Uups, a J**mla question? Really?

horst

Hi,

I have a need to get a mysql dump from a joomla site. The owner has admin access to the backend only, no FTP or other.
I have looked a bit around but couldn't quickly find something that lets me fetch a mysql dump.

Does someone know if this is possible in more or less basic joomla installations, or if it needs a special plugin?
Or how to find the db credentials within the admin?

I need some content from it to build a new PW site. :)

Thankful for any hint!

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, horst said:

Or how to find the db credentials within the admin?

Open the configuration.php file in the Joomla root directory. Do you have access to PHPMyAdmin ? if not, use the extension @dragan suggested. Look like there is another plugin for that, its name :  Backup Database ;)

And LOL O0

• Like 1

WOW, just today I was thinking of writing an article about clients protecting themselves from agency death.

Out of principle, I do the setup but make my clients buy the hosting themselves, give them all pre-compiled code (SCSS, original JS...) and give him the original files for the layout.

If I had 1€ for each time a client came to me with and discovered to be in a dead-end with their current site I'd... well almost be able to have a coffee at Starbucks. Almost.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, heldercervantes said:

If I had 1€ for each time a client came to me with and discovered to be in a dead-end with their current site I'd... well almost be able to have a coffee at Starbucks. Almost.

Lol.

I'm going to get clients to buy their own hosting too. I was all set up with a reseller account, then thought, actually, this is a bad idea for a one man band. My hosts kindly switched the account and transferred the files/databases, the whole lot for me.

One issue was that they dumped the public_html folders, inside the public_html folders, so I ended up with four sites with /public_html/public_html/index.php... doh! I did appreciated them moving the databases though, saved me a lot of hassle :) 

6 minutes ago, SamC said:

I'm going to get clients to buy their own hosting too.

From 2000 to 2015 I had a company that ran its own servers, and I can tell you that either you put yourself in the middle with clients that buy premium service and pay hundreds per month, or its just not worth the hassle. Our tech guy spent his days resetting email passwords and telling clients to check if their wifi was on. If you're taking a 5€ profit, one call is enough to burn it.

For me the best deal is to talk to the hosting provider, show them how much business you're bringing them, and use that to negotiate free hosting for yourself.

• Like 1

just to clarify: I have to offer a quote first!

It is a 3 languages site with ~ (3x) 100 pages and part of the deal is to transfer the content too. That's why I want to see the mysqldump before.

I don't want to change something at this point. I hope they will find / get the FTP credentials, that I can have a look into the configuration file. :)

So, seeing this, (my first joomla admin), I'm very happy to use PW.

7 minutes ago, heldercervantes said:

For me the best deal is to talk to the hosting provider, show them how much business you're bringing them, and use that to negotiate free hosting for yourself.

Now this I like :) 

7 minutes ago, horst said:

So, seeing this, (my first joomla admin), I'm very happy to use PW.

I've never used Joomla. And after reading this thread and using PW for over a year, can't say I've got a strong desire to try it! Good luck.