Ajax save / Google docs save

alan

This is a big ask probably, but when writing a large chunk of copy, particularly in full screen mode (assuming you're using TinyMCE or equiv facility) every so often I click save and have the inevitable page reload or if in full screen I drop out and save then go back.

If PW were able to save in background when I click Save (so no page refresh) or auto save as per Google docs then that would be a major step for content editors.

I am guessing this is mighty complex and so I'm not holding my breath and also this is not a 'big' issue, just one that I know would be a real step up for heavy editors.

When a page is saved, there are various things that can happen that can modify what gets submitted. For instance, hooks can modify stuff. So it's important that a fresh copy gets loaded after a save. Maybe not as convenient, but ultimately opens up more flexibility.

Totally understand and it's a huge ask to have the fiendish background-save-as-you-type sort of facility that Google docs has given all else PW is—can't (and shouldn't try to) be all things to all people.

You do this in between saving in fear of losing your work?

There are browser extensions for that, such as https://addons.mozil...-form-recovery/

I'm not sure i would want PW to have this kind of facilities in the core. For example WordPress has auto save and page revisions but i generally dislike how they work. Revisions or page versioning can be useful but imo only on a small percentage of sites.

• Like 1

@geniestreiche thanks for the link, that looks interesting and as if it might be an easy add-on to PW, albeit would mean edits to /wire (I assume) which I would not do, but if it IS easy to add this plugin and suddenly gain that additional functionality then maybe @Ryan/devs could be interested?

@Nico I wish I were clever enough to write one :) Can a module add functionality such as the jQ plugin @geniestreiche mentioned? If so I'd like to look at that one day if I can ever get into module writing.

@SiNNuT Yes it's for fear of losing work. Thanks I wasn't aware there were browser extensions. And I agree that swelling the PW core is something that is likely not a good idea for anyone. Though I wasn't thinking of revisioning (which I assume is significantyl more complex) just something that, say, when full screen (and so no visible Save button) if my browser crashes I won't loose all, only some, of what I typed since my last save.

@Ryan/devs could the Save button be made visible when in full screen TinyMCE mode perhaps?

When you are in TinyMCE full screen mode, you are fully in TinyMCE and no part of ProcessWire is visible at that point. I'm guessing that there's a good chance it would be possible to add a save button to that full screen mode somehow using the TinyMCE API, but don't currently know how.

When you are in TinyMCE full screen mode, you are fully in TinyMCE and no part of ProcessWire is visible at that point. I'm guessing that there's a good chance it would be possible to add a save button to that full screen mode somehow using the TinyMCE API, but don't currently know how.

Understood and thanks for explaining.

• 2 weeks later...