Why does front-end forms development not seem to be reasonably addressed at the core of PW?

LAPS

I have been using PW for a few days and I can say that it is a powerful tool for creating web sites, web applications, services, etc.

However, doing research on the web, it seems to me that PW has a gap especially with regard to front-end forms development. I refer to the possibility of quickly and easily implementing forms to be used in the front-end to allow users to create new pages. In particular, I would like to allow registered/authenticated users to submit forms on the front-end as I (superuser) can make in the back-end of PW, comprising the bundle of input fields features such as for Multiplier, Repeater and Page.

Although I tried to address this gap buying the FormBuilder module and later ProFields, the implementation of front-end forms seems to be still a "hard job" because, if I understand correctly, and since I cannot use almost all of the ProFields fields with FormBuilder, I have to write API-based code to get some sort of "legacy solution" e.g. see Front-end tips, tools and general development. From a developer's point of view, front-end forms development and implementation in PW should instead be as easy and linear as using the FormBuilder module, designed specifically to work for the PW front-end.

Said that, and with respect to everything of powerful that has already been done, my question is: why does front-end forms development not seem to be reasonably addressed at the core of PW?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LAPS said:

However, doing research on the web, it seems to me that PW has a gap especially with regard to front-end forms development.

Well, you could say that PW has a gap when it comes to front-end anything. I don't know if there's a good authoritative document explaining this anywhere, but I think it's fair to say that part of the PW philosophy is that the core does not get involved with the front-end of your site. Depending on how experienced you are with front-end development this is either something that makes your job easier or more difficult.

So you have all the freedom (likewise, responsibility) to do whatever you want with your front-end and PW will never mess it all up for you (likewise, help build your front-end for you).

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Robin S said:

I don't know if there's a good authoritative document explaining this anywhere,

Sort of tucked in here...

http://processwire.com/about/what/

Ideal for designers/developers and their clients

Your design and development process won't be interrupted by ProcessWire – it's built to adapt to your way of doing things, not the other way around. ProcessWire gives you the tools to get at your data, but you make the markup. You never have to design a site for ProcessWire, and the system won't impose any limitations upon your site's design or the designer. ProcessWire is a system that you can feel good about handing the keys over to the client because it's easy for them to use and easy to support.

..."tools to get at your data, but you make the markup"

• Like 2

hi laps,

I understand your concerns. Though, as the others already said, the frontend is totally up to you (by design). I agree that this makes forms a little more work than we are used to from all the other pw magic. I used NetteForms for a website with lots of forms since it brings you client&server side validation in one run! I don't know any other tool that does this and I was always looking for something like this.

@tpr built a module for netteforms, but i can't find a link right now?

16 hours ago, LAPS said:

Although I tried to address this gap buying the FormBuilder module and later ProFields, the implementation of front-end forms seems to be still a "hard job"

What was "hard" exactly? How would you suggest an easier workflow? Do you have any examples of how other systems solve that topic better?

6 hours ago, bernhard said:

What was "hard" exactly?

23 hours ago, LAPS said:

[...] "hard job" because [...] I have to write API-based code to get some sort of "legacy solution" e.g. see Front-end tips, tools and general development

6 hours ago, bernhard said:

How would you suggest an easier workflow?

An easier workflow may be possible through the development of a specific PW “Pro-module” or better integration of existing PW modules (e.g. Profields-FormBuilder fields compatibility) to supporting the front-end development, maybe making PW to be used also as a sort of markup generator. I am discussing this here.