Onsen Framework

clsource

Hello,

I just want to point out this framework for making html apps https://onsen.io/

it's compatible with jquery, angular, vue, react or any other js framework.

So far I made an app using this and bootstrap with https://propeller.in/

for the desing and some libs like jquery and lodash for the app logic

I prefer this to other alternatives like ionic since it does not bound you to angular or react.

Cheers :)

• Like 10

5 hours ago, kongondo said:

Yeah. I have been learning TypeScript and NativeScript.

NativeScript is great too.

But keep in mind that if you need an app that is form heavy (like many apps for enterprises)

just using html forms maybe the best choice.

The problem with NativeScript and other "Native" frameworks is the UX needs to be tailored for native style apps.
If you only have developers and designers experienced in the web UX you will have troubles adapting the web UX to the native UX.

7 minutes ago, clsource said:

the UX needs to be tailored for native style apps.
If you only have developers and designers experienced in the web UX you will have troubles adapting the web UX to the native UX.

I get you. However, UI in NativeScript is made using just XML and CSS. XML is quite simple, especially if you already know HTML. In return you get the speed that comes with native apps. Onsen looks neat though, so I have one eye on it :) . 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kongondo said:

I get you. However, UI in NativeScript is made using just XML and CSS. XML is quite simple, especially if you already know HTML. In return you get the speed that comes with native apps. Onsen looks neat though, so I have one eye on it :) . 

Thanks for your reply

As a matter of fact. I was tasked in creating a form heavy application. I started using NativeScript but the designers abused the combo box (html select option) in the desings. Because picker views (combo box) were huge in the native implementation compared to the web versions, the UX should be redesigned from scratch (there were so many inputs in the form that a single screen should be separated in 5 or more just to be more simple to use). So because time and money constraints the solution was: throw away Nativescript and just use a web view with onsen framework.

Onsen, Nativescript, Jasonette or React Native are wonderful tools for making Apps with Javascript. It's important to know the limitations and capabilities of each tool and select the right one for the job at hand.

:D

• Like 2