Is PW becoming more popular?

Peter Knight

I also wouldn't mind to see a hold on new features in trade for a new ProcessWire.com and finished AdminTheme. :)

I think there are many people that judge by the first impression and are not willing to dig deeper if this impression isn't state of the art.

Maybe we could develop a new style guide for the website and all the other websites evolving around ProcessWire. I am missing a consistency in the design there.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, SamC said:

2) Let them use the standard login form (which is easily redirected to if a user doesn't have permission to view a page) and then use the page tree with strict user permissions, i.e. they end up with a 'tree' with about one branch (if editing their profile is all that's allowed).

you should definitely invest some minutes and start writing process modules. it's incredible how fast you can create your very own admin GUIs and you will learn to understand processwire a lot better ;)

5 hours ago, szabesz said:

important part of the success...

define "success" ;)

i agree with most of all posts above but i also want to say that i like the fact (or at least it seems to be like this) that we do NOT attract a lot of "i am looking for a click click and it's done" users. i like the way people here behave, trying to learn things, trying to understand, trying to find their way around the code...

maybe if processwire looked more fancy that would be different. i don't know.

and maybe it's not ryans goal to become more popular. the roadmap states it as a goal for 2017 - but i'm not sure how important it is for ryan. personally i would love to hear more personal and strategic infos regarding the project. who is the team behind processwire? is it only ryan? what happens if ryan can not continue to work on it? he said at several occasions that there ARE people that could continue the project but i would love to have a more reliable solution/statement for that.

i don't really care if we have 10.000 or 10.000.000 users - but i do care if i have enough certainty to be able to work with some kind of software on the long run.

to be honest i have some concerns about the last point sometimes. but i calm myself knowing that even if processwire would not get updated for a long time it would still run safely and without any issues and i would have enough time to learn something else :)

• Like 7

I am not sure if this is the right thread anymore to discuss the redesign of ProcessWire.com, but as an example how a style guide could look like, I have made a little prototype in Sketch (my favorite prototyping app) which you can find here:

I think it would be great, if the community could help @ryan to build the new ProcessWire.com. In my opinion this would boost the popularity of ProcessWire a lot. ;)

• Like 2

9 hours ago, bernhard said:

define "success" ;)

Good point :) To me, in the case of ProcessWire it means that ProcessWire "never" becomes obsolete,  at least not in my life. That is why I have the same concerns as you have, see: 

Becoming a tiny bit more popular could attract more dedicated developers who could form a strong dev team behind ProcessWire in the long run (stronger then we have now, 'cos we sure have one it is just not so obvious as they partially work behind the scenes). Maybe I'm just daydreaming, I dunno :) 

• Like 2

Can we set up a Slack channel for Processwire? 

My key concern is to have ProcessWire stick around and look the part. I want my clients to easily find other devs, see that there is a team and a community behind ProcessWire and have it come across as a modern platform that will solve their business needs.

• Like 3

On 9/13/2017 at 11:12 PM, AndZyk said:

I think it would be great, if the community could help @ryan to build the new ProcessWire.com. In my opinion this would boost the popularity of ProcessWire a lot. ;)

Yes, and personally I'm up to lend a hand. But we need to organise. Maybe by starting a thread dedicated to setting up a team and starting to discuss things.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, heldercervantes said:

Arguably nice GUI :D

I agree, the WP interface is very pleasing to the eye compared to my current bright white admin. The colour scheme is similar to the Apple website, and there's a reason for people liking varied greys and softer contrasts. I was slightly concerned when I saw the new PW uikit demo admin. It was just so white, like the inside of a dentists room. This is one area where I would be quite happy for PW to follow WP. I don't think imitation of something so massively popular is a sellout. CraftCMS has a very good looking admin too. Again, with the shades of grey, darker grey to contrast, soft drop shadows, not too much white.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=craftcms+admin&source=lnms&tbm=isch

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SamC said:

I was slightly concerned when I saw the new PW uikit demo admin. It was just so white, like the inside of a dentists room.

These are just demos and often running the default skin. I think Ryan has mentioned a few times he's keen to stress that they're not design proposals.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, SamC said:

I was slightly concerned when I saw the new PW uikit demo admin.

I has been pointed out by Ryan that he did not change the default "skin" (aka theme) of UIkit on purpose, he ask for our help in this. We all agree that it is washed out and should not be the one used. Also, I think there are too much white space all around and admin pages need less of it and need more actual GUI elements fitted in the visible viewport. It is "an admin" after all and no one wants to scroll a lot. Still, whitespace is important of course but the right balance must be found.

Edited by szabesz
EDIT, added:: , he ask for our help in this.
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, DaveP said:

UIkit is still in beta (beta 30 at the time of writing). I should imagine that there may be more developments with the UIkit admin theme when UIkit comes out of beta.

Looking forward to a few of the v2 components making it to UIKit 3. I've about 5 live sites running on it and it's very finished but missing a few sliders, dynamic grid etc. 

Well worth a look. Lovely framework. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Peter Knight said:

Looking forward to a few of the v2 components making it to UIKit 3. I've about 5 live sites running on it and it's very finished but missing a few sliders, dynamic grid etc. 

Well worth a look. Lovely framework. 

You prefer it to bootstrap 4? I had a bad time trying to get uikit into my node/gulp workflow. I only wanted the sass and BS4 is pretty simple to integrate with npm and compile only the parts I need + custom sass on top of that.

I haven't used any JS from these frameworks yet. Seems uikit is popular around these parts though.

• Like 1

On 9/15/2017 at 10:16 PM, SamC said:

You prefer it to bootstrap 4?

Never got round to Bootstrap 4. I used BS 2 and really liked it but the pace of development was pretty slow. Foundation were introducing some great features that I liked so I switched. I was probably a little hasty with the switch because I began to miss the simplicity of Bootstrap, it's much better docs and support for xs screens.

What led me to UI Kit (V2 at the time) was a project I worked on really needed a native dynamic grid. UI Kit had that and it worked really well.

I can recommend UI Kit 4 though. It's looking like a really advanced but simple to use system.

Thanks for the BS 4 tip. Will have a look. :)

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I totally agree that we need a new processwire.com.

Our existing clients that use PW think it is brilliant but it's always quite hard to sell it in initially to new clients using pages from processwire.com.

Admin look and feel
I've found that most of our clients aren't concerned with the admin skin. It's simple and does the job really well. That said it could be modernised and it would be more visually appealing. A good example would be Umbraco, who's CMS used to look terrible, until it was given a fresh new face. It's really stripped back now and almost has a kind of Apple, utilitarian feel which lends itself to the task at hand. I think their users increased rapidly following this.

Who is ProcessWire for? Everyone... but for different reasons!
One thing I've learned from working with ProcessWire, is that it means different things to different people in terms of what is important and how PW tackles the job. A facelift may make it look nicer but I think the site needs to really target a few different audiences with some quick summary pages, highlighting why it's perfect for them.

• Designers
  • Back end developers
  • Front end developers
  • Project Managers
  • Content Editors
  • Clients
  • Marketing Directors

If you can target these groups, under a general "Why ProcessWire is great" kind of entry point, then I think we would see a lot more people hitting that download button. I know the current PW site kind of tackles this, but I would say that it should be more obvious.

After Installing PW... what next?
When I downloaded Processwire initially I thought "okay what do I do now?". I came from an umbraco background so knew that I would essentially be installing a blank CMS (which I like as there's nothing that I don't need)... but if you're coming from Wordpress or are a first time CMS user, maybe you're expecting more... maybe you're expecting a landing page with links to useful resources and videos... Maybe this landing page could be tailored based on the type of user you are?

Video - Tell me stuff
I searched on google for demo videos and stumbled across a great video that Ryan had recorded. I think video is the way forward here. If people are time starved, then they just want to be introduced to the admin and all the great things it does. The thing is though, that if an admin reskin is in the pipeline, you can't record your video  until that's done.

I'm just rambling now... but hopefully some of this is useful.

Cheers!

• Like 4