What are you doing, when you have no work to do at the moment?

Orkun

- Are you trying to learn something new (programming language, framework etc...)?

- Are you trying to refactor code from past projects where you have written "bad/not so good" code?

- Are you asking other employees for work or if you can help at something?

Learning new is something that I do as I work on projects.

On my down time I usually work on personal projects. Rethinking my personal site, looking for new opportunities... heck, the other day I found myself creating a text editor web-app, as if there weren't enough of those already, just for the fun of it.

The idea is to keep challenging myself, so more and better things can come up in the future.

• making games on Unity3d
  • trying to find work from other web designers and clients
  • playing with my baby
  • going through the long list of backlog tasks and personal projects to see if i have the time/money to start any (usually games, code learning, or writing)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, benbyf said:
  • making games on Unity3d
  • trying to find work from other web designers and clients
  • playing with my baby
  • going through the long list of backlog tasks and personal projects to see if i have the time/money to start any (usually games, code learning, or writing)

I have interest in 3D however it's WebGL am planning to start with using BabylonJS ,GameDev and Emulating are my hobbies and what interest me, I hope you share this journey on your blog, i'd be interested to read. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, benbyf said:

Ive got some bits here: https://benbyford.com/works/?f=games

and here: https://benbyford.com/experiments/?f=games

Haven't done lots of game stuff yet commerically, and I'm mainly focused on 2d games as 3d requires TIMEEEEEEEEE and money, and i think im just more interested in 2d

lol was already on your website the moment i saw Unity, and I like the experiments you have, yes It takes time and money , I realized this while trying to take up 3D Modelling in Blender, I gave up due to other projects, but am opening to free up time for this, lovely personal website by the way. 

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Hey,

Just bumping this.  Might not be relevant, but I am working on a 3d interactive online comic and I'd like to use processwire as my framework.  I'm not sure how to integrate webgl into a processwire template.

I'm more of an artist than a programmer and not super familiar with Processwire.  But it seems like the right fit for what I want to do.

Does anyone have some advice on working with a webgl js library in Processwire?

@gbball which library? Like any CMS style thing, processwire makes it easy yo work with content and create content driven sites - including things like users etc. If you dont have much content that needs to be easily edited thennnnnnnn probably don't use a CMS ? If you do then totally use PW as your content engine and the template system to display content on a page that also houses your webGL etc

Hi benbyf,

I want to have several chapters of a comic which people can leave comments and feedback on, and a dev blog for the comic and the game.  Using something like processwire will be harder to set up initially, but it will be more extensible in the long run.

I'm not sure which webGl library I'll use yet.  Need to do some tests, but I was thinking of three.js or doing webGL exports from Unreal since that's where I'm making the game.  I also heard that Babylon.js is good for interactive projects.  There is also Blend4web, which might be good because I use Blender for asset creation.

Hello gbball and welcome to the forum,

1 hour ago, gbball said:

I'm not sure how to integrate webgl into a processwire template.

WebGL is a browser technology, so everything happens on the client side and has nothing to do with ProcessWire.

1 hour ago, gbball said:

Does anyone have some advice on working with a webgl js library in Processwire?

You just have to make sure your library gets loaded on your page. The docs of three.js show you how you do that: https://threejs.org/docs/index.html#manual/en/introduction/Creating-a-scene

46 minutes ago, gbball said:

Using something like processwire will be harder to set up initially, but it will be more extensible in the long run.

This sounds good to me ? 

45 minutes ago, gbball said:

I did a crude test, taking one of the three.js example files and turning it into a template and it didn't work out properly.

Did you do (DO, not READ ? ) the hello worlds tutorial? https://processwire.com/docs/tutorials/hello-worlds/ This might help you to understand the basics of PW and might make it easier to do the right things when going through the three.js docs.

• Like 2

Thanks Berhard,

I appreciate your patience.  I think I might have some idea of what I'm doing wrong.  I'm using the UIkit3 blog installation of processwire and it looks like there is a lot of code appended to the template I tried.  I will have to sit down with it a bit longer and also learn more about how uikit is being integrated with processwire so that I get the correct head information with the right dependencies.

Also,

I went through that tutorial when I first came across Processwire a few years ago.  But I haven't spent much time using it since then.  I could probably use a refresher.

I think what I'd like to know if it's possible is.  Can I make it so that I can just embed the javascript (three.js) into the a textarea field in a template that I can then display as a page?  Maybe if I ensure that the dependencies are being met by the template file.  Would that work?  It seems there are few limitations in what is possible with the textarea and writing source code in that doesn't always display the way I intended on a page.  Is there a setting that I can change for it to work properly?  Also, how do I get the extra code to not show up at end of my template file when using the UIkit3 blog setup?  

ProcessWire does not dictate which Framework you use on the frontend. The blog profile is just an example, and in this example Uikit is used. You could though, also use any other framework. Or none. That's up to you. Have a look at the blank profile.

Do the Hello World Tutorial again and then add your three.js library there. While I guess that nothing really changed since when you did it the first time, your brain might be happy to get a refresher ? 

Putting Code into Textarea fields is possible, but I'd not recommend it unless you are advanced and really know what you are doing.