gerald

Delete all children of a page

Hi all,

I use version 3.0.62. Is there a way to delete all children of a page with one click - without parent page?

thanks

Almost one click - check out the Batch Child Editor module: http://modules.processwire.com/modules/batch-child-editor/ - either Edit or Replace mode.

You could also code an API snippet and store it in the Tracy Console panel snippets list - just run it from the parent page (either on the frontend, or while editing the parent page in the backend - the console will get $page as the page being edited):

image.thumb.png.9937f33df35ae1902a81f60b1223a92b.png

Or you could use that code in an AdminActions (http://modules.processwire.com/modules/process-admin-actions/) action.

• Like 7

Hi gerald, another Austrian here :)

Adrian's modules are such great timesavers, indeed. But be careful using $pages->delete() as this is irreversible! You can also use $pages->trash() to have one extra step and then click on "empty trash" if you are sure everything is fine.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bernhard said:

You can also use $pages->trash() to have one extra step and then click on "empty trash" if you are sure everything is fine.

On that important point, if you decide to use the BCE module, note this config setting:

image.png.90005d75b50dbd3dada238ba2659d523.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, adrian said:

You could also code an API snippet and store it in the Tracy Console panel snippets list - just run it from the parent page (either on the frontend, or while editing the parent page in the backend - the console will get $page as the page being edited):

This may seem like a dumb question, but running this in the Tracy console actually deletes the pages on the site? Here's me, trashing -> going to trash, checking them all, confirming deletion like a sucker!

1 hour ago, SamC said:

This may seem like a dumb question, but running this in the Tracy console actually deletes the pages on the site? Here's me, trashing -> going to trash, checking them all, confirming deletion like a sucker!

I am not sure I quite understand the question :) Anything you run in the Console panel will do whatever it is meant to do, so if you run that bit of API code, the pages will be deleted. As for the trash - there isn't any real need to empty that though. I do myself at times because I like things clean, but there isn't any actual need to.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, adrian said:

Anything you run in the Console panel will do whatever it is meant to do, so if you run that bit of API code, the pages will be deleted.

Yep, that answers it thanks :) for some reason, I thought running code in tracy was like what "would" happen rather than being the equivalent of running the code in a template file. I think they refer to it as a brain fart... 

15 minutes ago, adrian said:

As for the trash - there isn't any real need to empty that though. I do myself at times because I like things clean, but there isn't any actual need to.

Same reason for me.

1 hour ago, SamC said:

running code in tracy was like what "would" happen

I actually think it would be a great addition to have a "test" option in the Console panel - something that reported the changes that will happen - trouble is I think it would be a huge amount of work to implement.

• Like 2

One more option, but requires a pro module. Lister Pro has a delete/trash action in its set of bundled actions. I use this one a lot.

2018-01-30_095247.png.aac9e3a6489f3f7f41e2b3100738903f.png

• Like 3

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By louisstephens
      So I reread my first draft, and it made absolutely no sense (I deleted it to hopefully better explain myself).  I am trying to make a system (that to me is a bit complicated) utilizing jquery and processwire together. My whole goal is to put a url like https://domain.com/launch?first_name=jim&occupation=builder in a script tag on another site(just a localhost .php page) to then pull out the data for that person and append to divs etc. Basically, the initial script tag would point to "launch" which has a content-type of "application/javascript". Using jquery, I would pull out the persons name and occupation and then make a specific ajax get request to "domain.com/api" (in json format) for a look up of the person. Essentially then I could pull that particular person's information from the json data, and do with it how I please in the "launch" page.  In processwire, I have a page structure like:
      People -Jim Bob (template: person ) --Occupations (template: basic-page) ---Builder (template: occupation) ---Greeter (template: occupation) It is really just a bunch of people with their occupations and a few fields to the occupation template. With the "api" (template: api) url, I was hoping to return all the data (of people) in json format like:
      Example Format:
      { "id": 1, "title": "Jim Bob", "occupations": { "builder": { "id": 44, "title": "Builder", "years_worked": 1, "etc": "ect", }, "Greeter": { "id": 44, "title": "Greeter", "years_worked": 1, "etc": "ect", }, } } Where I get lost is really outputting the page names and nesting in the occupations into json. I have used Pages2JSON before, but I was a bit lost on how to implement what i was thinking.

I have access to all the local host files, but I was hoping to kind of build out a "system" where I could place the script tag/parameters in any project, and be able to interact with the data without doing an ajax call on the actual site. In a way, this would keep processwire handling all the data and requests, and my other "projects" just with a simple script tag. This might all be way too much/over complicated, but I couldn't quite wrap my head around how to achieve it. 
    • By Piguanet
      Hola, soy bastante nueva en esto. Tengo en la papelera de mi CMS 4300 aprox. archivos que no puedo borrar. Cuando le doy la opción vaciar me dice que no se puede y continuan ahi.

• By kaba86
      Hello PW Community, really glad that discovered this CMS recently, it is very strange it took so long That idea of no front design limitations is just awesome!
      Need to say that I have a bit of knowledge of html and css, but almost no php, so I need your help.
      What I want to do is an article posting  cms, with this structure:

- Homepage - Projects - Articles -- Category 1 --- Articles of category 1 -- Category 2 --- Articles of category 2 - About - Contact Found this ProcessWire Profile https://github.com/tutsplus/how-to-create-an-ajax-driven-theme-for-processwire
      It covers almost all my needs, except the menu. When I add a childpage for this page http://artist.nicegrp.com/publications/world-world/ , World:World doesn't appear under Writings & Publications.
      I need a menu that works like a breadcrumb, that shows on the menu the category that you are viewing. So when I'm in articles page, on the menu it shows only articles and it's categories. When I get into a category, that category takes state active link but doesn't show on the menu links and titles for contained articles. How can I do that?
      Sorry for my long writing and English, it is not my native but I hope you understood what I need. Can you help me with that?
      Thank you

• By celfred
      Hello,
      I have a feeling I'm missing an easy thing here (again...). If I trash a page from API with :
      mypage->trash()
      Is there a simple way to restore it if needed ? I can do it in back-end, but I'd like to do it through API with something like
      mypage->restore()
       but this doesn't exit  
      So if you can give me a little help on that, I'd appreciate. Thanks in advance !
    • By John W.
      SYNOPSIS
      A little guide to generating an sitemap.xml using (I believe) a script Ryan originally wrote with the addition of being able to optionally exclude child pages from being output in the sitemap.xml file.
      I was looking back on a small project today where I was using a php script to generate an xml file, I believe the original was written by Ryan. Anyway, I needed a quick fix for the script to allow me to optionally exclude children of pages from being included in the sitemap.xml output.
      OVERVIEW
      A good example of this is a site where if you visit /minutes/ a page displays a list of board meetings which includes a title,  date, description and link to download the .pdf file.
      I have a template called minutes and a template called minutes-document. The first page, minutes, when loaded via /minutes/ simply grabs all of its child pages and outputs the name, description and actual path of an uploaded .pdf file for a visitor to download.
      In my back-end I have the template MINUTES and MINUTES-DOCUMENT. Thus:

So, basically, their employee can login, hover over minutes, click new, then create a new (child) record and name it the date of the meeting e.g. June 3rd, 2016 :

---------------------------
      OPTIONALLY EXCLUDING CHILDREN - SETUP
      Outputting the sitemap.xml and optionally excluding children that belong to a template.
      The setup of the original script is as follows:
      1. Save the file to the templates folder as sitemap.xml.php
      2. Create a template called sitemap-xml and use the sitemap.xml.php file.
      3. Create a page called sitemap.xml using the sitemap-xml template

Now, with that done you will need to make only a couple of slight modifications that will allow the script to exclude children of a template from output to the sitemap.xml
      1. Create a new checkbox field and name it:   sitemap_exclude_children
      2. Add the field to a template that you want to control whether the children are included/excluded from the sitemap. In my example I added it to my "minutes" template.
      3. Next, go to a page that uses a template with the field you added above. In my case, "MINUTES"
      4. Enable the checkbox to exclude children, leave it unchecked to include children.
      For example, in my MINUTES page I enabled the checkbox and now when /sitemap.xml is loaded the children for the MINUTES do not appear in the file.

A SIMPLE CONDITIONAL TO CHECK THE "sitemap_exclude_children" VALUE
      This was a pretty easy modification to an existing script, adding only one line. I just figure there may be others out there using this script with the same needs.
      I simply inserted the if condition as the first line in the function:
      function renderSitemapChildren(Page $page) { if($page->sitemap_exclude_children) return ""; ... ... ...  
      THE FULL SCRIPT WITH MODIFICATION
      <?php /** * ProcessWire Template to power a sitemap.xml * * 1. Copy this file to /site/templates/sitemap-xml.php * 2. Add the new template from the admin. * Under the "URLs" section, set it to NOT use trailing slashes. * 3. Create a new page at the root level, use your sitemap-xml template * and name the page "sitemap.xml". * * Note: hidden pages (and their children) are excluded from the sitemap. * If you have hidden pages that you want to be included, you can do so * by specifying the ID or path to them in an array sent to the * renderSiteMapXML() method at the bottom of this file. For instance: * * echo renderSiteMapXML(array('/hidden/page/', '/another/hidden/page/')); * * patch to prevent pages from including children in the sitemap when a field is checked / johnwarrenllc.com * 1. create a checkbox field named sitemap_exclude_children * 2. add the field to the parent template(s) you plan to use * 3. when a new page is create with this template, checking the field will prevent its children from being included in the sitemap.xml output */ function renderSitemapPage(Page $page) { return "\n<url>" . "\n\t<loc>" . $page->httpUrl . "</loc>" . "\n\t<lastmod>" . date("Y-m-d", $page->modified) . "</lastmod>" . "\n</url>"; } function renderSitemapChildren(Page $page) { if($page->sitemap_exclude_children) return ""; /* Aded to exclude CHILDREN if field is checked */ $out = ''; $newParents = new PageArray(); $children = $page->children; foreach($children as $child) { $out .= renderSitemapPage($child); if($child->numChildren) $newParents->add($child); else wire('pages')->uncache($child); } foreach($newParents as $newParent) { $out .= renderSitemapChildren($newParent); wire('pages')->uncache($newParent); } return $out; } function renderSitemapXML(array $paths = array()) { $out = '<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>' . "\n" . '<urlset xmlns="http://www.sitemaps.org/schemas/sitemap/0.9">'; array_unshift($paths, '/'); // prepend homepage foreach($paths as $path) { $page = wire('pages')->get($path); if(!$page->id) continue; $out .= renderSitemapPage($page); if($page->numChildren) { $out .= renderSitemapChildren($page); } } $out .= "\n</urlset>"; return $out; } header("Content-Type: text/xml"); echo renderSitemapXML(); // Example: echo renderSitemapXML(array('/hidden/page/'));  
      In conclusion, I have used a couple different processwire sitemap generating modules. But for my needs, the above script is fast and easy to setup/modify.
      - Thanks