Visual Studio Code for ProcessWire Developers

kongondo

thx @Peter Knight don't know what the benefit of another program should be... I like to have everything in the editor and see everything live while I'm working on the code:

5a5f29cf7b582_2018-01-1711_45_02-screenshot.thumb.png.cbae05d84ff2235048e2f06992461aee.png

only thing missing is a proper way to push changes to a pw site... but that's part of the roadmap thread (of course it is possible, but as mentioned there I think it is a lot more complicated to achieve than I am used to by processwire easiness).

+1 for Tower!

Switched away from Sourcetree because it requires an account now. 

For now, Tower/Sourcetree/... are easier for me to handle all kinds of git-things apart from simple commit/push/pull like for example: rebase, stash, squash, ... and it is visually nice.

I also use vs code. It is still nice to browse diffs in it or just to have a convenient second place to commit/push.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, blynx said:

+1 for Tower!

Switched away from Sourcetree because it requires an account now. 

Completely understand if you don't wish to create accounts for the sake of it. 
I happen to use Bitbucket quite a lot as well, which integrates well with Sourcetree since they share the same maker.

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/01/2018 at 9:24 PM, bernhard said:

looks interesting!

so @kongondo don't you use vscode git at all or do you use vscode git for simple tasks (like shown in my screenshot) and sourcetreeapp for more complex ones?

thx

Oops, forgot to respond..

I don't use VSC git at all. One, I was already used to sourcetree (I tried others but they never worked for me). I feel the VSC git interface looks a little bit cramped. I guess I am also a bit jittery I'd make mistakes in there. In a sense, I don't want a swiss army knife in this case. I use VSC for the text side of things and sourcetree for what it was meant to be; a git app :).

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, SamC said:

So do none of you guys use the command line for git? Using desktop apps instead?

For me it's a mix. I really like a GUI for visually reviewing the code changes in all files before committing.

But for checking out and pulling updates from other (not my) repos, I use the command line.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, adrian said:

For me it's a mix. I really like a GUI for visually reviewing the code changes in all files before committing.

But for checking out and pulling updates from other (not my) repos, I use the command line.

I guess I haven't been doing anything complex enough to need a GUI. Just stuff like this:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/bitbucketserver/importing-code-from-an-existing-project-776640909.html

Forced myself away from dropbox and now have to use git on my two computers in order to sync my work. Otherwise I would have just kept putting it back.

It's been interesting to say the least. Cool progress though!

• 2 months later...
57 minutes ago, bernhard said:

If anybody of you like me totally missed the markdown preview of vscode just click the preview icon on the top right:

I've been using the Auto-Open Markdown Preview extension. Works a treat. Only problem I have with it is that it does not auto-close the preview when the markdown file is closed.

• Like 1

I'm been using VSCode for the last 9 months or so and I love it. I'm mostly a Javascript developer so it does fit in my alley but I've had success with using it with PW. 

On 1/17/2018 at 10:49 AM, bernhard said:

only thing missing is a proper way to push changes to a pw site... 

The little circle/refresh symbol in the bottom left  allows you to push your changes to Github/Gitlab etc. Or you can use the command palette to "Git Push". Works a treat with Continuous Interaction. 

There's also a remote FTP plugin which lets you sync which I've used a couple of times on legacy projects. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, StanLindsey said:

The little circle/refresh symbol in the bottom left  allows you to push your changes to Github/Gitlab etc. Or you can use the command palette to "Git Push". Works a treat with Continuous Interaction. 

There's also a remote FTP plugin which lets you sync which I've used a couple of times on legacy projects. 

Thx, I know all those options. Don't know exactly what I meant with my comment ;) I think I was talking about some kind of staging/dev setup... Not related to vscode of course :)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

what are your settings for the file search ignore? today I hit ctrl+p to find and edit /site/ready.php but I accidently chose ready.php inside the filecompiler folder...

Fa0nygh.png

**/site/assets/cache/**

This snippet in the user settings helps, but I wonder if you have any other folders excluded?

146426696_2018-05-0814_39_14-settings.json-360-VisualStudioCode.png.ccb63f189a0f3a229088d4903acd3fcf.png

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/8/2018 at 1:40 PM, bernhard said:

what are your settings for the file search ignore?

I have never gotten round to adding custom ignore ones. 

On 5/8/2018 at 1:40 PM, bernhard said:

today I hit ctrl+p to find and edit /site/ready.php but I accidently chose ready.php inside the filecompiler folder

?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thx @gmclelland very helpful!

I'm working on my git workflow and I just found the GitLens extension. I haven't tested it much but it looks quite amazing so far! https://gitlens.amod.io/

2018-08-02--16-40-23.thumb.png.8f0e126ebe2a481454d3086ef5d8e397.png

Also I've switched from the portable version back to a regularly installed version, because that has several benefits (for example having it in the context menu). I just moved my "data" folder to my OneDrive and placed a symlink to the installed VSCode folder:

// make a backup of your data folder
// open cmd (with admin privileges!)
mklink /J "C:\Program Files\Microsoft VS Code\data" "D:\OneDrive\programme\portable\vscode\data"

/* editor */
  "editor.rulers": [80, 120],
  "editor.tabSize": 2,
  "editor.renderWhitespace": "boundary",
  "files.associations": {
    "*.module": "php",
    "*.inc": "php"
  },
  "editor.renderIndentGuides": true,

/* search */
  "search.exclude": {
    "site/assets/cache/**": true,
  },

11 minutes ago, zoeck said:

Could you post which plugins you use?
I am currently setting up my VS code ? 

Sure, atm only these:

2018-08-03--10-13-58.png.a286da017fec09604e8f5756fee8af93.png

Nothing special. I don't have any fance code completion yet, so I'd be happy to get recommendations ?