Any forum members here that live in France?

Zahari M.

Hi there!

I'm hoping any forum members from France could perhaps help me :)

I have an old ThinkPad laptop and I have been trying to look for a part for it.
After some searching I have found one in France!

I did try emailing the company, but they did not reply :mellow:

Anyways, I'm hoping that a member here in France could help me buy it online, get it delivered to their house, and then ship it to me in Malaysia! I will PayPal you upfront.

If someone here can help, do let me know k!

Many thanks!

What is so special about that antique laptop, the serial port maybe to drive interfaces ? Or do you need running a previous windows version with some program only compatible with an old windows version ? In that case you can reinstall all that in a virtual machine inside windows on another laptop. Otherwise I suggest to open that Thinkpad up and take out that ide harddisk. Hook it up with an ide to usb adapter on another laptop. Then copy, or even better, clone all the partitions. Laptops that old have only 1 partition. The tool that clones partitions has also a file explorer so all previous system, application and personal data will be available on another (new) laptop. The same story applies to Linux.

Hi pwired!

Thanks for reading and your reply. Much appreciated!

Yes your right!! It's all about the ports.

The T60 T61 series laptops are special in that they have a dedicated adapter whereby you can take out the CD or DVD drive from the bay and in it's place put in a combined serial and parallel port interface adapter.

I managed to find one of these adapters in France. So am hoping that someone there can purchase it on my behalf and ship it to me :)

Even though they might be considered as antiques, I actually quite like these old ThinkPads. Also I am really getting in to Raspberry Pi's now and they would make a good low cost companion to connect to the Raspberry Pi with.

I just bought a T400 with docking station, monitor, mouse and keyboard for a very cheap price to use to play with my Raspberry Pi 3 and to learn Python and SQLite on :)

Thanks again pwired for chiming in :)

• Like 1

Yes it's usually that kind of hardware use that still makes them attractive.  I used a serial port once to switch on lights in a room at the moment a security camera overlay detected movement. I don't live in France so I can't forward that port adapter to you. But yes maybe somebody in France here will pick it up.

• Like 1