Introduction into Processwire in German?

fermion

Hello.

This is my first posting here.

So at this place I really like to thank all the people who created PW :) Thanks a lot. I respect that a lot. Thanks for all the creativity, knowledge and time you gave to that project.

I'm completely new to CMS in general and to Processwire as well.

A friend helped me with the installation of the latest version of PW on my webspace.

Now I'm looking for a good written introduction into PW in German. My first impulse was to look for a good book at Amazon, but there is not any.

Can you recommend a written introduction, tutorial, manual, ...?
I prefer it written and not as video.

Example of some first tasks for the default theme:

How to eliminate

• the button "Edit" in the navigation bar
  • the  link "Login Admin" in the footer
  • the breadcrumb bar
  • the complete sidebar on the right
  • the main heading in the content area
  • the link to the next page at the bottom

Thanks.

My focus is a way of usage of PW, where I have a large control about the HTML and the CSS (my knowledge is good in both).

There's one problem with a language modul:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7tanf2elkn7lvxg/Screenshot 2018-02-28 10.29.44.png?dl=0

I don't understand what is meant with "Please translate the “C” locale setting for each language to the proper locale in /wire/modules/LanguageSupport/LanguageSupport.module"

What do I have to do in that large file please?

Welcome to the ProcessWire and the forums @fermion

8 minutes ago, fermion said:

I don't understand what is meant with "Please translate the “C” locale setting for each language to the proper locale in /wire/modules/LanguageSupport/LanguageSupport.module"

You don't need to touch that file. Please see this post for the solution. You might want to read the whole thread for context

48 minutes ago, fermion said:

I'm completely unexperienced with administration and PHP.

Without a basic idea about PHP you probably won't get far with processwire imo.

About your question"How to eliminate..?"

It is all in the PHP files in "/site/templates/". Probably _main.php in your case.

• Like 1

@zoeck

Thanks. A good point to start :)

@Nüsse
Thanks for the links, but that are no collections with tutorials in german.

@all
Klenkes wrote: "On most of the websites I maintain I had to put this in init.php: setlocale(LC_ALL, "de_DE"); "
Is there really not risk to put that anywhere into the init.php, are there no side effects for multiple language websites?

About PHP:
Of course I have to learn some PHP, when I start working more intensively with PW. I have some few experiences with PHP-Includes, or how to use simple scripts on a non cms website.

Something else:
I heard, that for PHP there are "methods" to get direct access to the DOM tree. Is that possible with PW? I mean, can PW distinguish between a tag and content?
I would love to do some typographic manipulations with regular expressions. Than it is important, hat I can only treat "content" and never tags.
Sorry for my poor English. I hope you understand, what I mean.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fermion said:

Is there really not risk to put that anywhere into the init.php, are there no side effects for multiple language websites?

Hi @fermion, willkommen in der wunderbaren Welt und der hilfreichen Community von ProcessWire. Wir schreiben hier meistens in Englisch, damit es alle verstehen können. Ich hoffe du verstehst was die meisten hier schreiben.

Now I will continue in english:

Regarding your question about a risk for setting the locale. I would recommend to set the locale and date format to the corresponding language. Here is the code I use on a large website in my

_init.php:

$lang = $user->language->name;
if ($lang == "default") $lang = "de";

$date_lang = array();
switch ($lang) {
    case 'en':
        setlocale(LC_ALL, 'english_gbr', 'english_britain', 'english_england', 'english_great britain', 'english_uk', 'english_united kingdom', 'english_united-kingdom');
        $date_lang[0] = "%A %B %dth %Y at %I:%M %p";
        $date_lang[1] = "%B %dth %Y";
        $date_lang[2] = "%I:%M %p";
        $date_lang[3] = "%A";
        break;
    case 'nl':
        setlocale(LC_ALL, 'english_gbr', 'english_britain', 'english_england', 'english_great britain', 'english_uk', 'english_united kingdom', 'english_united-kingdom');
        $date_lang[0] = "%A %B %dth %Y at %I:%M %p";
        $date_lang[1] = "%B %dth %Y";
        $date_lang[2] = "%I:%M %p";
        $date_lang[3] = "%A";
        break;
    case 'fr':
        setlocale(LC_ALL, "fr_FR", "fra", "fr_FR.UTF8", "French_France");
        $date_lang[0] = "%A %d %B %Y à %kh%M";
        $date_lang[1] = "%d %B %Y";
        $date_lang[2] = "%kh%M";
        $date_lang[3] = "%A";

break;

default:
        setlocale(LC_ALL, 'de_DE.UTF8', 'de_DE@euro', 'de_DE', 'deu_deu', 'German_Germany.1252');
        $date_lang[0] = "%A, den %d. %B %Y um %k.%Mh";
        $date_lang[1] = "%d. %B %Y";
        $date_lang[2] = "%k.%Mh";
        $date_lang[3] = "%A";
        break;
}
2 hours ago, fermion said:

can PW distinguish between a tag and content

Yes, normally your content is embedded in "fields" in ProcessWire. Then in your template file you output the content of the field in a HTML structure you like, for example a div or a metatag.

I agree, that there are not much german tutorials that cover ProcessWire, but I think this is because almost the whole developer community is used to speak and understand english.

Anyways: Here is a nice tutorial in german (there are more in the same channel) 

You will find a nice blog post "Warum ProcessWire die beste Wahl für Ihre Website ist (nicht immer, aber in den meisten Fällen)" on my website, which isn't a tutorial, but an explanation, why and when to use ProcessWire.

Edited by jmartsch
Clarify where the code belongs to
  • Like 6

5 minutes ago, kongondo said:

@jmartsch,

Please clarify where this code should go to avoid any confusion, thanks.

Please, I like to know what is the cause for the error message I mentioned:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7tanf2elkn7lvxg/Screenshot 2018-02-28 10.29.44.png?dl=0

I ask, because it is a fresh standard installation. Is the cause a problem/ a missconfiguration on the webserver (as I told you, a friend helped me with the installation) or is it a problem/bug of the installer of PW?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, fermion said:

I ask, because it is a fresh standard installation. Is the cause a problem/ a missconfiguration on the webserver (as I told you, a friend helped me with the installation) or is it a problem/bug of the installer of PW?

It is a new ProcessWire 3 requirement, I think from version 3.0.5x 

@jmartsch

Yes, I understand English but I need about 4 times as long as for a german text. That's why I hoped there is a book in german like there are for wordpress. Bad luck for me.

Regarding your question about a risk for setting the locale. I would recommend to set the locale and date format to the corresponding language. Here is the code I use on a large website in my

_init.php:

You insert the complete code of 36 lines you posted at the end of _init.php, right?

Thanks for the video tutorial. I will try it, but as I mentioned in the first post, I prefer written tutorials.

I still don't understand the reason, why a user has to manually enter code as a requirement.

There are several languages.
I thought it is enough to choose one for the page inside the backend gui or choose multiple ones for multiple language site.

Well, I'm just curious for the reasons. Please do not regard that as a criticism at all. I'm a newbie :)

• Like 1

@fermion You may find two (or more) well written articles in the german c't magazin:

https://www.heise.de/ct/ausgabe/2015-7-Websites-betreiben-mit-dem-Open-Source-CMS-ProcessWire-2562549.html

And there was an article in 03.12.2016 (interessante CMS-Alternativen zu Wordpress) but cannot find it atm.

Ah, here it is: https://www.heise.de/ct/entdecken/?jahr=2016;ausgabe=25;sort=seite_auf;seite=6

There are three articles in it. Better you buy the whole magazine for 4,50 instead the online articles one by one.

Edited by horst
found the relevant magazin page
  • Like 1

@horst

Thanks for the hints. I have both magazines at home. But these are short articles about the character and origin of PW and not tutorials.

I have to accept it: there is not one single tutorial/manual/book in german out there.

46 minutes ago, fermion said:

I still don't understand the reason, why a user has to manually enter code as a requirement.

ProcessWire detected that this isn't set in your hosts server setting and warns you about that. I never have seen this warning on any of my 40+ projects, hosted by differend hosting agencies. And it wouldn't be a good pratice to silently change server settings, as it may have a special reason, (that is, by its nature, out of the scope of the PW installer). PW does several checks with the installer, and some more, less important ones in intervals, only visible for the SuperUser.

Long story short: your host simply misses the local setting. It is the same like with your Computer System, e.g. Windows. If it wouldn't have set any locale, you may get the (for you) wrong english settings. Wrong date, time and float values, etc. etc. It is a missing PHP init setting on your (bought) host. :)

• Like 3

1 minute ago, fermion said:

@horst

Thanks for the hints. I have both magazines at home. But these are short articles about the character and origin of PW and not tutorials.

I have to accept it: there is not one single tutorial/manual/book in german out there.

Yes, but with this articles and if you are fit in HTML and CSS, you don't need much more. Only practice. :)

Best thing is to grab you something like from the c't article, and work with it. The few starting things you don't know on PHP you will get there and further more you will find help here in the forums. To your initial questions, it is simply HTML markup from the template files. Reading the HTML, you will find the appropriate parts and can remove them.

12 minutes ago, horst said:

ProcessWire detected that this isn't set in your hosts server setting and warns you about that. I never have seen this warning on any of my 40+ projects, hosted by differend hosting agencies.

You are lucky. Here it happens all the time.

The warning shows even in the Skyscraper Demo: http://demo.processwire.com/admin/page/?login=1

13 minutes ago, horst said:

Long story short: your host simply misses the local setting. It is the same like with your Computer System, e.g. Windows. If it wouldn't have set any locale, you may get the (for you) wrong english settings. Wrong date, time and float values, etc. etc. It is a missing PHP init setting on your (bought) host. :)

Thanks, Horst. That helps me. I will ask my "hoster" (a friend) to set the setting on his server.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, fermion said:

Processwire isn't a "one click ready cms"... ;) and i think when somebody understands the template system etc. - then it shouldnt be a problem to add a locale to a php file (or the config file - when it's not a multi language system)

i think the first part for you, is to learn the php basics - if you know them, its easier to work with processwire...
and after 1-2 tutorials (in english ;)) - you know how to use processwire (okay, the basics :D)

There are some very important pages:
http://processwire.com/api/ref/
http://cheatsheet.processwire.com/
http://processwire.com/api/

• Like 3

@zoeck
From a usability point of view I don't agree.

An installation should be as automatical as possible. When decisions are necessary, it should be asked. If an installation needs a manually configuration, because there's no other technical solution or there was no one who implemented that, the user should get a message, which explains exactly, what he could and should do.

When I understood it correctly, than there are two options:

1 Change the server configuration

2 Edit _init.php

Please take that as a polite suggestion. It is not easy to make sure, that something is meant as a suggestion and not at all as an expectation or criticism in a foreign language.

• Like 2

Processwire checks like @horst wrote even things that in server environments are not set or are "not good practise" - i always a system that is thinking for me and show me important things, instead of stupid systems that are run automatical but give a f**** about where they run.

Like @zoeck wrote PW is definitive not a click and run system, but there are so many other things that making it awesome, even this simple environment check for example is what i want more than a ready to use system that is not helping me or thinking for me to prevent future problems...

[german]Mir ist ein System mit einer sinnvollen Warnung lieber, als eines dem die Umgebung egal ist. Für die fehlende Servereinstellung kann PW nichts. Eine fehlende Warnung in einem CMS will ich als User aber nicht haben... somit ist mir aus Benutzersicht die Warnung lieber ;) [/german]

In this forum almost every user takes mostly everthing polite....;)
(If some things are hard to understand, you can wrote me a PM in german, too - so language is no problem.)

My way would be start from simple to complex. Becaus with Processwire you have found a system that could serve a simple website with minimal setting and a complex ecosystem that runs big data or business....so the force is up to every single user how to use this tool.

So study the existing docs in englisch especially the https://processwire.com/docs/tutorials/

and try the simple PHP snippets like some for each loops th get content, get your head in the simplest template engine HTML + PHP Snippets....later you could dive in things like (markup regions)...

• Like 3