Processwire on Ubuntu Issue - Outputting code instead of Executing

FrancisChung

Hi there,
A colleague of mine is trying to get our site running on his local Ubuntu LAMP Setup (Ubuntu 17.10, Apache 2.4.27, PW 3.0.62, PHP 7.1.11)

When he types in the Homepage URL, he's getting code outputted instead of being executed.
Does any one know why?

Update : 

Just Figured it out.
Apparently, it's a new PHP7 security feature that disables from code executing if the code module starts with <? instead of <php
I'm using MAMP locally so I'm guessing MAMP is somehow circumventing this but LAMP isn't.

I'm posting this so people can save themselves hours pulling their hair out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If I'm getting this right, you're talking about short open tags? That's not exactly a new thing, but rather something that users have been discouraged to use for a very long time. Though you can still enable short open tags with the short_open_tag php.ini setting, if you've still got code that relies on short opening tags, you should consider updating it to the regular <?php opening tags :)

That being said, in PHP7 they did remove some utterly obsolete tags: the ASP style tags (<% %>) and the script tags (<script language="php"></script>). My guess is that most users probably didn't even know that those existed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, teppo said:

if you've still got code that relies on short opening tags, you should consider updating it to the regular <?php opening tags :)

Thanks for your advice. I will do as suggested. Never expected a simple syntax idiosyncrasy like that would completely catch me out. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Similar Content

• By Aswincs
      Here are the step by step to install and setup ProcessWire with the help of a server management tool - https://cloudstick.io/
      1. Create your Vultr compute.

2. Select the Operating system Ubuntu 16.04/18.04/20.04 LTS >> Enter your server root password then click on Deploy now!

3. Create an account in CloudStick and connect your server:

Click on connect server >> Enter your server login details >> Add this server.

4. Your server setup will be done in couple of minutes - The setup will finish less than 8 minutes. Then select your server:

5. Create an account to host/upload ProcessWire: Click on Accounts >> Create an account >> Create Custom Web application:

6. Enter the web application details, such as the email address which you would like to receive the SFTP login details >> web application name >> Domain name >> username then >> select the web application stack >> nginx + apache >> then create web application. 

7. Now select the web application then install SSL: 
      8. Open your email account, and find the login details to connect the server over SFTP >> then upload the source code of ProcessWire:

9. Let us open the domain in browser once the upload finish.

10. Select the profile and click next:

11. Click next to proceed further: Now, you will see an incompatibility issue with PDO-Mysql which can be install in 2 clicks.

12. Go back to the summary page >> Click on easy PHP >> Select the PHP version of your web account:

13. Then it is time to enable PDO_Mysql, scroll down and enable it:

14. Go back to to the ProcessWire installation URL and click on check again >> You can see no incompatibility issue after enabling PDO_Mysql:

15. Click on Next and now it is time to enter the database credentials:

16. let us create the database, db user and grant privilege's to the db user - it is just matter of few clicks and very easy! 
      Click on the menu Accounts >> Select your web account of ProcessWire >> Click on App Database then create the a database:

17: Click on create database and enter the database name:

18. Create the database user:

19: Go back to the database page and click on Grant user then grant permission:

20. Go back to the ProcessWire installation URL and enter the database credentials you have created in CloudStick dashboard.
      Now, it is time to setup your admin user credentials and setup admin area URL:

21. Then you are done:

• By muzzer
      Existing PW site version 2.7.2 core running on php7.1. Site is perhaps 7 yrs old and never misses a beat. Can't speak highly enough about this solid version, but....
      As new php versions are released (v8 in the next year I think?) and each seems to get quicker I'm looking at upgrading to php7.3 or 7.4 and upgrading the site to PW v3.x.
      I've been away from the forums since v3 was released so don't know much about it. I guess it's stable as it's been around for ages now, but what I'm wondering is:
      what are the real advantages of upgrading to v3 for a site which is actively used but with only periodic development. And what are the disadvantages if any? Is there any speed impact (good or bad) in either general site speed under 3.x or admin-use speed/ease of use? any issues with either PW version with newer php versions (>7.1) I should know about? is there any good write-ups/vids about new features etc of v3 compared to v2.7? Thank you

• By modifiedcontent
      I had upgraded my Apache configuration to include PHP7.2 and PHP7.3 for a Laravel-based script on the same server. Somehow it/I messed up a previously fine Processwire site, in a very confusing way.
      The site still looks fine, but editing template files has no effect whatsoever. It is stuck on some kind of cached version. I have already disabled PHP7's OPcache, cleared browser caches, etc, with no effect.
      The pages now apparently come from PW's assets/cache/FileCompiler folder, even though I never enabled template caching for this site.
      I have tried adding "namespace ProcessWire;" to the top of the homepage template file, but then I get this fatal error:
      My functions.php file pulls data in from another Processwire installation on the same VPS with the following line:
      $othersitedata = new ProcessWire('/home/myaccount/public_html/myothersite/site/', 'https://myothersite.com/'); That apparently still works fine; the site still displays data from the other installation, but via the "cached" template that I am now unable to change.

I don't know where to start with this mess. Does any of this sound familiar to anyone? Any pointers in the right direction would be much appreciated. 

Edit:
      Adding "$config->templateCompile = false;" to config.php results in the same fatal error as above. 
    • By Martin Wuehr
      Hello everybody,
      a clients server was updated to php7. 
      As a result, the php code used with processwire isn't interpreted correctly any more. The foreach loops are commented out so as a result a part of the php code is displayed in the browser.
      I tried to use <?php instead but the result was the same.
      Any ideas? Thank you for your help!
      Martin

• By Sergio
      All of a sudden, with nothing changed on the database or server, a website was getting error when doing a search:
      Error: Exception: SQLSTATE[HY000]: General error: 23 Out of resources when opening file './your-database-name/pages_parents.MYD' (Errcode: 24 - Too many open files) (in /home/forge/example.com/public/wire/core/PageFinder.php line 413) #0 /home/forge/example.com/public/wire/core/Wire.php(386): ProcessWire\PageFinder->___find(Object(ProcessWire\Selectors), Array) #1 /home/forge/example.com/public/wire/core/WireHooks.php(723): ProcessWire\Wire->_callMethod('___find', Array) #2 /home/forge/example.com/public/wire/core/Wire.php(442): ProcessWire\WireHooks->runHooks(Object(ProcessWire\PageFinder), 'find', Array) #3 /home/forge/example.com/public/wire/core/PagesLoader.php(248): ProcessWire\Wire->__call('find', Array) #4 /home/forge/example.com/public/wire/core/Pages.php(232): ProcessWire\PagesLoader->find('title~=EAP, lim...', Array) #5 /home/forge/example.com/public/wire/core/Wire.php(383): ProcessWire\Pages->___find('title~=EAP, lim...') #6 /home/forge/example.com/public/wire This error message was shown because: you are logged in as a Superuser. Error has been logged.  
      I tried several things, listed in this thread: https://serverfault.com/questions/791729/ubuntu-16-04-server-mysql-open-file-limit-wont-go-higher-than-65536
      But for some reason, MySQL was not getting its limit increased, but in the end, the one that did the trick was this:
      This worked for me on Ubuntu Xenial 16.04:
      Create the dir /etc/systemd/system/mysql.service.d
      Put in /etc/systemd/system/mysql.service.d/override.conf:
      [Service] LimitNOFILE=1024000 Now execute
      systemctl daemon-reload systemctl restart mysql.service Yes indeed, LimitNOFILE=infinity actually seems to set it to 65536.
      You can validate the above after starting MySQL by doing:
      cat /proc/$(pgrep mysql)/limits | grep files