Form Builder - Now Available

ryan

I'm excited to announce that the ProcessWire Form Builder is now available from the DesignIntelligence bookstore:

http://store.di.net/...re-form-builder

I'm initially giving a 20% discount on the prices there (coupon code PWFB-BETA) because I'm still adding new things to it at a rapid pace, and feel it should still be called "beta test" (and not full price) until it's been out in the wild for a bit. However, a few of us here have been using the Form Builder on production sites for awhile already, and it's working great. But if you don't mind using a pre-release version and giving me feedback or suggestions where appropriate, then there's a nice discount for now (which will expire when we reach version 1.0).

If you are wondering what the DesignIntelligence bookstore is, they are one of my long time clients and have agreed to let me provide the Form Builder through there. I actually setup and manage this online store already for them (and have for years), so feel very comfortable putting the Form Builder here. But when we grow big enough, we'll setup our own.

When you get Form Builder, you'll also get access to the new Form Builder Support board (in this forum). This is where regular software updates are posted (ZIP files), among other things. So PM me when you do so that I can add you to it.

Thanks for your support of ProcessWire and Form Builder!

post-2-0-61182800-1347999313_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

It is a lot of fun when you get playing with it. I've been building some test forms earlier this evening to try it out and will build some more serious ones later in the week.

It's powerful, impressive stuff which seems to be the ProcessWire way :)

• Like 2

Looks amazing, great work!

One question: is the image and file field supported at this time? (with drag-drop adding of images)

It doesn't state it doesn't, but it was discussed in another thread as being potentially dangerous. (and I agree)

I would possibly integrate this with known registered users on a site, so no issue for me there.

One question: is the image and file field supported at this time? (with drag-drop adding of images)

Not yet. Lots of context and security considerations with this that are different from what they would be on the admin side, so going to approach this inputfield separately from the ones already included with PW. However, anyone that purchases FormBuilder now will get file/image fields (and a lot more) as soon as they are ready.

• Like 1

Dear Process Wire (Ryan Cramer)

I was thrilled when I heard the news for this module!

Best of luck in your new modules. I hope this is just the start of many more successes to come.

Regards,

PS: now i am using this form with License :) its really easy to use and work with it,

• Like 1

Hi Ryan,

Quick question about licensing. Would I need separate licenses for subdomains if they are current on different servers?

(i.e. dev.domain.com and test.domain.com are on one vhost, and domian.com is on another.)

Either way is fine, just want to know what I need when I talk to the controller of the purse strings.

:)

• 1 month later...

Thanks Arjen!

When I buy a one year license can we use it for one year or can we download upgrades and recieve support for one year?

You can use it forever. The 1 year applies to the support and upgrades.

Thanks Ryan, just bought the module to try it out as I couldn't wait any longer. I just can't believe how much faster (and better-coded) it is than writing hundreds of lines of code myself!

One concern/query:

What effect does embedding them as iframes have on them? I can see they are created on their own pages (which users probably won't guess the url for), I just wasn't sure if there were any downsides to this long-term?

Also is this the appropriate place to post questions about the form builder?

Thanks Ryan and great work!

EDIT: I'm a dummy, just noticed this page

• Like 1

Thanks for getting Form Builder! You should have access to the Form Builder support board now.

What effect does embedding them as iframes have on them? I can see they are created on their own pages (which users probably won't guess the url for), I just wasn't sure if there were any downsides to this long-term?

It doesn't actually create pages for each form, as they are all handled via URL segments. I'm not aware of any major downsides to using embed method A or B, and there are whole lot of upsides. I much prefer these iframe based embed methods because it makes the forms bulletproof -- they are fully isolated and immune to any unwanted effects from other stylesheets or scripts. The only [minor] downside I can think of is that if someone uses it without javascript, they will either see some extra whitespace at the bottom of the form, or have to use a scroll bar, depending on the form length.

Yes I got your email thanks, and thanks for your reply concerning Iframes, I guess that's what Wufoo and all the others use anyway. The Form Builder page that now lives in the page tree, should i just leave that as it is?

Top work on the module Ryan, it really is fast and fun to use, I hope it will mean a bit less financial and time pressure on you, it can only benefit PW in the long-term.

Yes I got your email thanks, and thanks for your reply concerning Iframes, I guess that's what Wufoo and all the others use anyway.

The iframe embed method is optional with Form Builder. But if you want to add a form to your site in the simplest/fastest way, then it's the best way to go. However, many still use embed option C, which outputs the form markup directly on your page without any iframe and leaves you in full control of how you want the markup to be styled (whether using Form Builder's stylesheets or your own). Personally, I only use embed option C if I'm creating a one-off form that needs to be styled to a particular page, unique from others on a site, like this one.

The Form Builder page that now lives in the page tree, should i just leave that as it is?

The page is required by Form Builder, but you can move it somewhere else if you want to. It doesn't have to be at the root level, but it should remain publicly accessible.

Is it possible to populate a selectbox bases on a page reference? So a Parent of "Brand", with childs "Dell", "Sony", "Apple", "You get the idea" to populate a selectbox "Brands"

Is it possible to populate a selecbox based on a page reference? So a parent of "Brand", with childs "Apple", "Sony", "Dell" could populate the selectbox "Brands"??