Image upload via 'choose file' from any source

modifiedcontent

It would be great if 'choose file' in the image field would be able to handle other input sources than only the client's OS file manager; Amazon S3/cloud storage, Dropbox, an image folder on an intranet, another folder on the same server where PW is installed, whatever.

It would be super convenient if you could just upload images to a folder/directory in the templates folder or root, without any processing, and be able to access that as a source option in the image field. Any way to make that happen?

I had started a thread about this here. BitPoet posted a very helpful partial solution specifically for Zenphoto, but it would be great if there was a more source agnostic solution built into Processwire.

Letting Processwire download images from any external media gallery/repository would be a good alternative to having a full centralized Media Manager.

Or am I missing something that would make this impossible/a bad idea?

Edit: Robin S has a module that adds one alternative input option.

• 1 year later...
On 1/20/2018 at 10:59 AM, modifiedcontent said:

It would be super convenient if you could just upload images to a folder/directory in the templates folder or root, without any processing, and be able to access that as a source option in the image field. Any way to make that happen?

I know this is an older post, but you should be able to do some of this now with this module:

• Thanks 1

On 1/20/2018 at 11:59 PM, modifiedcontent said:

handle other input sources than only the client's OS file manager; Amazon S3/cloud storage, Dropbox, an image folder on an intranet, another folder on the same server where PW is installed, whatever.

Images from cloud storage providers could be added via URL with this module.

I agree that it would be awesome to have all these options available in the core image field. Maybe file a feature request?
EDIT: But that would add too many setting options to the core field that most of the users won't need. The image field is extendable via hooks and class inheritance. So other modules can add that functionality to the core field on demand.

Edited by gebeer
addition
  • Thanks 1