Best Way To Convert Wordpress Themes PW Themes?

pwuser1

Depending on the theme, it can a lot more work trying to remove all the wp junk from a theme than it would be to create a similar theme from scratch using whatever front-end style you want, such as bootstrap, etc. Personally, I have not found a wp theme worth that time. There are many good theme (templates) where you could put your time to better use. See this thread for some great options.

• Like 1

Would be much easier to use html themes them wp ones. You can't avoid copy/paste html chunks, and there is many little things to handle like active classes on menus etc... very simple to do with pw, but requires some work and time. Processwire not adding any code to the front-end, so u have to build it ur self, thats one of the reasons pw is so great. It doesn't have any template system like drumlapress.

• Like 4

Most themes come in the plain HTML version, so not much use these days to convert a WP theme..

But, if you absolutely must use a wordpress theme, the easiest way is to copy the HTML that WP outputs and analyze/use that; looking at the source WP theme code is typically close to useless;

• Like 4

2 hours ago, rick said:

Depending on the theme, it can a lot more work trying to remove all the wp junk from a theme than it would be to create a similar theme from scratch using whatever front-end style you want, such as bootstrap, etc. Personally, I have not found a wp theme worth that time. There are many good theme (templates) where you could put your time to better use. See this thread for some great options.

Yes I agree @rick, @Macrura, @lokomotivan WP Themes are a mess it's just I already have a bunch of them.  PW theme development is much better.

18 hours ago, blynx said:

Hm, if you view a WordPress frontend with populated data and copy/paste the source you have more or less an HTML theme?
Apart from there will still be manual work.

This is what I do. I find it easier to view the source (inspector) and rebuild from there, rather than work with the raw files from WP.

• Like 2

I've made a few migrations, not from WP, but the same method applies.

First I copied the assets. Layout images, CSS, fonts, etc.

Then I went to the site's homepage, copied the source, pasted on home.php and started cleaning up. With the code clean, I move the header and footer into separate includable files. You'll have to replace the menu links with a loop to grab those from the admin, change the path to the assets and so on.

Then do the same for the next page. Copy from the source's frontend, paste on the template file, replace header and footer for the includes we've prepared when doing the homepage, and proceed cleaning up and replacing the hard-coded content with calls to the page's fields.

It takes some time, but it's straightforward.

As @lokomotivan pointed out, best is to start from an HTML template. Processwire is geared towards custom-made solutions, where as Wordpress, specially when using templates, is more about allowing the admin to customise the layout from within the CMS. There is no way of directly or automatically replicating the same features of a WP template in PW. But if you take an HTML template, trim it to your needs, then setup PW to have just the fields you need for what you're building, you'll get a much cleaner and easier to use CMS. You can do it in one or two days after you get the hang of it, depending of the site of course.

• Like 3

On 31/12/2017 at 8:07 PM, blynx said:

Hm, if you view a WordPress frontend with populated data and copy/paste the source you have more or less an HTML theme?
Apart from that, there will still be manual work.

Yeah alot of manual work, sometimes it's hard because you need to know which file isn't wordpress specific as it's massive and populated.