hollyvalero

How to Limit Foreach Results to Just the First Item - and ignore the rest?

Hi, I'm coding a pile of research that ends up being tagged for a variety of issue areas: early childhood, human rights, justice, etc. Using a multiple page array field to make it easy to select an unlimited number of issues.

In most cases I want to spit out that whole list when the research blocks come up with titles, links, images, etc. so people can click any issue area listed... like this...

foreach($feature->issue as $item) {
 echo "<li class='iss uk-text-tiny bold caps'><a href='$item->url'>$item->title</a></li>";
 }

But for the home page, I'd like to restrict the listing of issues to just the first one in the list, as that will be the primary issue area... rather than create a separate field.  The total count doesn't matter because I want to use just the first and ignore the rest...

foreach($feature->issue as $item) {

[select the first issue in the list of supplied issues and then spit that one out linked]

echo "<p class='iss uk-text-tiny bold caps'><a href='$item->url'>$item->title</a></p>";
 }

I'm getting better and bringing back everything but don't know if I should try to  put in a counter? Establish a limit? ... appreciate any help. 

$firstItem = $feature->issue->first();
echo "<p class='iss uk-text-tiny bold caps'><a href='$firstItem->url'>$firstItem->title</a></p>";

• Like 3

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By celfred
      Hello !
      I have somehting I don't understand here... Here's my code :
      $allPlayers = $pages->find("parent.name=players, team=$selectedTeam"); $allTrains = $allPlayers->find("template=event, task.name~=ut-action, refPage!='', date>=$startDate, date<=$endDate, sort=refPage, sort=date"); bd('$allTrains:'.$allTrains->count()); // DISPLAYS 0 ???? foreach($allPlayers as $p) { $allTrainings = $p->find("template=event, task.name~=ut-action, refPage!='', date>=$startDate, date<=$endDate, sort=refPage, sort=date"); $test += $allTrainings->count(); } bd('$test:'.$test); // DISPLAYS 883 pages (normal) As you can read from my comments, I have no idea why my first $allTrains stays at 0 while the second request actually finds the corresponding pages. If someone could explain I'd appreciate a lot. I have been struggling with this for hours now... For your information, my pages having template 'event' are in a subtree like so :
      - player 01
        - history-1
          - event 01
         - event 02
         - event ...
        - history-2
          - event 01
          - event ...
      - player 02
        - history-1
          - event 01
         - event 02
         - event ...
        - history-2
          - event 01
          - event ...
      - player ...
        - history-1
          - event 01
         - event 02
         - event ...
        - history-2
          - event 01
          - event ...

Thanks in advance. (sorry for my preceding 'tree' which doesn't look like much. I need to find a way to output this better 😉 )
    • By burning
      Hi All, maybe a really stupid question, but is there a way to sort repeater items on -created?
      Like $page->social_activity('limit=10,sort=created'), with 'social_activity' as the repeater field?
      Tried this but it didnt work 😞 
      Any help appreciated! 
    • By louisstephens
      So I have a bit of code for ad management :
      <?php $ads = $pages->find("parent.template=client, sort=expiration_date"); $alert_count = 0; foreach ($ads as $ad) { $todaysdate = date("F j, Y H:i"); $today = strtotime($todaysdate); $expireson = $ad->expiration_date; $expires = strtotime($expireson); $fiveaway = $expires - 432000; if ($today > $expires) { $alert = $alert_count=+1; echo $alert; } } //end FOREACH ?> It currently finds all the pages with a parent of "client" and then I can drill down to the pages that have "Expired" in my if statement. I wanted to get a "count" of the pages that met the if statement requirements so I could output that number in an alert at the top of the page. When it runs, it currently just prints out "1 1 1 1..." and not the total count of pages. Does anyone know of a way possibly achieving my desired output? I tried count(), but that did not quite produce my desired output.

I should note that I have several other if statements dealing with the date/time for outputting other alerts as well (just didn't think they were needed for this case).
    • By creativejay
      My brain is probably just tiring out on me right this moment, I'm hoping that by the time I write out my problem I'll see the way through it. If you're reading this, it didn't work.
      Structure in question is:
      Series Page Product pages Page Fields for each product page Some of these fields are repeaters Fields within the repeater I have made an array of page fields so I don't have to keep track of them all as I develop:
      $listings = $page->children; // grab all the published children of the Series page foreach($listings as $l) { // loop through the children foreach($l->fields as $f) { } // loop through each child's page fields where they have a value set } Then I break down how to handle each type of field:
      if($f->type == 'FieldtypeFile') { } elseif($f->type == 'FieldtypeDatetime'||$f->name == 'prod_status_pages'||$f->type == 'FieldtypeImage'){ } elseif($f->type == 'FieldtypePage'){ } These are all largely working as expected (though I do have a couple of offset/isset exceptions to clean up...)
      It's when I get to the repeaters that I run into trouble getting the API calls to work.
      Just cycling through the fields as above, the output for a FieldtypeRepeater is the ID of the repeater in that field's array. Everything I read suggests I should treat a repeater the same as I would treat a page, which leads me to the following code.
      elseif($f->type == 'FieldtypeRepeater'){ // Repeaters need special treatment otherwise output is just ID $th .= "<th><b>{$f->label}</b></th>\n"; $trows = ""; // creating an empty variable to build my foreach into foreach($f->fields as $rf){ // looping, I hope, through the fields of the given Repeater ID $trows .= "{$rf->label}: {$f->get($rf)->title} ({$rf->type})<br />\n"; // add an entry to the variable } $rows .= "<td style='padding: 8px 16px; vertical-align: middle;'>".$trows."<br />\n ({$f->type})</td>\n"; // back out to rendering the Repeater field }  
      What I would hope would output in the HTML I've been building is something like:

<td style='...'>Lo temp: -40 (Integer)<br /> Hi temp: 75 (Integer)<br /> Storage Lo: -40 (Integer)<br /> Storage Hi: 85 (Integer)<br /> Functional to: 85 (Integer)<br /> (FieldtypeRepeater)</td> So what I'm trying to do here is loop through the populated fields in the unknown Repeater field, and output them as a simple (so far) text list of the repeater.field and its value (and then its type for my reference).
      I'm afraid typing this out has fixed some syntax but not enough to get this working as I'd hoped.
      Please note not all Repeater fields are integers. Some also have floats, files, or options, and probably a couple others I'm forgetting.

I appreciate your time in taking a look at this!
    • By louisstephens
      I have a foreach loop on a dashboard page where I sorting the pages titles to different columns based on a date field. Unfortunately, I am doing it with multiple different if statements for the sorting (with multiple foreach loops), as I needed something quickly for testing. I thought it would be nice to implement wireSMTP to send an email out to alert the users that created the pages, which I got working in no time. However, now I have hit a roadblock. The dashboard page has a javascript function that refreshes the page every few hours to get the changes in the date, which then triggers the $mail to fire the email out. 
      I guess my question is there a way to limit the emails to be sent out only once the date/time has changed once instead of it firing every time the page refreshes?