How to Structure my Site

hezmann

Hi!  I've just started on ProcessWire, coming from Wordpress.  I've done several sites in WP but this new one is just to data driven for Wordpress to handle without so many plugins and custom code it just seemed like there must be a better option so here I am.  I used to do a lot of stuff in Access (many years ago) and have some experience with PHP/MySQL.

I've had a look at a few tutorials and created the planets website etc.  I have a specific structure that I'm looking to create so thought I would ask for some expert advice before making every mistake in the book. :)

I do a lot of long distance (inn to inn) walking and am always looking for new ones which involves searching many different sites.  I've yet to find a good repository for this type of thing so thought I would build my own.  The basic structure is (more info added later but trying to get basic idea of best practices):

Walks -> Walk Variations <->Walk Segments <-> Walk Towns (go into Walk Segments as Start and End Towns).

Walks <->Links

Walk Towns <-> Accomodation, Walk Towns <-> Dining

Should I be using ProFields?  How should I structure this as far as fields/templates?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Heather

Welcome to PW :-)

Could you describe a bit what those elements contain? I mean what kind of content would go inside "walk variations" or "walk segments"?

Also, do you plan to include some maps?

Is there maybe another similar site that does more or less what you're trying to do?

• Like 1

Here's a little schema pic...

image.png.72703231eaff8c978b2ea38a462689ec.png

I will definitely want to have maps.  The Walk Segments will have KML files which will need to be displayed on maps.  Walk Towns will need to be as well, using the latitude and longitude values.  I'll need to filter the walks by things like Country, Distance, Difficulty, #of days (total segments), Total elevation gain etc.

This site - https://www.inntravel.co.uk/holidays/walking-holidays - sells walking holidays.  Their faceted search is similar to what I want, but I would like to have a map which shows the applicable walks when filtered.  That site also doesn't have maps for the walks.  (Thanks for that @dragan - it's definitely a good idea for me to have a better look at sites that are doing similar).

Heading over to check out the docs pwired suggested now.

Thanks!

Heather

image.png

Edited by hezmann