Shop-for-ProcessWire (@Apeisa)

Nico Knoll

@claus In what way is your developer extending the existing shopping cart?

In the ways I tell him to  :P No, I mentioned what I need in this post:

I would be very interested in this module. Currently fiddling with the existing ShoppingCart, but there is a lot of features I need to build on top of it (invoice generation, license agreement generation, taxes, VAT lookup, emailing and so on).

Is it British problem only or does it affect all eu countries? My twitter is full about that insanity, but only from British people.

It is an EU thing now. The shop needs to support the lookup of the buyer’s VAT-number, and if found valid delete the VAT from the bill.

It affects all EU countries. There is a discussion on this forum here about it and quite a few links.

From what I know and there is still a lot of confusion about this, the shop will have to detect if the buyer is inside the EU and if so which country he is from and work out the correct tax to add for that country or region(the rate of vat will be according to the purchasers country). This will only apply if it is a business to consumer transaction. 2 forms of proof will need to be collected to show this such as IP address. If it is a business to business transaction then I think a vat number or proof needs to be collected from the buyer to prove that it is a business that is purchasing and then the VAT should be omitted.

@apeisa

It probably hits the Brits harder than anyone else but it is pan-European (the EU also wants it to be Worldwide.) Even Philipp from Conclurer has posted about it.

Basically it shifts VAT calcs from the VAT rate charged in the nation of the seller to the nation of the buyer. Business-to-business sales are unaffected but business-to-consumer sales are covered by the rules. As @Claus points out, the sales process will have to be more complex as the point-of-sale systems will now need to be able to collect, prove (how, I don't know) and retain information about customer type (business or consumer) and their location for 10 years (security implications anyone?) and use that information to charge the correct rate of VAT - which will change across 28 authorities now instead of just your local one.

The retention of potentially valuable customer location data (like a billing address) is worrying to me as a lot of places are probably going to leak it or have it stolen over that 10 year period. Data can only be held on servers/sites based within the EU. Depending on local interpretation of the legislation keeping this data may also require you to register with your local data-protection registrar/authority (it does here in the UK - with the attendant responsibilities and liability for audit etc.)

So now we all have to...

• Migrate Servers/Sites inside the EU if they were hosted outside. 
  • Complicate the order process (=> fewer conversions to sales)
  • Match at least 2 data points about customer location and store them for 10 years (security anyone?)
  • Perhaps register with local data protection agency.
  • Keep up with VAT rates in 27 additional countries.
  • (probably) charge the customer more than before (though some customers in low tax locations may see price decreases)
  • Submit quarterly VAT returns.
  • Disburse tax collected to the correct member state (though there is the mini-one-stop-shop system that can help here)

If you weren't previously liable to submit a VAT return then you will also have to register for VAT in at least your local jurisdiction and use the MOSS -or- VAT register in, and disburse funds to, every EU state in which you have a consuming client.

Updated to add this missed paragraph: It also means that sellers can be pursued for tax by any and all EU tax authorities now, not just their local one.

I guess a lot of people are going to switch from self-hosted solutions like using the PW shop module over to services that act as resellers as that means our relationship with them is now business-2-business and they take care of all the new compliance issues.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I hope that helps clarify a few things.

• Like 2

It affects all EU countries. There is a discussion on this forum here about it and quite a few links.

From what I know and there is still a lot of confusion about this, the shop will have to detect if the buyer is inside the EU and if so which country he is from and work out the correct tax to add for that country or region(the rate of vat will be according to the purchasers country). This will only apply if it is a business to consumer transaction. 2 forms of proof will need to be collected to show this such as IP address. If it is a business to business transaction then I think a vat number or proof needs to be collected from the buyer to prove that it is a business that is purchasing and then the VAT should be omitted.

Oh dear gawd. So I have to tally the sum of deferred VAT and then reverse charge that… ? Jesus what a complicated system.

• Like 1

@apeisa

It probably hits the Brits harder than anyone else but it is pan-European (the EU also wants it to be Worldwide.) Even Philipp from Conclurer has posted about it.

Basically it shifts VAT calcs from the VAT rate charged in the nation of the seller to the nation of the buyer. Business-to-business sales are unaffected but business-to-consumer sales are covered by the rules. As @Claus points out, the sales process will have to be more complex as the point-of-sale systems will now need to be able to collect, prove (how, I don't know) and retain information about customer type (business or consumer) and their location for 10 years (security implications anyone?) and use that information to charge the correct rate of VAT - which will change across 28 authorities now instead of just your local one.

The retention of potentially valuable customer location data (like a billing address) is worrying to me as a lot of places are probably going to leak it or have it stolen over that 10 year period. Depending on local interpretation of the legislation keeping this data (has to be inside the EU so that's my US hosting deal blown out of the water for qbox.co) may also require you to register with your local data-protection registrar/authority (it does here in the UK - with the attendant responsibilities and liability for audit etc.)

So now we all have to...

• Migrate Servers/Sites inside the EU if they were hosted outside. 
  • Complicate the order process (=> fewer conversions to sales)
  • Match at least 2 data points about customer location and store them for 10 years (security anyone?)
  • Perhaps register with local data protection agency.
  • Keep up with VAT rates in 27 additional countries.
  • (probably) charge the customer more than before (though some customers in low tax locations may see price decreases)
  • Submit quarterly VAT returns.
  • Disburse tax collected to the correct member state (though there is the mini-one-stop-shop system that can help here)

If you weren't previously liable to submit a VAT return then you will also have to register for VAT in at least your local jurisdiction and use the MOSS -or- VAT register in, and disburse funds to, every EU state in which you have a consuming client.

I guess a lot of people are going to switch from self-hosted solutions like using the PW shop module over to services that act as resellers as that means our relationship with them is now business-2-business and they take care of all the new compliance issues.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I hope that helps clarify a few things.

:'(  :'(  :'(  :'(  :'(  :'(  :'(  :'(  :'(  :'(  :'(  :'(  :'(  :'(  :'(  :'(  :'(  :'(  :'(  :'(  :'(  :'(  :'(  :'(  :'(  :'(  :'(  :'(  :'(

@Claus

Forgot to mention that the date for compliance is ... 1st Jan 2015.

There's a lot of Brits are up in arms about this as it impacts what micro-businesses here will now have to deal with more than a lot of European friends as most of us didn't previously have to deal with VAT returns at all. Now they all have to VAT register and (presumably) put up prices as a result. This is slightly exaggerated but sums up the options as a lot of small sellers here see them...

vatmoss.gif

Regardless of the above mentioned UK perspective, this legislation will change the way a lot of other Europeans trade and, consequently, there's now an EU-wide petition to have a threshold introduced for all this. Please consider signing this and joining the #vatmoss and #vatmess discussion, in your local language, on twitter or facebook and share it.

• Like 2

I think this all goes like the cookie insanity. Law change is so stupid that it really cannot work. Although this is probably done because of all large digital business (app store, google) are run from Ireland because of lowest vat.

In Finland you don't have to pay vat if sales are under 8000€, interested to see whether that have changed because of this.

• Like 4

@apeisa, that changes on the first of next month for digital products and services. Local exemptions no longer seem to apply to anything other than domestic sales. At least, that's the case here. We can keep our domestic VAT threshold for sales to UK customers but sales to other EU citizens have to be taxed. If we want to use the MOSS system to handle disbursement of the collected tax then we have to register for VAT and do all the accounting and paperwork even if the submitted total for the domestic VAT is a big fat zero.

My initial need is to support different local vat classes. I will take a look into this vatmess, but I wouldn't hold my breath for full support (although it probably isn't that big stretch from that) . It seems the technical hurdle is the smallest one for dealer. If I understood correctly, you need to register into each eu country as seller. Do you need to report those taxes also into each country?

• Like 1

My initial need is to support different local vat classes. I will take a look into this vatmess, but I wouldn't hold my breath for full support (although it probably isn't that big stretch from that) . It seems the technical hurdle is the smallest one for dealer. If I understood correctly, you need to register into each eu country as seller. Do you need to report those taxes also into each country?

In the UK there is something called VATMOSS (VAT Mini One Stop Shop) for businesses in the UK and non-union VAT MOSS scheme (for non EU businesses) which simplifies things meaning that a business would only need to register for VATMOSS or non union VATMOSS instead of registering in each EU country.

The following is from HMRC regarding VAT MOSS:

'You can submit a single calendar quarterly return and VAT payment to HMRC, who will send the appropriate information and payment to each relevant member state’s tax authority.'

From what I see all that would be needed is some way to extract the relevant sales information needed to make the MOSS VAT report.

• 3 weeks later...

The name comes from the little turtle, like Teppo mentioned. No specific reason for that name. As a father of two (soon three) kids, I know that everyone needs a name - those are pretty handy.

PS: pad is also handy prefix, there will be padcart, padorders etc...

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello,

I installed the Shop-module with succes.

Now studying how the checkout-module works. But I have no experience how customizing a module.

What I will try to make: 

1. If a customer click on [Place your order] then the customer received a confirmation-mail with all the order-details (product-list and his own contact-info) similar that renders in the checkout-page.

I find on line 221 public function renderConfirmation() , but I don't know how find/filter the 'order' data.

How can I implement a mail() function in the checkout-module? What variables/functions render the order details that I can integrated in the mail-function?

Hope that someone can help me  :undecided:

Christophe