Installing Processwire on Synology NAS

Peter Knight

If you're  trying to install ProcessWire on a Synology NAS using the WebStation service, please refer to notes below. 

I've created this mainly for web searches.

I'm going to assume that you're at the installation screen and the first issue you'll have is trying to connect to a database. There's 2 things here you need to note

1. MariaDB is running on Port 3307. You're probably used to running on port 3306 and this might even be what the installation screen pre-populates
  2. The Host field must be set to localhost:3307 and not just localhost

ProcessWire_3_x_Installer.thumb.jpg.22dad2252291b0d1fa74e6a5d275f858.jpg

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Peter Knight said:

I'm going to assume that you're at the installation screen and the first issue you'll have is trying to connect to a database. There's 2 things here you need to note

1. MariaDB is running on Port 3307. You're probably used to running on port 3306 and this might even be what the installation screen pre-populates
  2. The Host field must be set to localhost:3307 and not just localhost

The strange thing is that a few months ago I also installed ProcessWire on DSM and the site works. I do not need it because it was just a test, so I left it there sitting. The interesting bit is my config.php with this in it:

$config->dbHost = '192.168.0.10';
$config->dbName = 'example_db';
$config->dbUser = 'root';
$config->dbPass = 'example_pass';
$config->dbPort = '3306';

Maria DB config panel reads: Port 3307

If I change the config to 3306, it cannot connect... I have no incentive to figure out what is going on because my Synology is slow so I use my online account instead. I just wanted to point out what fun it can be to deal with DSM :P (I have other, non related issues with it, so I often get upset when using Synology...)

2 hours ago, szabesz said:

I just wanted to point out what fun it can be to deal with DSM :P 

Hey @szabesz

That's interesting. I wonder if it's working for you in that manner because you're using the root dbuser and the IP etc. Who knows !

I too don't *really* need to try run PW on Synology. I have a few "proper" servers so it's more for my own fun and curiosity but that info is helpful. Good to know it works too as I ran into issues with my htaccess file and general permissions.

Otherwise I love the Synology NAS. It's probably the best thing I've ever purchased for my office. Backups, streaming, file sharing etc etc. It's all there. Running a PW site from it would be the cherry on the cake.

• Like 1