PW 3.0.84 – Core updates & installer

ryan

Thanks for the great update @ryan, any chance you could have a look at github? 

https://github.com/processwire/processwire-issues/issues/434

This bug is preventing me hitting a deadline. I'm worried I may have to swap to dare I say, WordPress until it's fixed. 

Its for an eCommerce system I'm building for a client which I will be releasing Open Source once completed. 

This guy seems to be having the same issue - https://github.com/processwire/processwire-issues/issues/430 just in a different context. 

Basically using save() in the hook Pages::save causes repeaters or page references not to save.

Edit:

Do you have a paid service in which you can pay to push bugs to the top of the list when it's deadline critical?  

@Tom., members of the PW community might be able to help with your issue if you can isolate the conditions that cause it and list steps for reproducing the issue. In the GitHub issue under "Steps to reproduce the issue" you just say...

1. Ask me for the files, I'll provide them.

...which really does not make for a useful bug report.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Robin S said:

@Tom., members of the PW community might be able to help with your issue if you can isolate the conditions that cause it and list steps for reproducing the issue. In the GitHub issue under "Steps to reproduce the issue" you just say...

...which really does not make for a useful bug report.

You replied to it.

For Github - I have elaborated on the steps to reproduce as suggested.
I did however, include a video and example code in the bug report. I also in bold, isolated the exact issue.

4 minutes ago, Tom. said:

You replied to it. I can elaborate on the steps to reproduce. 

I know, and I can't reproduce any problem, so more of a step by step guide to reproducing the issue on a clean PW installation would be helpful.

• Like 2

I wonder if this is a bug or if I need to adjust something?

Every user I create, no matter what role, only sees the classic or Reno theme. For those users where I decided they can't edit their own profile, they can never switch to the UIKit admin theme. Even if I go back to a user's profile as superadmin, and again save the profile (with Uikit checked), nothing changes. I tried with several users, did logoff/login several times - nothing.

Do I have to uninstall the classis + Reno theme, in order that every new user is assigned the UIKit theme?

The UIkit theme is looking lovely, but does anyone else think it goes a little too far in terms of padding?

2017-11-20_091757.thumb.png.455610cdb81e614050f0ba5db2ae624a.png

On my 27" monitor this interface looks quite large. On something like a 13" laptop you would not get much interface on the screen it would require a lot of scrolling.

I love clean whitespace as much as the next person, but there is more than just aesthetics to consider. The admin interface is something that as developers we are going to spend a significant amount of time using. The extra scrolling and mouse movement that a widely-spaced interface requires is something to consider.

Definitely not wanting a cramped, crowded interface but I think there is scope to be more efficient here, particularly in the vertical padding. In designing a utilitarian interface like this I would be inclined to follow a process of starting with no padding and then adding padding to elements by eye until it feels right. 

• Like 5

@ryan, this part of the blog post...

It sets AdminThemeUikit (added to the core last week) as the default admin theme on new installations.

...seems to contradict the setting in /wire/config.php, where...

$config->defaultAdminTheme = 'AdminThemeDefault';

Shouldn't the default admin theme used for new installations match that defined in /wire/config.php?

Also, is it possible to define a setting specifying the previous AdminThemeDefault as the default theme for new installs? Speaking for myself, I'm not ready to shift to AdminThemeUikit just yet and it's likely that aspects of my custom profile that I choose on installation are not compatible with AdminThemeUikit.

4 hours ago, Robin S said:

The UIkit theme is looking lovely, but does anyone else think it goes a little too far in terms of padding?

Agree. We all love space to breath, but in this case this is just too much. Especially those notices are annoying with their height. On the other hand, this is just default theme, waiting to be "pimped" ... 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, matjazp said:
9 hours ago, Robin S said:

Agree. We all love space to breath, but in this case this is just too much. Especially those notices are annoying with their height. On the other hand, this is just default theme, waiting to be "pimped" ... 

+1, Let's file an issue report :)

• Like 1

Not sure if this is due to any changes in this specific version, but I’m not able to upload images (tested in a user profile). It returns with Invalid POST Data.

lserv-2017-11-20-15-53-38.screengrab.jpeg.3c0450270a1a9dc4fddd5c5d0c745c86.jpeg

Upon further investigation, it seems to come from this: /wire/modules/Process/ProcessProfile/ProcessProfile.module (line 213)

When uploading the image, it sends a post request to /admin/profile/?InputfieldFileAjax=1, with the following headers:

X-FIELDNAME:image
X-FILENAME:6.png
X-REQUESTED-WITH:XMLHttpRequest

The user ID doesn’t appear to be set in the request, which is why the error is thrown.

Interestingly, the HTTP code returned is 200…

After that request, another is made to blob:http://domain.lserv/aa5ddd22-6dbf-42e0-9d12-1cee83b8fb39, which returns the image I uploaded, yet it does not exist in the files directory. (Honestly, I don’t know how AJAX uploads work behind the scenes, so this part of it could well be by design…)

Is there something further I need to do, or is this a geniune bug that needs reporting?

• Like 2

@ryan, would you consider making the top-level item in the AdminThemeUikit user nav configurable and/or hookable?

2017-11-26_203057.png.5f2ab630fd5b5db9d062de92cefe5214.png

I'd like to have the option to make this top-level link a "View site" link rather than an edit profile link, as per the default admin theme. It's much more common for me to want to quickly launch a front-end tab than to edit my profile.

• Like 1

@Robin S - not sure what you think, but I actually don't think that "View site" really belongs under the user's name. Maybe it should be reserved for Profile and Logout and we should have a "Home" icon over on the left, just to the right of "Access"? Not sure what to do about the Debug option - I don't ever use it so maybe I am biased, but I think the link at the bottom right of the page is enough.

I don't feel terribly strongly about this - just some quick late night thoughts :) , but I do think that some users may struggle to find the "View Site" link - I don't really think I would ever think to look under my username to find it.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, adrian said:

I do think that some users may struggle to find the "View Site" link - I don't really think I would ever think to look under my username to find it.

Sure, it is odd to put View Site and Debug there in the first place. Maybe the logo could have its own dropdown menu and View Site and Debug could be moved there?

Edited by szabesz
typo

15 hours ago, adrian said:

I actually don't think that "View site" really belongs under the user's name

It doesn't really. But for that matter it doesn't make a lot of sense under the wrench icon on the default theme either. It's just something you discover by using it. The advantage as I see it in the default theme is that you can quickly go to the front-end just by clicking the wrench - you don't have to actually find and click the "View site" link in the dropdown.

Not sure what to do about the Debug option - I don't ever use it so maybe I am biased, but I think the link at the bottom right of the page is enough.

Like "View site", this doesn't really belong under the user profile menu. But I don't mind much because like you I don't use it.

but I do think that some users may struggle to find the "View Site" link - I don't really think I would ever think to look under my username to find it

I think you're right. But my main concern is just for my own use - I use the "View site" link so often that I would like it to be easy to find and click. An icon on either on the left or the right of the masthead would be fine.

• Like 1

Just a suggestion for enhancement: There should be a means to prevent installation of components out of order. Yes, currently an alert is displayed. However, the user should not be able to proceed at this stage.

pw-error.jpg.15575e5b0edfd6c038b6fc747a2d026a.jpg

We should have the module installation either install the dependency (as other modules state, "will install xxx") or have those modules not available until dependencies are installed.

Just my $.02

• Like 1

@szabesz, Yes it appears to be the same issue still present in 84. 

What went wrong for me was that I attempted to install a module that depended upon another module which was not yet installed. I proceeded expecting it to install the dependency. No joy. So I did a fresh install because I don't trust any errors, regardless of how insignificant they may seem.

• Like 1