Hi Guys,

Just finished a website locally and wanted to upload it on the webserver of my customer. I got a server 500 error. Now, the guidelines of the hoster (world4you.com) does not allow "Options" in the htaccess-file. So, when I uncomment these:

Options -Indexes
Options +FollowSymLinks

the site is visible, but the content won't show and no links are available. Not sure if I need the Symlinks-part but I guess I need a workaround for the Index-part. Can anybody help here? I need the website up and running asap....

Thanks!

Roli

I think you'd be safe to comment all that section out.

# -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
# 1. Don't show directory indexes, but do follow symbolic links 
# 500 NOTE: Some cloud hosting companies don't allow +FollowSymLinks. 
# Uncomment +SymLinksifOwnerMatch and comment +FollowSymLinks if you have 500 errors. 
# If that doesn't resolve the error, then set it back to +FollowSymLinks. 
# -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

# Options -Indexes
# Options +FollowSymLinks
# Options +SymLinksifOwnerMatch

Worst that can happen? Still doesn't work.

31 minutes ago, DaveP said:

I think you'd be safe to comment all that section out.

# 1. Don't show directory indexes, but do follow symbolic links 
# 500 NOTE: Some cloud hosting companies don't allow +FollowSymLinks. 
# Uncomment +SymLinksifOwnerMatch and comment +FollowSymLinks if you have 500 errors. 
# If that doesn't resolve the error, then set it back to +FollowSymLinks. 

# Options -Indexes

Worst that can happen? Still doesn't work.

it doesn‘t work. i think i need an alternative code for ‚options -indexes‘ but without the ‚options‘...

• Sad 1

Hi @rolisx

On one of my shared hosting it works like that, have you tried this option?

Options -Indexes

21 minutes ago, Zeka said:

Hi @rolisx

On one of my shared hosting it works like that, have you tried this option?

Options -Indexes

Hi Zeka, i did. The hosting doesn‘t allow the word ‚Options‘ in the htaccess file... 

What a stupid host... Well, in that case just remove those lines instead of commenting them out (perhaps make a backup copy for yourself first, in case you decide to switch to another hosting company sometime...)

• Like 2

Do you know if the client is using the DomainServer Basic package. The FAQ pages say that htaccess files aren't even allowed for sites hosted on that service.

You can use .htaccess files in conjunction with error pages, directory protection and mod_rewrite.
.htaccess files cannot be used with the Domainserver Basic package.

It might be worth emailing the support folks at the host and asking the question direct to them.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, netcarver said:

Do you know if the client is using the DomainServer Basic package. The FAQ pages say that htaccess files aren't even allowed for sites hosted on that service.

It might be worth emailing the support folks at the host and asking the question direct to them.

@netcarver yea, I saw that, but it's not that package. I had contact with their support and they just said "it's not allowed to use options".....

• Sad 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.