thmsnhl

Working together in larger Teams

Hi everybody,

we started our first Processwire driven project in my new company and for the first time, I was working on one site with more than 2 colleagues on the same site.

It didn't take long for us to stumble across some problems when multiple developers work at the same time, conflicts with updating the database on vagrant machines, like duplicate entries for page IDs, errors when setting up fields and stuff like this. We ended up working on a dedicated database server, that we linked to our vagrant machines and most of the problems were gone, but the performance of this constellation is really bad compared to our first approach with database running on vagrant machines.

I already tried to find a solution in the forums but I couldn't find anyone with problems like this.

So I was wondering: how do you manage projects with multiple developers on vagrant machines in a git-based workflow?

• Like 3

Hey thmsnhl, 

I'm using ProcessWire for a few projects at work as well as for my personal projects. Originally coming from Ruby On Rails I also encountered problems with our database synchronization when it comes to team development on a single project. Depending on the project we solved this using Field/Template Export/Import while also only working on certain parts of the page. Most projects are already finished in terms of template/field structure so there is no need to have an always up-to-date local database snapshot.

If the project is not finished in terms of template/field structure we usually sit together and draft a "this-solves-everything"-kind of template/field and synchronize this to our local databases once and then just code ahead.

Other frameworks solve this by using Migrations and although ProcessWire does not support Migrations in the core (as of now) you can use this module: https://modules.processwire.com/modules/migrations/ (Here are a few code samples and documentation: https://lostkobrakai.github.io/Migrations/).

This module does not directly add tables and columns to the database like RoR migrations do but instead allows you to do nearly everything you can do in the Admin UI using code. You can for example create templates, move fields around, install modules, setup users etc.

It can be a bit tedious at first to learn all the new APIs this module offers but the benefits, especially for large projects, speak for themselves. 

These migrations can be safely checked into your git repository and whenever one of your teammates encounters a problem with his out-to-date database he can simply run the migrations files. 

So instead of adding templates and fields on production you write them in code and deploy your changes to production, then you migrate either using the CLI utility or the admin backend. You can also integrate this into your build toolchain (like Amazon CodeStar). 

Check this code example I bet it feels quite familiar:

<?php

class Migration_2018_01_16_12_32 extends Migration {
    public static $description = "Add postalcode to a hotel";

public function update() {
        $this->insertIntoTemplate('hotel', 'postalcode', 'title');

$this->editInTemplateContext('home', 'postalcode', function($f){
            $f->label = "Hotel Postalcode";
            $f->columnWidth = 50;
        });
    }

public function downgrade() {
        $t = $this->templates->get('hotel');
        $t->fieldgroup->remove('postalcode');
        $t->fieldgroup->save();
    }
}

This adds a `postalcode` field right after the title field to the hotel template. And it removes this field when you rollback your migration.

This is how we tackle this problem.

• Like 13

Thank you Mobiletrooper, I haven't found this earlier but it looks like a solid approach!

I will give this a try in the future.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Juergen
      Hello @ all,
      I am creating a new inputfield/fieldtype to store opening hours, but I am struggeling to save values from multiple dynamic created inputfields in 1 column of the database.
      Scenario:
      The user can enter one or more opening times per day in a UI.
      Fe:
      Monday open from 08:00 to 12:00 and from 14:00 to 17:00 Tuesday open from 08:00 to 12:00 and from 14:00 to 19:00 and so on
      Via a little JavaScript you can add as much opening times as you need per day - the additional inputfield will be created dynamically.
      After form submission all the values are in the POST array -> this works (see example below):
      ProcessWire\WireInputData Object ( [openinghours_mo-0-start] => 09:00 [openinghours_mo-0-finish] => 13:00 [openinghours_mo-1-start] => 14:00 [openinghours_mo-1-finish] => 18:00 [openinghours_mo-2-start] => 21:00 [openinghours_mo-2-finish] => 23:00 [openinghours_tu-0-start] => 09:00 [openinghours_tu-0-finish] => 13:00 [openinghours_tu-1-start] => 14:00 [openinghours_tu-1-finish] => 18:00 [openinghours_we-0-start] => 09:00 [openinghours_we-0-finish] => 13:00 [openinghours_we-1-start] => 14:00 [openinghours_we-1-finish] => 18:00 [openinghours_th-0-start] => 09:00 [openinghours_th-0-finish] => 13:00 [openinghours_th-1-start] => 14:00 [openinghours_th-1-finish] => 18:00 [openinghours_fr-0-start] => 09:00 [openinghours_fr-0-finish] => 13:00 [openinghours_fr-1-start] => 14:00 [openinghours_fr-1-finish] => 18:00 [openinghours_sa-0-start] => [openinghours_sa-0-finish] => [openinghours_so-0-start] => [openinghours_so-0-finish] => ) The property name is always the name attribute of the field 😉 . If the property is empty means closed on that day.
      Now I need to combine all those values into 1 array (or json array) and store it in the database in 1 column called 'hours' in my case (see screenshot below):

In my ___processInput(WireInputData $input) method I have tried to make it work like this:
      public function ___processInput(WireInputData $input): self { $name = $this->attr('name'); $value = $this->attr('value'); //input object includes always every input on the page, so lets filter out only inputs from this field //we need to do this, because the number of values is variable - so extract only values that starts with $name.'_' $nameAttributes = []; foreach($input as $key=>$value){ if(substr($key, 0, strlen($name.'_')) === $name.'_'){ $nameAttributes[$key] = $value; } } // loop through all inputfields of this fieldtype $time_values = []; foreach($nameAttributes as $nameAttr => $value) { $time_values[$nameAttr] = $value; } } //save it in the database $input->set('hours', serialize($time_values)); return $this; } The only important part of this code is the last part with the serialize function.
      After saving it will create a record in the database, but the value is always NULL (default value) (see below).

Checking $time_values returns all the values, but printing out "$this" shows me that the property "hours" inside the Openinghours object is empty (see below) - so the mistake must be there, but I dont know where?!?!?!?
      [title] => Home [openinghours] => ProcessWire\OpeningHours Object ( [data] => Array ( [hours] => ) ) If I check the sleepValue() method or the sanitizeValue() - they are also empty. So it seems that the values will not reach these methods. I havent found a clear documentation of whats going on behind the saving process of an inputfield.
      As far as I know the saving process starts with the form submission. The values are in the POST array and will be processed by the processInput() method. Before they will be saved in the database they will be sanitized by the sanitizeValue() mehtod and afterwards they will be prepared for storage in the sleepValue() method.  The last step is the storage itself.
      Has someone an idea what is missing by storing values from multiple fields into 1 database column or has someone a working example of such a scenario on github to help me out.
      A clear explanation of the storage process will be also helpful.
      Thanks and best regards
    • By Pip
      Hi Everyone 
      I've been working on Processwire for two months now. Structuring the website as needed. Unsure why but I'm getting this one now. Seems my fields has crashed. 
      I've tried googling some answers but can't seem to find a step by step guide on how to rectify this. Any advise? Practically new on this. 
      TIA. 

• By Rodd
      Hi everyone!
      I have a website in a production environment and I want to duplicate it in a local environment. I exported the content of the website (with the 'Site Profile Exporter' module) but I cannot use it actually. I've got an issue with the database. I imported this one in MAMP then.

I also exported the pages (with the 'ProcessPagesExportImport' module), but I cannot import it to my local website because the fields don't exist. So I created this fields, but I have this error :
      How can I use the elements that already exist and are presents in my database? How can I duplicate correctly the templates, fields and pages?
      Thanks by advance
      PS: Sorry if my english is bad

• By DooM
      Hello guys,
      I'm trying to figure out how to sync fields and templates between staging and production environments.
      I've found Migrations module by Lostkobrakai, but with use of it all the fields and templates must be created by API, which is kind of uncomfortable.
      I also tried ProcessDatabaseBackups module which can export only certain tables, but I don't think it's the best practice to do that.
      How do you guys solve this problem? It's very annoying to setup everything three times (dev, staging, production).
      Thanks a lot :)
    • By iipa
      Hi everybody!
      I have been reading about Multisite, but it kinda bugs me that every topic talks about having both admin and database same for multiple sites.
      I have a project where customer tests it by adding content to the site, while I still need to do some changes here and there in code, maybe some in database. If something crashes for a while, customer can't keep testing, which is a bit problematic.
      Is there any way that I could have two separate versions of one site ("production" and development) that share the same database, but are otherwise independent? Just the thought of having to migrate database every time I want to show client something new gives me anxiety 😁