Sign in to follow this  
benbyf

can you have a user with the same name?

Strange question but I was wondering if it was possible to have more than one user with the same user name - or put in another way, allow the user to login with the same name but different passwords...?

35 minutes ago, benbyf said:

I was wondering if it was possible to have more than one user with the same user name

Not out of the box, I don't think so. A user is a page like any other page. They share the same parent, Users (ID 29). You cannot have more than one page with the same name under the same parent in ProcessWire.

• Like 3

You could use another field, login via email or title, but even then there is the problem:

• User 1 has password: 123456
  • User 2 has password: 123456

If you search the same name/email at login and loop with the password on found users, then user 2 could login into user 1 account. This would be bad.

The possibility is there to have the same password, and you can login into the wrong user account.

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By neonwired
      I'm hoping someone has seen this before. There doesn't appear to be an issue with the user info.

• By prestoav
      Hi there,
      I have a marketplace site that used the older Fredi module for front end editing so advertisers can create and edit their adverts (in the form of pages). After upgrading to v3.0 of Processwire I'd like to change the editing method for users to the new, core front end editing methods. However, it seems that with this method any editor can edit any page (subject to template restrictions for their user role). Using Fredi I checked the user and created user were equal before displaying edit buttons (clunky but it worked).
      Is there any stock way to restrict front end editing to the creator of the page so that my advertisers can only edit their own ads or should I test for user as before?
      Thanks in advance as always 🙂
    • By DooM
      Hey guys!
      I try to achieve a possibility for the client's admin account to change other users privileges. 
      In the CMS I have superadmin account, which is for me. My client got an account with a role user, which is limited administration account. The client also got some other people, who will edit the content with role editor  
      User story would look somehow like this:
      user role can add new roles and users user role can change privileges for all users (except superadmin). Eg. When the user role gives the editor role privilege to edit only articles. The Editor role will be able to edit only them.  
      I know this functionality is possible for superadmin, but I couldn't simulate it on the user role. Is there any easy way to achieve such a feature? Otherwise, I'll have to make a module for this I guess.
      Thanks for any help!
    • By AndZyk
      Hello,
      when you add a page you can see the page name of the page under the page title field. But when you change the page title afterwards, you have to go to the settings tab to also change the page name.
      We have many clients that change the page title afterwards but forget to change the page name, because they don't look in the settings tab or forget it.
      Is it possible to show the page name on the content tab under the page title?
      I hate to say this, but I like how WordPress handles this better:

Or should I open an GitHub request?
      Regards, Andreas
    • By Marcel
      Hey,
      I am about to use the tool Create Users Batcher. We have 450 users. When I tryed it with like 20 test users it worked but it took a while. Now my concerns are that 450 might be to stressful? Does anyone have experience with several hundreds of users? My thoughts are to split it in smaller goups and upload them one group after another.
      best wishes
      marcel