Pixrael

Admin Breadcrumb Dropdown Idea

Hi guys!

What do you think about something like this? Because I use this option regularly in the Windows File Explorer breadcrumb and it's very useful. The drop-down menu can display only published/visible child pages. I've tried to find how to do it as a module, but I'm not a coder with enough skills for that ... or I don't know if I can use hooks to do that ...

breadcrumb-paths.gif.f9940179324ffbbb81a0b32f600af264.gif

• Like 13

Actually, that's quite similar to the breadcrumb dropdown I built for our new intranet layout, so I totally agree :). I don't think there's a good place to hook into, but making AdminThemeUikit::renderBreadcrumb hookable shouldn't be too expensive. It might be worth adding a feature request in the issue tracker.

• Like 5

Wouldn't mind having this feature in the core either. Just saying :)

Admittedly my first impression was "oh man, not again". Some sites (Basecamp, Dropbox) have recently implemented their own flavors of "breadcrumb dropdowns", and in my opinion both get it wrong. In Basecamp clicking what seems like a link to the previous item actually opens a dropdown with that item and its children, while in Dropbox deeper down all but the last two levels are removed from the breadcrumbs and the first item turns into a dropdown.

Both make sense in their own ways, but a) break the "open this link in a new tab" feature and b) are totally unexpected and confusing, at least to me. Your approach makes use of the spacer items, which not only makes more sense in this context, but also doesn't break the familiar breadcrumb pattern. Thumbs up for this :)

• Like 4

Great concept. Im not sure its obvious wnough to click on the arrows since these almost never have any functions associated eithout a more visual indication... in this regard i think a dropdown on a link would increase the usability for an average user.

btw, what theme (opetions) arre you using here?

Good point about usability, maybe something like a outlined button could work. I would not like to replace the current link with a dropdown menu because it would be better to preserve the function of the current link and add the new function. The theme is the regular Reno that comes with PW installation, you can access it in the admin profile.

drop.png

• Like 1

Looks a bit too much for me, how about a dotted underline only?

I would say keep the interface the same as other comboboxes for consistency. Adding sub-menu options to an existing breadcrumb is in effect a combobox. So why not change the breadcrumbs to a sequence of comboboxes separating each as you would normally. The visual ques remain the same for the user. Just a thought. 

I use this hook to inject edit icons into the breadcrumb. Unfortunately the options exposed by $this->wire('breadcrumbs') are not great, no page id's etc… so it's kind of a hack…

634830168_ScreenShot2018-06-06at17_24_29.png.925b18bb089f37750c7a5a7b30585abd.png

public function init()
	{
		wire()->addHookAfter('AdminThemeUikit::renderBreadcrumbs', $this, 'renderBreadcrumbs');
	}

/**
	 * Render a list of breadcrumbs (list items), excluding the containing <ul>.
	 * @return string
	 */
	public function renderBreadcrumbs(HookEvent $event)
	{
		if (!$event->return) {
			return;
		}

$process = $this->wire('page')->process;
		if ($process == 'ProcessPageList') {
			return '';
		}
		$breadcrumbs = $this->wire('breadcrumbs');
		$out = '';

// don't show breadcrumbs if only one of them (subjective)
		if (count($breadcrumbs) < 2 && $process != 'ProcessPageEdit') {
			return '';
		}

if (strpos($this->layout, 'sidenav') === false) {
			$out = '<li>'.$event->object->renderQuickTreeLink().'</li>';
		}

foreach ($breadcrumbs as $breadcrumb) {
			$title = $breadcrumb->get('titleMarkup');
			if (!$title) {
				$title = $this->wire('sanitizer')->entities1($this->_($breadcrumb->title));
			}

$edit = '';
			$icon = $event->object->renderIcon('pencil');
			if (strpos($breadcrumb->url, 'open=') > 0) {
				$pageid = explode('open=', $breadcrumb->url);
				$pageid = end($pageid);
				if (wire('pages')->get($pageid)->editable()) {
					$edit = "&nbsp;&nbsp;<a href='../edit/?id=$pageid'>$icon</a>";
				}
			} elseif (strpos($breadcrumb->url, '../') !== false && wire('process')) {
				$pageid = wire('process')->getPage()->parent->id;
				if (wire('pages')->get($pageid)->editable()) {
					$edit = "&nbsp;&nbsp;<a href='../edit/?id=$pageid'>$icon</a>";
				}
				// modify open
				$breadcrumb->url = "../?open=$pageid";
			}
			$out .= "<li><a href='$breadcrumb->url'>$title</a>$edit</li>";
		}

if ($out) {
			$out = "<ul class='uk-breadcrumb'>$out</ul>";
		}

$event->return = $out;
	}

@ryan maybe this would be a useful addition to AdminThemeUikit?

• Like 3

Kinda OT, but thanks for posting this idea.  I had no idea you could click the arrows in windows file explorer and get a dropdown!  Learn something new every day.

I released a module that adds dropdown menus to the breadcrumbs in Page Edit.

dropdowns.gif.7b463ed7b5fac2185badd62162a9c10b.gif

• Like 4

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Noel Boss
      Admin Theme Boss
      A light and clear theme based on Uikit 3
      Features
      Four unique color options Beautifully redesigned login screens Modern typografy using Roboto Condensed Extended breadcrumb with edit links Extends AdminThemeUikit, so you can continue using all current and future AdminThemeUikit features Option to activate theme for all users   Updated and Releases
      There is a shiny new release page where you can subscribe to updates for new releases of AdminThemeBoss.   Color Variants:
      ProcessWire Blue

Dark Black

Vibrant Blue

Happy Pink

Requirements
      Requires a current ProcessWire version with AdminThemeUikit installed and activated.
      Installation
      Make sure AdminThemeUikit is activated Go to “Modules > Site > Add New“ Paste the Module Class Name “AdminThemeBoss“ into the field “Add Module From Directory“ Click “Download And Install“ On the overview, click “Download And Install“ again… On the following screen, click “Install Now“

Manual Installation
      Make sure the above requirements are met Download the theme files from GitHub or the ProcessWire Modules Repository. Copy all of the files for this module into /site/modules/AdminThemeBoss/ Go to “Modules > Refresh” in your admin Click “Install“ on the “AdminThemeBoss“ Module
    • By benbyf
      I always seem to get this warning on every new install of PW on my Ubuntu 14 box with Digital Ocean. The servers are usually based in the UK and I was wondering if I should be adding something other than the below in the config? Is there a UK based locale code? Quick Google didnt come up with much.
      Warning: your server locale is undefined and may cause issues. Please add this to /site/config.php file (adjust “en_US.UTF-8” as needed): setlocale(LC_ALL,'en_US.UTF-8');
      Added to the config file:
      setlocale(LC_ALL,'en_US.UTF-8');  
    • By mjut
      Hello!
      I am trying to get some extra css-file into my admin templates. I managed to modify my admin.php to this:
      <?php namespace ProcessWire; require($config->paths->adminTemplates . 'controller.php'); echo "<link rel='stylesheet' type='text/css' href='" . $config->urls->templates . "css/admin.css'>"; By doing so, the css <link> is added to the very end of each parsed admin-html. (right AFTER the closing </body> tag.)
      That causes some trouble. e.g. the page tree is not displaying any more. Although, other pages are working - like the edit form of a page.
      My question: is there a correct way of adding my extra css to the admin area?
      Thanks for you help!
      Stephan

• By LukeCage
      Hi! I have a big problem with a client of mine. I have to do something that i don't do very often with processwire, and i'm very afraid that i'm not gonna able to do it. So i write to search some help from you experts.
      The website that i'm gonna create will have a database with infos about users. This users are not the actual registrered users, but possible users. I'll try my best to explain this. What i will have is a datasheet in the database with infos about all the users (name, surname, fiscal Code) that can register to the website. So during registration the website is confront with this database of people, and accept or not your registration to the website.
      Now. The problems are: the client need a page in the CMS to insert this people in the first place (Custom Admin Page?) in the database. I read what i need to create it, but i don't understand what i need to do next. What i need to do for reading and writing to the database, with data, directly from a custom admin page in processwire?
      The other thing is. I can do this control during registration? I Can extend fields in the user account?
      I'm completely in your hands.
    • By Robin S
      Breadcrumb Dropdowns
      Adds dropdown menus of page edit links to the breadcrumbs in Page Edit.

Installation
      Install the Breadcrumb Dropdowns module. The module requires ProcessWire >= v3.0.83 and AdminThemeUikit.
      There is a checkbox option in the module config that determines if the breadcrumb dropdowns will include pages that the user does not have permission to edit.
      Features/details
      The module adds an additional breadcrumb item at the end for the currently edited page. That's because I think it's more intuitive for the dropdown under each breadcrumb item to show the item's sibling pages rather than the item's child pages. In the dropdown menus the current page and the current page's parents are highlighted in a crimson colour to make it easier to quickly locate them in case you want to edit the next or previous sibling page. Unpublished and hidden pages are indicated in the dropdowns with similar styling to that used in Page List. If the option to include uneditable pages is selected then those pages are indicated by italics with a reduced text opacity and the "not-allowed" cursor is shown on hover. There is a limit of 25 pages per dropdown for performance reasons and to avoid the dropdown becoming unwieldy. If the current user is allowed to add new pages under the parent page an "Add New" link is shown at the bottom of the breadcrumb dropdown. If the currently edited page has children or the user may add children, a caret at the end of the breadcrumbs reveals a dropdown of up to the first 25 children and/or an "Add New" link. Overriding the listed siblings for a page
      If you want to override the siblings that are listed in the dropdowns you can hook the BreadcrumbDropdowns::getSiblingsmethod and change the returned PageArray. For most use cases this won't be necessary.
      Incompatibilities
      This module replaces the AdminThemeUikit::renderBreadcrumbs method so will potentially be incompatible with other modules that hook the same method.

https://modules.processwire.com/modules/breadcrumb-dropdowns/
      https://github.com/Toutouwai/BreadcrumbDropdowns