gerritvanaaken

Global access to all comments

Hi there!

I need to gather a list of all comments, regardless of the parent page of each comment. Is there a global $comments object, which can do this? Something like:

foreach($comments->find('sort=-created') as $comment) {
// show comment
}

I did not find anything similar in the forums. Can someone help me?

I came up with a pretty "close-to-the-metal" solution. Not perfect, but seems to work:

$comments = $database->query('SELECT * FROM field_comments ORDER BY created DESC');
foreach($comments as $c) {
  // $c is an array with raw database values of those comments
}

Not tested, but you could search by template(s) and doing something like:

<?php

$replies = $pages->find("template=your_template");
	foreach ($repliess as $reply ) {
		foreach ($reply->comments as $message) {
			# code...
		}
	}

?>

@louisstephens Thank you for your thoughts!

Sure, I could use these "nested" queries to gather a "global comments array", which I would to sort by "created" afterwards. But these are too many steps and seems not very performance efficient.

this should work :

$field = $fields->get('comments'); 
$comments = $field->type->find($field, "sort=-created");

• Like 6

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By ridgedale
      Please could someone explain how to mark a topic as solved. This does not appear to be covered by the guidelines.
    • By Rudy
      Hi all, Happy New Year!
      Is there a setting to control the amount of Kb of comment text? One of my clients tried to reply to a comment posted and his reply got cut off. I checked it and it's only 2,351 characters. I noticed that maxComment is set to 80K in the module so this did not exceed the max yet.
      Thx
      Rudy
    • By Batyr
      Hi, I wanted to use Comments module in my project and stumbled upon a problem. Whenever I submit comment with a star rating, it redirects me to unknown page as 
      #CommentForm and my websites preloader is keep turning but nothing is actually happening. Can you please give me a hand on this. What should I do in order to fix this. On my template I added comments field, but submitted comments are not shown. Is there anyway to make comments work on my page?
      Than you in advance

• By paulb
      Hello,
      I recently started making a blog using Processwire and since i'm completely new, I struggle with a few things.
      I'm trying to make a comment section in my blog post, so I followed the tutorial and pasted the two code lines in my template.
      18 echo $page->comments->render(); 19 echo $page->comments->renderForm();  
      but now I have this error on my page :
      Error: Call to a member function render() on null (line 18 of C:\wamp64\www\processwire\site\assets\cache\FileCompiler\site\templates\Post.php)  
      Am I missing something?
      Thanks for your help.
    • By vadimmil
      Hi!
      I'm testing a news site, build on Processwire. We use standard comments system, provided by PW. I found out, that user can easily crash the whole makeup just with a veeery looong wooord comment. 

What is the best approach (except pre-moderation of comments) to deal with this problem?