PW 3.0.88 – Core updates

ryan

I mentioned last week that we'd look at the roadmap this week. I'm actually still working on that, so will post the 2018 roadmap next week instead. But I do have a version update this week which adds some useful tools to our images field in the admin (InputfieldImage), and I think this is one that both you and your clients will find really handy.

https://processwire.com/blog/posts/pw-3.0.88/

• Like 11

I'm not seeing that here. Anyone else? If you view the source of the page, it should be encoded i.e. B&W. But it sounds like in your case it's getting double encoded for some reason. Can you confirm that if you view source, it looks something like B&W ?

I'm not seeing it here, but since you are, I'm guessing it's probably language translation related. I just updated it to use entities1() rather than entities(), which accommodates cases where we don't know for sure if it's already entity encoded or not. This action is what you choose if you want to convert to Black & White, aka greyscale. 

• Like 2

Love the image actions feature, thanks!

Especially looking forward to this one...

Cut, copy and paste (for movement of images between pages and/or image fields)

...as I had a need for this recently.

I don't intend to give users access to the "special effect" options (B&W and sepia) for the same reason I wouldn't give users the ability to change fonts or text colours - there's always some editor who considers themselves an "artist" and will take a carefully designed site and turn it into a dogs breakfast. In case anyone else feels the same, it's simple to remove these with a hook in /site/ready.php:

$wire->addHookAfter('InputfieldImage::getFileActions', function(HookEvent $event) {
    $actions = $event->return;
    unset($actions['bw']);
    unset($actions['sep']);
    $event->return = $actions;
});

• Like 7

@ryan, in the blog post you give an example of the need for the image actions feature:

One being that it's just too slow of a process if you need to apply the same exact action to a bunch of images.

What do you think about adding an interface that allows multiple images to be selected and then an action applied to those selected images?

There was a question in the forums a while back about how tags could be applied to multiple images:

I bookmarked this in my "to do" list because it's something that would be useful to implement. If there was an interface for selecting multiple images then maybe the new image actions feature could be a solution to this.

Also, do you think it would be possible to create actions that, in a first step, open a dialog where options could be selected? So for example, if the action was "Move image to field" there could be a dropdown to select image fields on the page? This would be better than needing to have separate actions for each option.

Maybe you could give a tutorial on creating image actions in a future blog post?

• Like 2

In addition to @Robin S's suggestion above, if ProcessWire 3.0.87's new features were extended as brainstormed in the post:

"...adding the ability for you to specify a different page where images should upload to. Once that's supported, it won't be necessary to have an images field on your page."

also adding the possibility for an Images inputfield to upload to and/or pick images from another one (+ this supercharged Images inputfield being filterable) then we would finally have a very impressive set of image management features built in which have been sought after for years.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have "two" ProcessWire 3.0.88 "versions". One form January the 5th and the other one dowloaded today a few minutes ago.

There are a couple of differences in the source code:

Spoiler

ProcessWire 3.0.88 diffs
Produced: 2018. 01. 22.

File: wire/modules/Inputfield/InputfieldAsmSelect/asmselect/jquery.asmselect.js
667 same line(s)
1 unimportant difference line(s)
4 important right orphan line(s)
2 important difference line(s)

2 difference section(s)

File: wire/modules/Inputfield/InputfieldAsmSelect/asmselect/jquery.asmselect.min.js
2 same line(s)
1 important difference line(s)

1 difference section(s)

File: wire/modules/Inputfield/InputfieldSelector/InputfieldSelector.module
2001 same line(s)
2 important right orphan line(s)

1 difference section(s)

File: wire/modules/Jquery/JqueryUI/modal.js
500 same line(s)
1 important right orphan line(s)
1 important difference line(s)

1 difference section(s)

File: wire/modules/Jquery/JqueryUI/modal.min.js

1 difference section(s)

File: wire/modules/Page/PageFrontEdit/PageFrontEdit.module
1136 same line(s)
7 unimportant right orphan line(s)
2 important left orphan line(s)
36 important right orphan line(s)

6 difference section(s)

File: wire/modules/Process/ProcessTemplate/ProcessTemplate.module
2996 same line(s)
3 important difference line(s)

3 difference section(s)

Is it a common practice to introduce changes without changing the version number? I have not yet noticed such a thing before, but I must admit that this is the first time I checked... I noticed a difference in the ZIP's file size, so I compared the two.

3 minutes ago, BitPoet said:

On the dev tree it is. Ryan usually incorporates fixes there as soon as he has them ready without bumping the version number up. You can spot that when you look at the commit history.

Thank you! I have not yet realized it. Good to know :)

I tried to find something in the forum and using google but I got stuck somewhere between 

imageSizerOptions

and https://github.com/processwire/processwire/blob/master/wire/modules/ImageSizerEngineIMagick.module > and???

How exactly can I use actions from the API side?

I'd like to convert Images to greyscale…

Thanks for your help :)