Hi Guys,

Just finished a website locally and wanted to upload it on the webserver of my customer. I got a server 500 error. Now, the guidelines of the hoster (world4you.com) does not allow "Options" in the htaccess-file. So, when I uncomment these:

Options -Indexes
Options +FollowSymLinks

the site is visible, but the content won't show and no links are available. Not sure if I need the Symlinks-part but I guess I need a workaround for the Index-part. Can anybody help here? I need the website up and running asap....

Thanks!

Roli

I think you'd be safe to comment all that section out.

# -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
# 1. Don't show directory indexes, but do follow symbolic links 
# 500 NOTE: Some cloud hosting companies don't allow +FollowSymLinks. 
# Uncomment +SymLinksifOwnerMatch and comment +FollowSymLinks if you have 500 errors. 
# If that doesn't resolve the error, then set it back to +FollowSymLinks. 
# -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

# Options -Indexes
# Options +FollowSymLinks
# Options +SymLinksifOwnerMatch

Worst that can happen? Still doesn't work.

31 minutes ago, DaveP said:

I think you'd be safe to comment all that section out.

# 1. Don't show directory indexes, but do follow symbolic links 
# 500 NOTE: Some cloud hosting companies don't allow +FollowSymLinks. 
# Uncomment +SymLinksifOwnerMatch and comment +FollowSymLinks if you have 500 errors. 
# If that doesn't resolve the error, then set it back to +FollowSymLinks. 

# Options -Indexes

Worst that can happen? Still doesn't work.

it doesn‘t work. i think i need an alternative code for ‚options -indexes‘ but without the ‚options‘...

• Sad 1

Hi @rolisx

On one of my shared hosting it works like that, have you tried this option?

Options -Indexes

21 minutes ago, Zeka said:

Hi @rolisx

On one of my shared hosting it works like that, have you tried this option?

Options -Indexes

Hi Zeka, i did. The hosting doesn‘t allow the word ‚Options‘ in the htaccess file... 

What a stupid host... Well, in that case just remove those lines instead of commenting them out (perhaps make a backup copy for yourself first, in case you decide to switch to another hosting company sometime...)

• Like 2

Do you know if the client is using the DomainServer Basic package. The FAQ pages say that htaccess files aren't even allowed for sites hosted on that service.

You can use .htaccess files in conjunction with error pages, directory protection and mod_rewrite.
.htaccess files cannot be used with the Domainserver Basic package.

It might be worth emailing the support folks at the host and asking the question direct to them.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, netcarver said:

Do you know if the client is using the DomainServer Basic package. The FAQ pages say that htaccess files aren't even allowed for sites hosted on that service.

It might be worth emailing the support folks at the host and asking the question direct to them.

@netcarver yea, I saw that, but it's not that package. I had contact with their support and they just said "it's not allowed to use options".....

• Sad 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Spiria
      I am writing here instead of the ProCache forum because I have the impression that several nginx experts could solve this. In its new version, Procache proposes new .htaccess rules that are difficult to translate into nginx rules. We currently have a problem with the trailing slash of URLs which gives us a bad score in SEO analysis tools such as semrush.com. 
      Indeed, a canonical URL is either without or with "/", but cannot be served by both options. Although ProcessWire without ProCache respects this rule, ProCache has no difficulty serving both, which is considered an SEO optimisation fault. I believe that ProCache version 2 solves this problem with these new rules, but I can't understand the following. Does anyone have any idea how to translate this into a nginx rule?
      Attached also the whole proposed .htaccess for ProcessWire.
      # PROCACHE v2/31885be14d6cfb4b2b0d3e533260bded -------------------------------------------------- RewriteCond %{REQUEST_METHOD} !=POST RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} !.*=.* RewriteRule ^.*/$ - [E=pwpcstep:pour,E=pwpcname:index] RewriteCond %{ENV:pwpcstep} "=pour" RewriteCond %{HTTP_COOKIE} !^.*(wire_challenge|wires_challenge).*$ RewriteRule ^.*/$ - [E=pwpcstep:stir,E=pwpcpath:%{DOCUMENT_ROOT}/site/assets/ProCache-00478359c5e65dbada1075bfbd4] RewriteCond %{ENV:pwpcstep} "=stir" RewriteCond %{ENV:pwpcpath}/$0/%{ENV:pwpcname}.html -f RewriteRule ^.*$ - [E=pwpcstep:drink,E=pwpcfile:$0/%{ENV:pwpcname}.html] RewriteCond %{ENV:pwpcstep} "=drink" RewriteRule ^(.*) %{ENV:pwpcpath}/%{ENV:pwpcfile} [L] <ifModule mod_headers.c> Header set X-PWPC "ProCache" env=pwpcstep Header set X-Powered-By "ProcessWire CMS, ProCache" env=pwpcstep </ifModule> RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} "^/~?[-_.a-zA-Z0-9/]*$" # /PROCACHE -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------  
      .htaccess-procache
    • By greene000
      There is a site https://carnesmechanical.com/ on the WordPress CMS engine on the server, you need to transfer it to Processwire to another server. About 1000 pages. Write how much you are ready to undertake?
    • By franciccio-ITALIANO
      Hello to all. I would like to create an app. So I need to learn at least one programming language. I got informed online, and discovered that javascript with node.js, is the revolution of recent years, because it's faster than php. I wonder: if I develop an app with javascript and with a javascript framework (e.g. Meteor), is there a way to integrate processwire work? I know that processwire supports the transformation of the site into an application, but would it be as simple as Meteor? With the Meteor framework I have my app online in 10 minutes, and without even knowing javascript! (Knowing javascript would serve to personalize it). I should then install the app in a SUB-DOMAIN. If I study php, instead, and if I use a php framework (e.g. Laravel), how long does it take to have my first working app? Is it easy to process Laravel's components? Is writing forms for processwire apps with php a very complex job? Is it better to use Meteor and start with javascript? What would you recommend?
    • By Peter Knight
      Can anyone tell me which .htaccess directive might be blocking a site import feature from scanning my public_html folder and listing all files and folders.
      These would be both PW files/folders but also some non PW folders which my PW site references for media.
      Latest .htaccess file on Github
      I can see various options from Section 15 onwards (# 15. Access Restrictions (v301)) but nothing that would block both SSH and FTP scans my VPS site import file uses.
      When I point the same site import tool at a non PW site on the same directory it works.
      I could disable htaccess temporarily but it's a busy and active site.
      Thanks
      P

• By daniel_puehringer
      Hi Community,

Sadly I cannot intall ProcessWire on my webserver (Hosted at https://www.world4you.com/de/startseite.html, a small hosting provider in Austria)
      Here is the Problem: 
      1. I downloaded the current masterbranch as a .zip file (After a few tries I also downloaded the code via the git clone command, that led to the same error), unzipped it and transferred it to my server. Since there is already a wordpress site installed on the root directory, I transferred the processwire files into /relaunch and created a subdomain.
      2. I tried to install the language starter kit. As soon as I navigate to that folder Screenshot1 (see attached file 'processWireBug1') is shown. Everything looks nice, except the red text referring to the 'mod_rewrite' rule. The webserver provides the 'apache mod_rewrite' rule.
      3. As soon as I want to press 'Check again' or 'Continue to next step' an error Page with 500 error (see Screenshot 'processWireBug2') occurs.
      4. You can find my .htaccess file attached to this post..htaccess

How could I solve this issue?

Some additional information:
      1) the webserver provides the apache mod_rewrite (I checked that several times) and has php version 7.3. installed.
      2) since there is a wordpress site installed on the root directory, there is also a .htaccess file on the root directory. Could this .htaccess file have an impact on the .htaccess file for my processwire website?

Thanks for your help and greetings from Austria,
      Daniel