Mastering PHP and Javascript

pwuser1

Welcome here, @pwuser1!

You made  the best 1st step you could - found this amazing community and one of the best php products out there (with super cool inline docs) . Start a project, solve problems as they come, read the code. This is the way PW changed me from knowing almost nothing to knowing some of it. I am sure you will become much more advanced following the same route though. Good luck!

I am sure you could find tons of advice on the Internet, so not giving any generic one. But just for the count here are some links to relevant forum topics:

PHP

js

...but really tons of it here and elsewhere)

By the way, if you want to find something on this forum (like the fact that this question was raised so many times), use special google search like this one I made for myself. Good luck!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Ivan Gretsky said:

By the way, if you want to find something on this forum (like the fact that this question was raised so many times), use special google search like this one I made for myself. Good luck!

+1 for the search, Ivan.

@pwuser1, the best way is to just get your hands dirty and build some websites that require php/js or both. That's what I did with almost no knowledge of either.  Sure you'll get stuck a few times along the way, but that's what the community forum / Stackoverflow / Google/ Ivan's awesome search  is for ...

• Like 3

@FrancisChung, when I came here someone introduced me to this google search trick. It was some discussion it has to be the default one for the forum search box. But it did not happen (due to some integration problems only @Pete knows about). So all the old-timers use it, as far as I know. Personally I almost never use the in-built search (only when I need to limit the search by thread, but that's rare). Let this topic be a reminder of such a useful tool to learn more from PW forums!

• Like 5

4 hours ago, pwuser1 said:

@desbest I would like to create apps and wesbites using PHP and JavaScript, hopefully I don't get mixed up learning both at the same time.

That's vague. I specifically asked you what you want to make with php and javascript. Every year the possibilities of what you can do in php and javascript increases, so no one person can know everything or how to do everything. It's best to have a skillset of what you want to do rather than learn things you don't need to learn.

Below are things you can make with javascript 

• Scraper
  • Bookmarklet
  • PDF Viewer
  • Games
  • Chat room
  • Video and audio chat
  • Audio and video player
  • Video game emulator

Below are things you can make with php

• MVC framework
  • Templating engine