Bugged admin panel

Roberts R

Does anyone have issues when sometimes PW does not load page tree? I have came across with all PW versions I have used.

Screenshot_1.jpg.0c7acb3370ead56f3c5f9fd7c3152672.jpg

I can't open "Sākums". I try to refresh. There is no dropdowns from Setup/Modules/Access. EDIT: this didn't help : "To fix it i have to logout - but only from mobile version since User menu does not popout"

Sadly I can't replicate it.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, BitPoet said:

Haven't seen that before. Any browser adddons that may mess with the backend js? Any errors in the js console when the issue happens?

Firefox. No console output. It not like I put addon and then it stopped - only have addblocker. It just happened when I browsed admin panel at random time. Cleared history/cache.

I can login with chrome - and it works fine.

EDIT :

I managed to fix it for me somehow :

Video of issue.

https://eroot.tinytake.com/sf/MjI5NTEyMl83MDQ2MzQz

16 hours ago, gmclelland said:

Try disabling it for that site and see if that fixes the issue.

Better yet, something like this: I have three different browsers in use: one for regular browsing with plugins installed (Vivaldi with "adblocker", Dark Reader, downloader, etc...), one for development/PW (clean Chrome) and one for logging into 3rd party online accounts only (clean Firefox). Nice and tidy setup :P

Same here (Firefox 58.0.1 and 59.0b6). I saw it first when testing 3.0.86, but since then twice with 3.0.62. Navigation stops working, you have to use an url to log out (/{processwire admin}/login/logout/).

Workaround: delete cookies and restart browser. A rather unsuitable procedure for customers...

2 minutes ago, kongondo said:

Wild guess..

Does it also occur if using other admin themes besides UIKit?

First I thought it could be UIKit-related, but I tested this admin theme with 3.0.86 only, i.e. not with 3.0.62. So, no... I guess it's a problem with sessions, but had no time to take a closer look.

Maybe it's a browser caching issue?  I wonder if a hard reload in Chrome would fix it?  By that I mean hold the Shift key and click on the Reload button.  When it's borked, can you open another browser and see the exact same problem?

Have you configured any other static asset caching in .htaccess file or in something like cloudflare.com?

Just some thoughts..

1 minute ago, gmclelland said:

Maybe it's a browser caching issue?  I wonder if a hard reload in Chrome would fix it?  By that I mean hold the Shift key and click on the Reload button.  When it's borked, can you open another browser and see the exact same problem?

Have you configured any other static asset caching in .htaccess file or in something like cloudflare.com?

Just some thoughts..

It's not a browser caching issue, that was the first thing I checked. I guess we have to look at something that happens when sessions get updated. Maybe the values for the keys ProcessPageAdd and AdminThemeDefault get lost. However, I don't understand why deleting cookies is not sufficient to bring the nav back, why it's necessary to restart the browser, too.

I couldn't reproduce the issue exactly, especially I couldn't found an issue regarding the session data so far. What I found was something similar: When you click around in the admin area (UIKit), it's relatively easy to provoke a network error. If one occur, chances are high that the page list disappears and is not to refresh with a reload of the page (in Firefox: cmd+shift+R [macOS] or ctrl + F5 [Windows]).

Maybe this similar issue is an UIKit one, but it' just a guess: Usually there's a div container .PageList and style attr "display: block;" around the page list. If the list disappears like described above, there are additional styles applied: "overflow: hidden; height: 1px; padding-top: 0px; margin-top: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px;". The list is still there, so in this case there's definitely no issue with session data involved.

Strange thing is that in this case of a similar issue you are able to refresh and to get the page list displayed again (and e.g. to get the link to the Debug Mode Tools to work again) throuph opening the page list in a new window. Maybe anyone have an idea what's causing THIS issue. 

14 minutes ago, Lutz Heckelmann said:

to provoke a network error.

I wanted to mention this but forgot. I have seen this several times in ProcessWire 3, but can't recall how far back I started noticing it with respect to the exact version. I think I've seen the issue in other admin themes as well (besides UIKit) but can't say I am 100% sure. However, a page refresh always works for me. I've never had to log out and in again. I think I trigger the network error if I click around too fast, saving in different tabs.

Edited by kongondo

49 minutes ago, kongondo said:

I think I trigger the network error if I click around too fast, saving in different tabs.

Yes, but it seems to become a lot easier to trigger a network error with the dev versions. I tested with 3.0.84 right now: I was logged in, clicked the edit button on an empty test page (on the front-end), the editor was loading (I thought it loaded complete), I clicked on Pages (main nav) – network error, the pages list disappeared. cmd+shift+R, the page reloaded, the problem persists. You have to open the pages list in a new window/tab to get the pages list back.

I have to setup a new dev server this weekend, will continue testing with 3.0.90.

• 1 month later...
On 2/3/2018 at 2:02 AM, kongondo said:

I wanted to mention this but forgot. I have seen this several times in ProcessWire 3, but can't recall how far back I started noticing it with respect to the exact version. I think I've seen the issue in other admin themes as well (besides UIKit) but can't say I am 100% sure. However, a page refresh always works for me. I've never had to log out and in again. I think I trigger the network error if I click around too fast, saving in different tabs.

network error is the trigger. And sometimes its easy to trigger. Just got report from client that he have same issue.

Opening any part on admin site in new tab fixes it. refreshing/logout does not.

Is there a way to perm fix? Talking clients to use PW over WP was struggle ... this does not help as it happens when I present PW :D

• 2 years later...
On 3/21/2018 at 4:40 PM, Roberts R said:

WTF this actually works! I’ve also had this problem a couple of times since upgrading to ProcessWire 3. Somehow all kinds of Javascript stop working. I can see that mouseenter and mouseleave events are attached to the menu buttons, for example, but the events don’t seem to fire. There is nothing in the Firefox console to indicate an error. Pretty annoying stuff. I’ve just had a client report this to me as well and the best I could tell them was to try logging in through a private tab…

As @Roberts R says, this should really be looked into. It’s a frustrating experience even for me just working on my own stuff, but clients are rendered completely helpless when it happens.

• 1 month later...
On 5/11/2020 at 2:31 PM, Jan Romero said:
On 3/21/2018 at 4:40 PM, Roberts R said:

WTF this actually works!

I've been hit by this bug the very first time, also in Firefox (v78.0.1 in my case) which I rarely use for working in the admin, so properly that is why I have not yet experienced this issue before, though as far as I understand others experienced this in Chrome too.

I can confirm that opening a new admin page in Firefox does indeed fixed the issue.