($selector); // This is just testing if the $selector choise returns and if not use page filter without filters. if(count($test) > 0){ $items = $pages->find($selector); // $items with the parameter filter // Example - "template='adbank_pages',sort=published,include=all,status!=hidden,limit=2,ab_channels=facebook-ads" // Example (multi choice) - "template='adbank_pages',sort=published,include=all,status!=hidden,limit=2,ab_channels=facebook-ads|instagram-ads" // Example (with other filters) - "template='adbank_pages',sort=published,include=all,status!=hidden,limit=2,ab_channels=facebook-ads,ab_content=video|static" }else{ $items = $pages->find($baseSelector); // Example - "template='adbank_pages',sort=published,include=all,status!=hidden,limit=2" } $total = $items->getTotal(); I have stripped out a few of the other filters from the above to try keep it a little more concise (haha). Now I appreciate the post may be long but here we are at the end!
      The URL I get on page 1 of the filter results would look like: example.com/blog/?channel=facebook-ads_instagram-ads
      If I click page 2 the url changes to - example.com/blog/page2/?channel=
      If I then click back to page 1 it changes to - example.com/blog/?channel=
      So I'm hoping you can see my problem and hoping someone can assist. I need to work out how to keep the parameters in the url but also if I remove that filter for that parameter to remove.
      This whole process works without pagination but with pagination it has a different behaviour.
      Thank you in advance
    • By wwwouter
      Some context: I want to use PHP variables in my CSS (more info below) and found a solution on CSS-tricks that looks fairly elegant and somewhat solid to me. It's pretty simple, I created a file style.css.php inside the site/templates/ directory and load that in my page head. In style.css.php is the following:
      <?php header("Content-type: text/css; charset: UTF-8"); header("Charset:utf-8"); if ($homepage->hero_image) { echo <<<CSS .hero { background: url($homepage->hero_image->url) no-repeat; } CSS; } ?> Because of the following RewriteCond (line 373) in the htaccess file the server sends a 403 error back when the file is requested:
      # Block access to any PHP or markup files in /site/templates/ or /site-*/templates/ RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} (^|/)(site|site-[^/]+)/templates($|/|/.*\.(php|html?|tpl|inc))($|/) [NC,OR] (My htaccess file is @version 3.0 and @htaccessVersion 301)
      This is how I thought I could fix that (based on these answers on stack overflow) but it does not work:
      # Block access to any PHP or markup files in /site/templates/ or /site-*/templates/ RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} (^|/)(site|site-[^/]+)/templates($|/|/((?!style\.css).)*\.(php|html?|tpl|inc))($|/) [NC,OR] I tested the rule with htacess tester and htaccess check and both worked for me, but on my site I still get a 403 instead of the file.
      I'm working on localhost, using MAMP (not sure if that's relevant).
      A bit more about what I want to do achieve specifically:
      I want to use an image as a background-image for an element, not place it as an image. This image is provided by the user via a field and can therefore change.
      I know I can achieve this like this:
      echo "<section class='hero' style='background-image: url($page->hero_image->url)'></section>"; But I would prefer a method other than inlining because of scalability and cleanliness. (I admit the extra link in the page head is not ideal either)

P.s. this is my first post here, I hope it's submitted in the right forum and my explanation is clear.
    • By RDC
      Is the right way to get Processwire to skip a folder (ie not process it as its running a different CMS) to put
      RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^/shop/.*$
      just before 
      RewriteRule ^(.*)$ index.php?it=$1 [L,QSA]
      in .htaccess?
    • By humanafterall
      Hi,
      I have a URL field that will sometimes have relative/local URLs on a multilingual site, for example /contact/ 

However the URL field does not seem to pick up when I'm on another language, for example /fr/ so I'm taken to the default language page for /contact/ rather than /fr/contact/
      Is there a way to make the URL fields play well with a multi-language site?
      Thanks!