2012 Critic’s Choice CMS Awards

diogo

I think when you want PW to be more famous. Just the right guys should hear about it. L. Jeffrey Zeldman, Chris Coyier, Remy Sharp, Eric A. Meyer or Paul Irish for example. If they tell something nice about PW, usage of PW will expand. (I think)

The problem with competitions you mentioned is I think is that they have to compair things you can't compair. ( appels met peren vergelijken [Dutch] )

So the outcome is never honest.

Will PW participate?

Sure! Mike over at CMSCritic is a good guy and I'd support anything he's doing over there. I'd encourage anyone that wants to vote for ProcessWire in any of those categories to please do so! I know I will. :)

Just the right guys should hear about it. L. Jeffrey Zeldman, Chris Coyier, Remy Sharp, Eric A. Meyer or Paul Irish for example. If they tell something nice about PW, usage of PW will expand. (I think)

My experience is these guys are pretty hard to get through to. I've personally talked to Eric Meyer and Jeremy Keith about ProcessWire and gave them a card with the URL on it. Even had lunch with Eric Meyer (he sat down next to me at an AEA event), and he's about the nicest person I've met. But I think he was relieved to talk about family and kids rather than webdev. These guys get hounded with everyone they meet telling them about their project, and it's pretty much all noise to them (as most of it probably should be). The mention of a "CMS" is especially noisy, as nearly every developer has dabbled into making their own CMS at one time or another. I'd venture to guess these guys hear about some new CMS almost every day. They make a genuine effort to act interested, but they really aren't. They need to hear about something many times, or from one they know really well, before they will take the time to investigate.

Ultimately I'm just interested in making sure ProcessWire is the best tool of its kind. Whether its "known" or not is beside the point. Granted, I'd like to share it with as many people that will benefit from it as possible, but would rather let folks find it at their own pace. I think ProcessWire is a real competitive advantage for many (at least is for me), enabling us to get things done quicker and at less cost. So if everyone was using it, it'd be harder for me to get work. :)

• Like 12

Sure! Mike over at CMSCritic is a good guy and I'd support anything he's doing over there. I'd encourage anyone that wants to vote for ProcessWire in any of those categories to please do so! I know I will. :)

Thanks for that Ryan! The goal with these awards is to help spread the word on both lesser known systems and systems that don't just win by playing the numbers game and having their huge communities vote like mad. I have been very vocal about my disappointment with Packt's awards and decided to get out own going. This is our first year and I've already lined up financial sponsors for next year so we can fork out some pretty amazing cash prizes.

Plus, you can win a Nexus 7 by voting or nominating so why not take two seconds and jump in?

best of luck to Processwire!

• Like 5

I've just done the same as you Adam after looking at the categories and the requirements for each.

It's good that ProcessWire ticks the boxes for Small and Medium business right through to Enterprise - it's flexible like that :)

I nominated PW for the first four categories and as a bonus was reminded why i really hate (re)Captchas :)

Is it just me or is reCaptcha a bit ridiculous these days? I have to refresh it a few times usually before I can get one that is legible :(

I agree about Recaptcha. It's rare that I don't have to reload the recaptcha several times before I find one I can take a guess with. Though sometimes I get lucky. But I've even had to abandon forms due to being unable to solve the recaptcha. The state of recaptcha makes me wonder if the whole captcha concept is becoming obsolete.

Voted for PW everywhere it fits! (counted 4 categories).

Speaking of captures. Did anybody have a chance to have fun discriminating cats from dogs hiding behind letters several years ago on Rapidshare? That was fun! I remember reloading that captures 10 times in a row and then I still made a mistake :)

• Like 1

<irrelevant><off_topic>

I think CAPTCHA's are actually misnamed. It means "Completely Automated Public Turing test to tell Computers and Humans Apart" but a Turing test is, AFAIK, a test applied by a human to tell humans and computers apart. In CAPTCHA's its done by a computer.

</off_topic></irrelevant>

• Like 2

Mike, maybe for next year's CMS awards we can get it setup on Form Builder, which keeps out spam with honeypots, Akismet and a Turing test. The advantage of honeypots and Akismet are that the user never knows there are spam prevention measure in place (unless they submit spam), as it all happens beyond their view. The turing test option is within their view (if you decide to use it), but it's up to the administrator to decide how simple or difficult to make the test. Recaptcha would qualify as an extremely difficult Turing test. :) I don't blame you for using recaptcha. If that was the only choice I would choose it in a heartbeat over an unprotected form. Having built a whole lot of forms over the years, spam would fall near the top of my list of considerations on any form, so I respect use of recaptcha even if it's become a lot more difficult to solve lately.

• Like 1

Yes, I'm not saying its a bad thing as You're both right that it would be a nightmare without it.

I just remember a time when there was a chance of answering it correctly on the first attempt whereas as Apeisa says it can take multiple attempts nowadays so whilst the forms no longer get spammed I really worry about how many people are simply giving up.

The Turing test of a simple Q&A has worked well for me elsewhere, even if they're simple things like "The Beagle probe crashed into Mars. which planet did it crash into?" you're keeping it simple and automated spammers are kept out.

This forum software actually allows us to enter several such questions and loads a random one, so the more the better as if a spam program is taught only one answer there's still some level of protection. For example, it would take only a short amount of time to come up with a few dozen simple questions and I think that would solve the problem as well as reCaptcha.

Sorry, I'm thinking more about the FormBuilder now than the CMSCritic form but these are purely meant as helpful suggestions :)

Mike, maybe for next year's CMS awards we can get it setup on Form Builder, which keeps out spam with honeypots, Akismet and a Turing test. The advantage of honeypots and Akismet are that the user never knows there are spam prevention measure in place (unless they submit spam), as it all happens beyond their view. The turing test option is within their view (if you decide to use it), but it's up to the administrator to decide how simple or difficult to make the test. Recaptcha would qualify as an extremely difficult Turing test. :) I don't blame you for using recaptcha. If that was the only choice I would choose it in a heartbeat over an unprotected form. Having built a whole lot of forms over the years, spam would fall near the top of my list of considerations on any form, so I respect use of recaptcha even if it's become a lot more difficult to solve lately.

A good suggestion, I'll definitely consider that.

• 3 weeks later...