Server memory problems

suntrop

Hi guys

Since last night I have trouble with my cloud server. It is a VPS with 2 CPU, 2 GB RAM and just one small website installed (about 30 pages, nothing fancy and less than 50 visitors/day). I am not a server expert, but I would believe these resource should be fine for PW (3.0.42). The hosting company just blames the website script and something uses too much RAM. It worked fine the last six month and I didn't change anything the last 30 days.

Is there anything I can do to double check? 

1 hour ago, suntrop said:

The hosting company just blames the website script

That's what they always do.

I would ask for 2nd or 3rd level support, first of all.

Do they provide some sort of server health monitoring tools? It sounds like you don't have the necessary rights to install this yourself, but I'm sure your host uses something like that: http://www.dnsstuff.com/free-server-monitoring-tools

• Like 1

Did you install any new module or are you running any complex cron job? Ask the hosting company to send you a log so you can see what's happening. Usually is MySQL the usual suspect of using too much ram, not PW. 

Thanks for your help!

2 hours ago, szabesz said:

running cPanel perhaps?

No cPanel, a custom made tool. I had installed Tracy Debugger, but couldn't see anything wrong. Maybe I will check the ProDevTools.

2 hours ago, dragan said:

I would ask for 2nd or 3rd level support, first of all.

Do they provide some sort of server health monitoring tools? It sounds like you don't have the necessary rights to install this yourself, but I'm sure your host uses something like that: http://www.dnsstuff.com/free-server-monitoring-tools

On monday I will see t get in touch with someone else. Unfortunately there is no monitoring but I do have rights to install software. Had New Relic on my mind, but you link looks like a quite nice list. I am not that familiar with installing apps on the terminal, but I can clone the server and "test ruin" everything :-)

2 hours ago, Sergio said:

Did you install any new module or are you running any complex cron job? Ask the hosting company to send you a log so you can see what's happening. Usually is MySQL the usual suspect of using too much ram, not PW. 

No, there is nothing new the last 30 days. It is a rather small business website. Just usual pages like "About", "Team" etc. There is almost nothing special in there. I will check on MySQL!

Currently the site works fine. But I increased memory to 4 GB. I find it hard to believe I am using 4 GB for a tiny website :-) 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, suntrop said:

Currently the site works fine. But I increased memory to 4 GB. I find it hard to believe I am using 4 GB for a tiny website :-) 

Indeed. I run a medium website in a VPS with 2GB and hardly use more than 70% of the RAM.

• Like 1