Why not PW When It's That Good?

pwuser1

First I am a PW student I think it's the best PHP Framework.  So please don't get me wrong when I asked when other Frameworks like the big 3 (Wordpress, Joomla, Drupal) are too complicated to use or maintain (I tried them all) why are people still using them? PW is just too elegant in comparison even for a newbie like me.

• Like 1

If you want to learn PHP framework, you can see the list here, PHP Framework list .

You can develop any web application type using PHP framework. However, you have to develop your user interface from scratch, even for the Administration part. 

Wordpress or Joomla, is a CMS application. Drupal started as CMS, but at some point, they changed the direction not just as CMS.

PW is unique though. It is not purely PHP framework nor CMS apps.

PW gives you the flexibility to some extent to develop non-CMS apps. In PW you get the Admin page as a starting point. From there it is up to you wants to build Website or another type web apps. But you can't change the existing Admin page model. 

• Like 2

On 12/31/2017 at 3:22 PM, pwuser1 said:

why are people still using them?

Because there are lots and lots and lots of ready-made plugins/modules/forntend-themes they can install without writing a single line of code. Maintaining such a site is another story, of course... Oh, and they came first, not ProcessWire ;)

• Like 2

On 31/12/2017 at 2:22 PM, pwuser1 said:

First I am a PW student I think it's the best PHP Framework.  So please don't get me wrong when I asked when other Frameworks like the big 3 (Wordpress, Joomla, Drupal) are too complicated to use or maintain (I tried them all) why are people still using them? PW is just too elegant in comparison even for a newbie like me.

Tons of reasons really.

It comes down to what you're used to. A lot of the big 3 Devs I know are older, experienced PHP types. They started using Wp,J and D when the CMS market was a lot lot smaller. There was less choice and they used what was available. Over time newer CMSs have surfaced but transitioning to these represents challenges in re-learning, re-training etc. Even is a new CMS looks more elegant and a better fit, there's still a risk factor. Better the devil you know... as the saying goes.

Even the ones who do make the change bring a lot of technical baggage and expectations. That's why you'll see a lot of posts starting with "Does PW have an eCommerce/SEO/ user/membership" plugin etc. They're looking for a familiar path to a new destination. In most of these cases, there are modules available but perhaps not the range of plugins etc they're used to. Looks scary..back yo WP, J, Drupal.

There's also a lot of visibility for WP,D and J in the industry. Especially on the client side of things, a marketing manager writing a brief is more likely to request the big 3 because that's what they've heard of. If that's where the demand is and you don't feel you can argue a different platform, that's what developers will stick with or flock to.

Lots more reasons. Don't forget the resources that these 3 CMS have behind them too. They have bigger marketing budgets, more developers, bigger social media presence too.

• Like 4

On 12/31/2017 at 9:22 AM, pwuser1 said:

I am very glad that you have joined our ProcessWire community, however I'm wondering when are you going to author a post about your use of ProcessWire?  You ask very good questions about PHP, other frameworks and other CMS platforms in comparison to ProcessWIre.  Our community members have been extremely gracious in answering these questions.  Don't get me wrong, these questions have merit, and as Off-topic conversations fit within what the forum is about.

What I haven't seen is where you are asking for help building a ProcessWire site or having a problem with a ProcessWire module, inputfield, backup or anything website building related.  That's just an observation that I have made over time in reviewing all of your postings so far.

I look forward to your additional Off-Topic postings and please don't take this as a criticism.  I enjoy the wealth of interaction on the ProcessWire forum regardless of the subject and have looked forward to reading everyone's comments for the last few years.

Respectfully,

Charles

• Like 8

13 hours ago, cstevensjr said:

I am very glad that you have joined our ProcessWire community, however I'm wondering when are you going to author a post about your use of ProcessWire?  You ask very good questions about PHP, other frameworks and other CMS platforms in comparison to ProcessWIre.  Our community members have been extremely gracious in answering these questions.  Don't get me wrong, these questions have merit, and as Off-topic conversations fit within what the forum is about.

What I haven't seen is where you are asking for help building a ProcessWire site or having a problem with a ProcessWire module, inputfield, backup or anything website building related.  That's just an observation that I have made over time in reviewing all of your postings so far.

I look forward to your additional Off-Topic postings and please don't take this as a criticism.  I enjoy the wealth of interaction on the ProcessWire forum regardless of the subject and have looked forward to reading everyone's comments for the last few years.

Respectfully,

Charles

@cstevensjr Thanks for the input.

• Like 1