Form Builder - Now Available

ryan

Are these two different questions? :) The answer is the same for both though. You can populate a select box (or checkboxes, radios or asmSelect) from page titles just like you can with Page fields in ProcessWire. In Form Builder, you just select the "page" input type when creating a field. Like in PW fields, it'll ask you for the parent/template/etc., that you want to pull pages from as your selectable options. Unlike ProcessWire fields, in Form Builder you can also have selectable fields that aren't connected to pages.

The latest version of Form Builder (0.1.7) now has a File Upload input type, so we're a little ahead of schedule on having this ready. It's currently in beta test, but available for anyone that wants to try it out as a download from the Form Builder support board. So for anyone that was waiting for file upload capability in Form Builder forms, we've now got it.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Marty, You now have access to the form builder board. Also I'm posting a new version 0.1.9 tomorrow morning which includes some file field fixes discovered by way of mademyday earlier today.

• 2 weeks later...

Form Builder may be perfect for my next project. A couple questions:

1. Is there a way to populate a drop down lists based on a previous selection? eg. selecting a state populates the next list with counties in that state?
  2. Also the client is requesting multi page forms to split up the long form
  3. Finally is there any sort of Conditional Logic where a form will present a set of questions based on a previous choice?

Thanks.

Is there a way to populate a drop down lists based on a previous selection? eg. selecting a state populates the next list with counties in that state?

Form Builder doesn't get involved with individual fields (other than a custom files field made for it). So it will reflect whatever behavior is provided by the Inputfield modules installed on your system. I'm not aware of any Inputfield modules that provide the capability you mentioned yet, but it's certainly feasible.

Also the client is requesting multi page forms to split up the long form

Multi-page forms are not currently supported, though on the roadmap.

Finally is there any sort of Conditional Logic where a form will present a set of questions based on a previous choice?

Some basic conditional logic will be added to ProcessWire's Inputfield system within the next couple of versions, so Form Builder will inherit the same conditional logic at that time. However, it is currently possible to support conditional logic on your own with javascript manipulation of the form. There are several instances in the PW admin where this is being done with Inputfields already.

• 2 weeks later...

If you need the same form in multiple languages, the best way to go is create multiple forms. Create the first one, then create the same form in another language -- Form Builder makes this as easy as copy+paste with it's "export" tab on the form, and "import" option when creating a new form. This is preferable to a single form with multiple languages because it ensures that the form entries/results are separated by language.

Quick pre-sale question :)

I am planning on using the form builder on 2 or 3 websites that I'm developing. Question is: if I upgrade them down the line to 2.3, would the module still work? Or I'm better off buying 'dev' version which will give me updates for a year?

Form Builder will always work on whatever the current version of ProcessWire is. The current Form Builder versions work on either 2.2 or 2.3. Though Form Builder, like most ProcessWire modules, are very likely to keep working just fine, regardless of version.

All Form Builder versions include 1 year of support and upgrades. The only reason to go for the 'dev' version would be if you planned to install it on some unknown quantity of sites you develop over that year (as there is no limit). Whereas the 'pro' version is for 3 sites, and the 'single' version is for 1 live site. But all include the 1-year of support and upgrades. You can always go for the 'single' or 'pro' and later upgrade to the 'dev' (we just subtract what you've already paid from the total, when you upgrade). 

• Like 2

I must have been living under a rock recently, I've only just noticed the 'Form Builder' has been released. I will be getting this for sure.

One quick question: will I have the ability to have multiple forms on a page? For example, a general contact form and a newsletter email capture form?

• Like 1

Yes - I'm pretty sure one or two of the rendering options allow for that Ray. Certainly the iframe way (which looks nice and not at all like an iframe :)) will and I'm pretty sure the roll-your-own-HTML way of doing it will work too.

As an example, there are hidden fields at the end of the forms like this:

1:contact-us:125e5bf0ddbe17eb22d269da97b0188f

So it knows the form ID and name from that which I assume is so that you can use the same field names across different forms.

For the best experience though, I think you need the latest Dev branch (2.3) of ProcessWire to make use of the latest version of FormBuilder.

Sorry, lots of "pretty sure's" and assumptions in there now I read it back :D

• Like 1

One quick question: will I have the ability to have multiple forms on a page? For example, a general contact form and a newsletter email capture form?

I honestly haven't tried it yet. But if for some reason it doesn't work, I'm sure I'll be able to make it work pretty easily. 

• 2 months later...

I have two jobs and even as 1 has slowed down, I just purchased a dev license because to me it's worth it, and it's supporting PW!! I know using it and PW will make my site building go 10X smoother!  Thanks Ryan so much, looking forward to using it. I can't tell you how many times I have had to find form processing scripts and the $$$ I have wasted on scripts which ultimatley broke or failed.

• Like 1