ProcessFileManager

matjazp

A module for managing files and folders. Supports creating, opening (e.g. viewing, playing, editing), renaming, moving, copying, deleting and searching for files. You can also view and change (not supported on Windows) file and directory permissions. 

https://github.com/matjazpotocnik/ProcessFileManager

Screenshot 2018-01-06 20.06.44_cr.jpg

The author of FileManager component is (c) 2006 - 2018 Gerd Tentler, http://www.gerd-tentler.de/tools/filemanager/. I modified it to work with ProcessWire as a module. Please see license files on usage in commercial projects!

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Awesome!

Just a few remarks after trying it out for 5-10 minutes...

My main concern with such a powerful tool is security: I see you created a special permission for this module. I guess that your intention was that only superusers are able to use this module. If I allowed regular editors use this module, it'll only be a question of time till someone breaks stuff (editing core files, PHP etc.). I just want to make sure there's no nasty backdoor (like with WP's code editor, that is still installed and enabled by default, and is still a massive security hole)...

• Like 1

This module is awesome! Exactly what I was thinking about these holidays. I was about to try to integrate codiad into PW, but it is probably not needed anymore.

The editor is obviously codemirror (have you considered monaco, by the way). Is this one a filemanager used?

A few questions:

1. Does it seem possible to limit edit capabilities for roles by directory/filetype in the future?
  2. Does it seem possible to run terminal commands through the interface for on-site asset building and such?
  3. Are there any known platform limitations?

8 hours ago, dragan said:

My main concern with such a powerful tool is security: I see you created a special permission for this module. I guess that your intention was that only superusers are able to use this module.

Yes.

If I allowed regular editors use this module

If you allow other users to use this module than it's not free anymore, see license file for filemanager.

I just want to make sure there's no nasty backdoor

Unfortunately, I can't guarantee that. This is first alpha release of the module, just to see if there is any interest in this at all. I didn't write the components, I just made filemanager works in PW (and it was a LOT of work too). 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Ivan Gretsky said:

I was about to try to integrate codiad into PW,

Hmm. never saw this, will take a look.

EDIT: I like the way codiad works, that's how filemanager should work. It has more modern approach, it's fast, uses ace, it's more developer-centric.

(have you considered monaco, by the way).

I did, tried it somewhere else (ProcessFileEdit perhaps?), but failed. 

Is this one a filemanager used?

Yes. I modified my original post to reflect that, I just forget it yesterday.

Does it seem possible to limit edit capabilities for roles by directory/filetype in the future?
Does it seem possible to run terminal commands through the interface for on-site asset building and such?

Everything is possible, but I'm not sure in what direction will this module move (if at all). filemanager by itself allows hiding files of certain types, but it's disabled. The best way would be to try the original filemanager and all the options available (or you can try in the module itself, check config.inc.php).

Are there any known platform limitations?

On windows, you can't change permissions. Displayed permissions might be inaccurate. I modified filemanager so that at least file permissions should be correct. On file info, you will see the correct owner of the file/folder and acl list.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, matjazp said:

A module for managing files and folders. Supports creating, opening (e.g. viewing, playing, editing), renaming, moving, copying, deleting and searching for files. You can also view and change (not supported on Windows) file and directory permissions. 

https://github.com/matjazpotocnik/ProcessFileManager

Screenshot 2018-01-06 20.06.44_cr.jpg

The author of FileManager component is (c) 2006 - 2018 Gerd Tentler, http://www.gerd-tentler.de/tools/filemanager/. I modified it to work with ProcessWire as a module. Please see license files on usage in commercial projects!

This would be the most useful module for me, because I tend to do my sidejobs at the office after work (I know, it's not proper, commuting issues that's why ) and we have a strong Firewall that blocks FTP and CPanel pages, so this will come real handy, am assuming it has a code-editor in it. thanks a bunch.  

• Like 1

On 7. 1. 2018 at 1:51 PM, Sephiroth said:

am assuming it has a code-editor in it

Yes, CodeMirror and, later maybe monaco (PR's welcome).

Edited by matjazp
monaco is now supported
  • Like 2

On 1/7/2018 at 4:48 PM, matjazp said:

Yes, CodeMirror and, later maybe monaco (PR's welcome).

Am looking at that too, I will fork your project over the weekend and see how I can contribute, am really interested in this, though I have a feeling Monaco feels like overkill, but i will evaluate it and see.

I have a question related to security. 

AFAIK in a lot of shared hosts that are based upon php as apache module, not a cgi version, the php www-user only (should) have write access to files under assets, not modules and templates. 

Is there a way, workaround, for those cases to use the module too?

2 hours ago, horst said:

not modules and templates

But if it doesn't have access to "modules" then you can't use the PW Upgrade module either and I am pretty sure there are a lot of people using that. Sure it may not be the most secure approach, but there will always be some trade-off.

2 hours ago, horst said:

AFAIK in a lot of shared hosts that are based upon php as apache module, not a cgi version, the php www-user only (should) have write access to files under assets, not modules and templates.

That would prevent you from using Upgrade module, but yes, this is how it should be done in secure environments and how I have set all my sites (I'm on windows but the principle is the same). I upgrade (if at all) manually, since I'm the administrator of the server. 

Filemanager has some more options that might come handy: you can hide specific directories (eg. wire), you can hide "system files", hide file path in file details, hide symbolic link target, you can disable upload, download, edit, copy, rename, move, create, search, permissions. Those options are not available in module config settings, since the module is intended for site admins (superusers) primarily and I assume he would want all features enabled... 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sephiroth said:

Am looking at that too, I will fork your project over the weekend and see how I can contribute, am really interested in this, though I have a feeling Monaco feels like overkill, but i will evaluate it and see.

Yeah, monaco has large size, 32 MB, and it's slower on start than CodeMirror or Ace.

18 hours ago, pwired said:

Hi Sephiroth

Did you try net2ftp, monsta ftp and cpanel proxy urls at the office ?

Net2FTP logs me out everytime, I feel it must be network related haven't tried monsta FTP but i like the having to just edit the file from the same application however it should only edit the modules and templates and not core code. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, matjazp said:

Maybe ProcessFileEdit module would be enough for you?

ProcessFileEdit is fantastic and I think ProcessFileManager has a useful role as well when you need to create/delete/move files around and don't have your dev machine with you.

Also, here's a sneak peak for the new File Editor Panel in Tracy (coming soon!).

This comes with: Test (changes don't affect other users) and Restore functionality (in case you save and made a major mistake) for all file types and even continues to work if you accidentally introduced a fatal error into the code you just saved - this allows you to recover without needing FTP access. Of course this doesn't replace the functionality of ProcessFileManager at all, but another tool in the arsenal.

image.png.f5fcf97ba388aa3e051d46bfc5408c24.png

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
21 hours ago, tcnet said:

Please, can somebody tell me the reason why this useful module is not available in the module directory?

The module was never published in the module directory :-) 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tcnet said:

Do you consider to maintain this module?

Yes and no. A large part of this module is not written by me, so I can't support any new features, I can only make it work as a Processwire module. That's why I didn't publish it in the module directory. It's also a powerful tool with the potential of wiping your site if it lands in the wrong hands, so I didn't want too much publicity. I don't work with PW so much anymore, and I'm becoming a bit rusty and can't afford to maintain too many modules. Nevertheless, I will do what I can to help if problems arise.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, matjazp said:

I don't work with PW so much anymore

Is Processwire losing traction?? ... lately I have read many comments in this forum from several of the most prominent people in the discussions who are no longer working with Processwire .. ???