Add language affects existing content?

joe_g

Hello there.

Quick question about something I couldnt find out by scanning the forum:

Can I add a second language with the multilanguage text fieldtypes and still keep the existing content. Ie. can I translate a website with an existing content and structure, or do I have to plan the multilanguage support from the beginning?

thanks!

J

Hi Joe,

One of the nice features of the multilanguage fieldtypes is that when they are empty, they will fall back to the default populated field.

For example, if you have a multilanguage title in English and not in German, when outputting $page->title (and the user language is in German) - it will output the English title.

• Like 1

Changing the fieldtype is non destructive in this case. For example, changing a field from Text to TextLanguage, or from PageTitle to PageTitleLanguage, will not wipe out what's currently in the field. However, if you do the reverse (change from TextLanguage to Text) then it would of course be destructive to all but the default language. When in doubt, backup your DB before making a change like this, so that you can always revert should you want to.