louisstephens

Setting up Processwire using Runcloud

I was going to start working on a new site for myself and wife (a new hobby we have taken up), and had decided to try out Runcloud and Digital Ocean. I got my drop set up on digital ocean, as well as setting up various hooks/databases etc between github and run cloud. However, now I have hit a wall. 

I cloned my "blank" repository into my local host (managed through MAMP) and dropped in a fresh install of PW, but now I have no idea of how to move forward. Is it best to just work locally, and then push this into a branch, and when ready, change branches and commit all to run cloud? Run cloud gives me an IP address to use for the database, but I can't get my localhost setup to recognize (I just get "Connection refused"). I am also unsure how to actually get my commits to push to run cloud, and handling the new set up.

I am probably in over my head, but I thought I would try something new as a good learning experience. However, now I am just drowning :P . Hopefully someone has some ideas on how to approach this, as I am very eager to get under way.

• Like 1

Does runcloud allow uploading custom certificates in the free plan ?

You can upload your site files after zip, via scp also

scp local_site.zip runcloud@server-ip-address:webapps/your-web-app-path/

If you read documentation, database section you can see the answer : https://runcloud.io/docs/server/database.html#rc-docs-scroll

You need to add 3306/tcp port, like here.

59c69c78738df_EkranResmi2017-09-2320_39_34.thumb.png.3dc0eafff4a8b6613297dd999b5b8413.png

after add port to your firewall settings, you can connect your database with your server ip from anywhere. You can use Sequel Pro app for connect to your database.

After you done with database, don't forget to remove 3306/tcp port!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I'd say develop locally (use local database). To me, having a permanent ~70x2=140ms round-trip delay at every operation would be a frustrating experience.

Using custom git hooks you can export & import sql databases from local <-> remote setups. Once the template & field infrastructure is complete you can utilize page import export feature to exchange pages between local & remote as well.  

• Like 1

I use winscp so scp will work then. Thanks for the link and tip.

Thanks everyone for the help. I got a bit turned around and was struggling with digitalocean, when I should have been interacting with runcloud as my "dashboard". Ill let everyone know how my setup turns out once I get to it this morning.

Didn't know this tool, seems much more equipped than Server Pilot, am I being fare in this comparison?

On 9/25/2017 at 2:19 PM, louisstephens said:

Ill let everyone know how my setup turns out once I get to it this morning.

Hey @louisstephens, how are your experiences with this tool? Like @elabx, I'm curious since Serverpilot is rock solid, but lacking some features. Thanks!

Just came across this thread - for those who were wondering, we switched from ServerPilot to RunCloud + Linode for many PW projects and find it to be a great setup. Their support is great too, they’re in the Far East but always respond very quickly, not that we’ve had many issues. Very favourable  pricing too compared to ServerPilot and way more features.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1