XAMPP ports keep changing

SamC

My localhost sites suddenly slowed right down and I noticed whenever I clicked a link or refreshed the page, the ports on the XAMPP contol panel for apache keep changing, like flicking through a bunch of ports before settling on '80, 443'. I tried changing the port to 8080, then 8888, but still the same thing. never had this issue before and been using it for years.

I use vhosts but I've never experienced this before. I've attached a vid to show what I'm talking about. I'm trying to avoid reinstalling xampp because I have a bunch of local databases in there.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/59jayjquuwrntgp/apache-ports.flv?dl=0

Does anyone know what might be causing this? The only thing I've change is adding xdebug to php.ini for visual code, not changed any apache conf settings.

XDebug and XAMPP have quite an on-and-off relationship, and your problem has been encountered before. I'm not sure if there's a way around it without disabling XDebug. Perhaps you can find a different compatible build of it, or upgrade XAMPP and see if it has been fixed there. There also used to be some incompatibilities between XAMPP and Zend Optimizer where commenting out the Zend section in php.ini fixed a number of XDebug problems, but that was years ago. Might be worth a try though.

• Thanks 1

Hi @BitPoet, thanks for the info.

Is there an alternative for me re: debugging? I installed xdebug just to use it in visual code but I'm always willing to change tactics.

Or maybe change the server.

Do the same problems exist with windows WAMP?

12 minutes ago, SamC said:

Do the same problems exist with windows WAMP?

No idea. After struggling with these "convenience" packages I've switched to using IIS on Windows and the distribution's Apache on Linux. Installing the necessary additions like PHP, MySQL etc. is a walk in the park with MS Web Platform Installer or the Linux distributions' package managers, and they all have reasonable defaults nowadays. Together with MySQL Workbench I have everything I need and am less dependent on the *AMP-packagers' whims to include a module or not.

14 hours ago, BitPoet said:

There also used to be some incompatibilities between XAMPP and Zend Optimizer where commenting out the Zend section in php.ini fixed a number of XDebug problems

Commenting out (xampp/php/php.ini):

[Xdebug]
; zend_extension = C:\xampp\php\ext\php_xdebug-2.6.0beta1-7.1-vc14.dll
; xdebug.remote_enable=1
; xdebug.remote_autostart=true

...solved the ports issue.