Mastering PHP Design Patterns - Free for a Day

FrancisChung

@szabesz,

It's something that takes a long time to be really fluent with it.

And don't try and fit every problem or situation into a Design Pattern as most people who start off with this topic inevitably get excited and try and fit every problem into one.

The trick is to learn to identify when a problem seems like it can elegantly be solved by applying a suitable design pattern to it if one exists at all.

• Like 2

Thanks for the advice! Yeah, I know that Design Patterns are not something that should be forced no matter what, especially when dealing with CMSs like PW. That is why I used the word "study", because I guess I will get a better understanding of PHP by reading this book. Also, Design Patterns are not new to me, back in my ActionScript 3 days I read a lot about them and that helped me there too.

• Like 1

Quote from page 9 of the book:

"Technical debt, the eventual consequence of poor system design, is something that I've found comes with the career of a PHP developer. This has been true for me whether it has been dealing with systems that provide advanced functionality or simple websites. It usually arises because a developer elects to implement a bad design for a variety of reasons; this is when adding functionality to an existing codebase or taking poor design decisions during the initial construction of software. Refactoring can help us address these issues.
SensioLabs (the creators of the Symfony framework) have a tool called Insight that allows developers to calculate the technical debt in their own code. In 2011, they did an evaluation of technical debt in various projects using this tool; rather unsurprisingly they found that WordPress 4.1 topped the chart of all platforms they evaluated with them claiming it would take 20.1 years to resolve the technical debt that the project contains."

• Like 2