Sign in to follow this  
eutervogel

$session gets lost

Hi,

On my website the user is able to choose between to styles of a gallery. A gridview and a stripe view.

I want to store the choice during the whole session. 

So if the user chooses a style I do it like so:

$query = $_GET['view'];
    if($query){
        $session->set('view', $query);
    }

So that's working pretty fine, but after a random number of menuclicks or reloads its gone. Sometimes it is stored for 10 -15 pageloads and sometimes it's gone after 2 loads,

Lifetime is set to 3600 in php.ini

session.gc_maxlifetime = 3600

This is how I look if it exists:   

if($session->view == 'grid'){
        include('album-grid-title.php');
    }
    elseif($session->view == 'stripes'){
        include('album-stripes.php');
    }
    else{
        include('album-stripes.php');       
    }

Can anyone point me in the right direction and tell me what I'm doing wrong or why $session gets lost?

Thanks in advance

Welcome to the forums @eutervogel.

I have no idea why the sessions are disappearing. Sessions should also work for guest (aka not logged in users). Just want to suggest an alternative; cookies? Also, is it necessary to conditionally load the grid versus stripe views? Sometimes I find it easier to just load both views and using CSS and JS hide/show the views as per user request.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By derelektrischemoench
      Hi guys,
      I'm facing a somewhat strange issue here which I can't quite wrap my head around. 
      I have a PW site in development which runs on three machines simultaneously, one staging server which is accessible as a preview instance for my customer, my PC and my laptop. 
      I have three completely identical settings on each of the three machines (same apache version, same php version, same codebase, same database); however on my PC I am unable to log into the backend. I get no error message or anything, when I try to login; i just get redirected to the login  page. I have already enabled database driven sessions (I enabled them on my laptop, then I dumped the database and copied it to my pc); I have cleared the cache directory; I cleared the sessions in the database; I cleared my browser caches, I tried different browsers, all to no avail; I am unable to login when using my pc, the instances all have the same .htaccess.
      Is there something I'm missing here or does anyone have a clue as to what my issue here might be? I'm using processwire 3.0.123
      Thanks for any input, greetings
      derelektrischemoench

//edit: I've noticed something interesting; despite the directories of my web folders being the same layout; when I open the admin page i get a 404 on the processwire/ resource in the networks panel of chrome; on my laptop I get a  200.... I guess this is where my problem is; but why?

• By derelektrischemoench
      Hi guys,
      I'm facing a somewhat strange issue here which I can't quite wrap my head around. 
      I have a PW site in development which runs on three machines simultaneously, one staging server which is accessible as a preview instance for my customer, my PC and my laptop. 
      I have three completely identical settings on each of the three machines (same apache version, same php version, same codebase, same database); however on my PC I am unable to log into the backend. I get no error message or anything, when I try to login; i just get redirected to the login  page. I have already enabled database driven sessions (I enabled them on my laptop, then I dumped the database and copied it to my pc); I have cleared the cache directory; I cleared the sessions in the database; I cleared my browser caches, I tried different browsers, all to no avail; I am unable to login when using my pc, the instances all have the same .htaccess.
      Is there something I'm missing here or does anyone have a clue as to what my issue here might be? I'm using processwire 3.0.123
      Thanks for any input, greetings
      derelektrischemoench

• By Peter Knight
      How do you guys handle large session tables when sessions are being recorded to the database?
      I notice one of my sites has a session table of over 14MB 
      Am I missing a way in the Admin or a module to auto-remove any sessions older than X days?
      Thanks

• By helmut2509
      In my PW-Application there is currently no session timeout.
      I want to set the user session to 60 minutes which means that after 60 minutes of inactivity the user will be redirected to the homepage.
      so I added the following entry to my config.php:
      $config->sessionExpireSeconds = 120; (120 seconds is just for testing).
      But after five minutes of inactivity I am still logged in, there is no redirection.
      Is there anything wrong or did I miss something?
      In php.ini I have the entry:
      session.cookie_lifetime = 3600
    • By celfred
      Hello,
      I'm facing a weird issue here. I have a page loaded with this code inside (my comments in line ends) :

if ($session->allPlayers) { // Set in a head.inc file. I have also a $session->set('allTeams', $allTeams); in my head.inc   $allPlayers = $session->allPlayers; } else {   $allPlayers = getAllPlayers($user, false);   $session->set('allPlayers', $allPlayers); } bd($session->getAll()); // HERE, I get a number of 11 variables which is what I expect In the same page, I have a link pointing to ajaxContent.php that loads stuff via Ajax.
      I just write this in my ajaxContent.php to test :

bd($session->getAll()); // HERE, I get only 9 variables. All my newly set $session variables ($allTeams and $allPlayers) are not conveyed to ajaxContent.php ??? Would you have any idea why is that ??? Another thing : I have a $session->headMenu set in my head.inc, and this one works fine. I can retrieve it in my ajaxContent.php page.
      I've tried cleaning all caches but it doesn't change anything 😞 
      At first, I expected it to be a 15-minute update to my site... It turns out to be a 2-hour issue and I'm still  stuck.
      Thanks for your ideas !