Discover Pelorus

Kiwi Chris

More than a year after I submitted a proposal, I finally was given the contract to build a new website for a regional promotion organisation, promoting a very sparsely populated part of NZ.

https://www.pelorus.nz/

The original website I think was running CMS Made Simple, however it was not mobile friendly, and the organisation of directory listings into categories was unreliable, and edits required requests to the original developer.

My brief was to make the site mobile friendly, and user editable, although I also ended up providing some of the photography as some of the site owners were slow to come forward with material themselves. I didn't rewrite content as that was beyond the scope of what I was asked to provide.

Bootstrap 4 came out after I'd already started the project, so it's built using Bootstrap 3.

Modules I used:

• Admin Restrict Branch (So owners of listings can log in and edit their own listings, but nothing more)
  • AIOM+ - I found the LESS compilation handy, as I could work with the Bootstrap source files and adjust variables rather than overriding compiled bootstrap.
  • Fieldtype Phone - so I could easily format phone numbers so that they would work both as URLs and display correctly.
  • Social Share Buttons - although I created a modified colour set of icons.
  • Jumplinks - to map URLs from old site to maintain SEO.

• Like 8

16 hours ago, DaveP said:

Even fast from the other side of the world! (I can see AIOM and some srcset voodoo going on from view source.)

Processwire's image handling is great for generating different sized images for the srcset attribute in HTML 5. It can make the initial page load a bit slow after an image is first uploaded, but it's fast after that.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Robin S said:

I spent my first seven years of life in Canvastown and have fond memories of that area (Pelorus Bridge especially). A beautiful spot. 

Hopefully there will be some listings for the Wakamarina on there in future. I remember school camps up at Deep Creek.
The old site was pretty ugly and I suspect that didn't attract members. Hopefully with the refresh, people will be more enthusiastic about the site and it will grow.

• Like 1

On 11/13/2017 at 9:50 PM, psy said:

Lovely site and unbelievably fast. How did you do that?

Apart from what I've already mentioned, in response to DaveP, I'm running on PHP 7.1 I noticed over in another thread here:

https://processwire.com/talk/topic/17707-php-in-2017-rasmus-lerdorf-wearedevelopers-conference-2017/

The creator of PHP mentioned in the video that there's a big difference in performance between PHP 5.x and 7.x so that may be having some impact on performance too.

• Like 2