Improving site speed: server settings or html?

mangopo

What could I do to improve site speed? I have read the posts here and turned on PW's cache and made sure mod_deflate is installed.

Google's webmaster tools is reporting load time of 7.2 seconds which is quite high (it used to be 2-3 seconds in our old website with no CMS). Analytics is showing page load speeds of over 10 seconds for Firefox users - I don't know how accurate that is.

I have moved the site to a VPS server and increased RAM to 1 Gb but seen no improvement in site speed. The site has very little traffic.

Is it a server issue or is it more about the Javascript or images on the site? It is pretty much clean html5+css3.. Facebook plugins?

I have limited knowledge on server settings. One guy optimized my other site by changing server settings and there was a huge increase in site speed.

Url is www.lentovertailu.fi.

I did a test with chrome tools, and it tells me that you have scripts and css inside the <body>

I'm sure that this isn't the main problem, but it might influence the rendering speed. I would move them to the <head>

Loaded fast for me … felt the same speed as any other fast site. There is a nice plugin for Firefox called YSlow (or something like that) that can help with debugging this stuff. But I'm not convinced Google is right about the load time.

It seems the site is loading 62K of Facebook javascript. :( That must be annoying. It's a good thing you have deflate turned on. Also, looks like jquery is loaded twice. You could combine a few of these scripts probably too. But the site doesn't seem too slow to me. Nice work.

• 8 months later...

I have managed to get it down from 7 to 4 seconds with traditional methods: server settings, compression, optimizing images etc. with the help of Google's PageSpeed. Server response time is still an issue but not related to PW, it is caused by a visitor tracking php script. My target is to get average loading times to under 3 seconds.

I have managed to get it down from 7 to 4 seconds with traditional methods: server settings, compression, optimizing images etc. with the help of Google's PageSpeed. Server response time is still an issue but not related to PW, it is caused by a visitor tracking php script. My target is to get average loading times to under 3 seconds.

Maybe you can let the visitor tracking php script do its work after you have already flushed the page content?

Maybe you can let the visitor tracking php script do its work after you have already flushed the page content?

Do you mean by moving the counter code to the end of index.php? I tried that but it started logging incorrect visitor times, no idea why.

Just looking at the home page, is there some duplication of .js files?

(and all those custom fonts and cufon?)

It is still a bit messy.. a lot of work embedding the search script with custom php+js+css to the PW page template with it's own css+js.