Why ProcessWire is the best choice for your website (not always, but in most cases)

dotnetic

Hi guys,

I published a new article "Why ProcessWire is the best choice for your website (not always, but in most cases)" on my website
It is also available in German "Warum ProcessWire die beste Wahl für Ihre Website ist (nicht immer, aber in den meisten Fällen)". 

Feel free to comment or give me advice on missing things.

Cheers
Jens

• Like 12

Nice article! :) I shared it on my facebook page.

Thanks a lot for linking to my CRM/office tool :)

Es beinhaltet die Generierung von Rechnungen als PDF und zeigt tagesaktuelle Statistiken. 

Sekundenaktuell ;):P :D but admittedly with some performance issues of my datatables module that i have to fix this year...

• Like 1

I really like the idea and the direction this article takes but there is one thing that ... has some kind of aftertaste.

You are writing ProcessWire ist sicher (ProcessWire is safe) and telling people that there are no documented security issues but linking out to a page that tells something different - at first people will only see:

Github ... ProcessWire... Issues... Security... security... security...

I know about PWs high level of security but even I had to take a much closer look at those issues.

Your audience could get this horribly wrong without further explanations as they will not dive deeper into those issues.

2017-11-28 16_51_22-Search · security · GitHub.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Just some more thoughts on this topic

I just asked myself Why would someone use Drupal or Typo3 and therefore read what they write on their sites. 

The shocking truth is that they don't say anything new at all.

Some arguments are valid, some are BUZZword Bingo but almost all of them match perfectly well with ProcessWire, too.
If we wanted to create a huge list of arguments for ProcessWire we can find a lot of material out there in the interwebs.

Can ProcessWire compete with Drupal or Typo3?
I think we all know the answer.

Next step Who uses Drupal or Typo3.

This is way more interesting to look at.

Big companies, big budgets and big agencies.
Absolutely well designed sites well presented. 

Drupal plays the showcase-game very well. Every site gets a lot of attention. Not only a screenshot, a link to the website, a link to the creator and a few links to modules. Everything is a case study. Browsing the list of sites is a really nice experience and makes me want to try Drupal and built awesome sites.

Could this be done with ProcessWire sites as well?
Absolutely.

Should we invest more time in presenting sites and projects?
You guess it.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

@wbmnfktr I removed the security related link, which was outdated anyways, as it was for the 2.x legacy version of ProcessWire. Right now, for PW3 there are no  documented security flaws.

The article is now translated into English and available here: 

https://jensmartsch.de/blog/why-processwire-is-the-best-choice-for-your-website

Additions and comments are welcome.

I also updated the first post, with links to both versions.

• Like 10

I created a 10 page white paper that we provide to prospective clients, which does compare PW to the big three, as well as commenting on topics like SEO, Speed, Security and Ease of use. Sort of a 'ProcessWire to the Rescue' story. Been very helpful during any proposal stage. Now i can also send them to your article..

• Like 6

It would be really nice, if you could share your insights @wbmnfktr @Macrura. Maybe I could update my article with them. @Macrura why isn't it a good idea to post it on the forum? Are there customer specific details in the paper? Maybe they can be removed and you could share it with the public. Would be nice, if you can send it to me per PM.

It will help if we bundle our efforts to push ProcessWire´s popularity and acceptance.

i could post an edited version, this one is very marketing oriented and names my company and other clients, and talks about some proprietary modules...

Perhaps an idea is to setup a GitBook that could be collaboratively edited, like an open source book about Why Choose ProcessWire; on Gitbook, the books can be read, or downloaded as PDF, ePub etc.. When i use this document at meetings, i usually print/bind it and go through the points with the perspective clients..

• Like 10

On 03/12/2017 at 4:17 PM, Macrura said:

i could post an edited version [...]

Please do!

On 03/12/2017 at 4:17 PM, Macrura said:

Perhaps an idea is to setup a GitBook that could be collaboratively edited, like an open source book about Why Choose ProcessWire; on Gitbook, the books can be read, or downloaded as PDF, ePub etc..

Not a bad idea either. I've usually relied on a few bullet points, so not sure how a "book" about this would look like, but I would love to see that :)

• Like 2

Here is the text, in a gitbook; hopefully nothing too controversial...

https://outflux3.gitbooks.io/why-choose-processwire/content/

If anyone wants to edit, feel free; Also, i want to add some images – screenshots of admin, some gtmetrix scores of really fast sites, and icons here and there (that are in the original but didn't make it to the gitbook).

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1