gerritvanaaken

Global access to all comments

Hi there!

I need to gather a list of all comments, regardless of the parent page of each comment. Is there a global $comments object, which can do this? Something like:

foreach($comments->find('sort=-created') as $comment) {
// show comment
}

I did not find anything similar in the forums. Can someone help me?

I came up with a pretty "close-to-the-metal" solution. Not perfect, but seems to work:

$comments = $database->query('SELECT * FROM field_comments ORDER BY created DESC');
foreach($comments as $c) {
  // $c is an array with raw database values of those comments
}

Not tested, but you could search by template(s) and doing something like:

<?php

$replies = $pages->find("template=your_template");
	foreach ($repliess as $reply ) {
		foreach ($reply->comments as $message) {
			# code...
		}
	}

?>

@louisstephens Thank you for your thoughts!

Sure, I could use these "nested" queries to gather a "global comments array", which I would to sort by "created" afterwards. But these are too many steps and seems not very performance efficient.

this should work :

$field = $fields->get('comments'); 
$comments = $field->type->find($field, "sort=-created");

• Like 6

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By quickjeff
      Hi Guys,
      I am running a page template that contains a filter form that allows users to display results based on number of  comments. 
      Here is what I am thinking about doing: 
      -add new field called total_comments 
      -somehow populate this field every time a new comment is added or removed by admin with count($page->comments)
      -use form filter to display results that the selector form has found.
      Example: $selector = “total_comments>=$q”; 

My question to everyone: Is this a good approach? If so how do I get another field to update based on the comment module adding or removing a comment? 
    • By quickjeff
      Hey Guys, 
      I am using the https://processwire.com/api/fieldtypes/comments/ to  allow users to comment and rate. Whats the best approach to get an average of all the star ratings for the page?
      Any direction is greatly appreciated!  
    • By gonzz
      I'm doing an artist site and they want to be able to upload a large .tiff to their portfolio. I need to keep to a copy of the original file in the server for the art distributers, and of course serve jpg in the web front end.
      I had the idea of extending the file or image upload input so that if the image is tiff, keep it, and also convert it to jpg, so I could access through something like $image->originalUrl or $image->size(100, 100)->url 
      I was wondering if you thought this a good idea, or if i'm over-engineering something that could be done simply. Also, I've never extended an input, so any examples are welcome.
      Thanks!
    • By chcs
      In the page reference field, one can create new pages if they enable that option. However, the "new" page only gets the title field filled out.
      Q: Is there a way to expand on this so a user can fill in more fields from the new page? Either in-line or via modal?

• By chcs
      I have a page with a good amount of fields on it, I have many other pages in the same template that have no issue, but one particular page just doesn't save changes to any of the fields. 
      I installed the clone page module, cloned the page, and everything cloned fine... but still when i try to make changes to the clone nothing saves either (just like the original page). 
      I expect some kind of notification to show up saying it saved, or not, but i get nothing as if the page reloaded fresh. The failure is silent, and there's nothing in the logs to direct me.
      This is a real head scratcher and I'm not sure how I should go about troubleshooting it further. Can someone help?
      Thank you kindly.