PW 3.0.76 – Login/Register/Profile, ProCache, Uikit 3

ryan

This week we've got new versions of the Uikit 3 admin theme, a new version of ProCache with SCSS and LESS support, plus a brand new module that provides user login, new user registration and a user profile editor, all for the front-end of your site. And of course, a new core dev version too (3.0.76)!

https://processwire.com/blog/posts/pw-3.0.76-plus-login-register/

• Like 22
  • Thanks 7

52 minutes ago, ryan said:

a brand new module that provides user login, new user registration and a user profile editor, all for the front-end of your site.

A fantastic upgrade to ProcessWire's core capabilities.  Thanks for making our lives easier.

• Like 9

Wow, super update this week!

The SCSS compilation feature in ProCache sounds great. Currently I have a roll-my-own solution using scssphp - does the new ProCache feature use scssphp or something different? 

The front-end users module is awesome news - it's one of those few missing pieces that PW has been really needing. Beginners especially will benefit from this, and because of the security considerations that come with a login system it's great to have a solution from PW's creator. I was expecting that such a module would be a "Pro" release, so big thanks for making this a free module! Can't wait to try it.

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Markus Thomas said:

Nice work, but one question, why not multi-language?

Why do you assume it isn't capable of different languages? The source code contains pretty much translatable strings like that:  _('You have logged out') – the underscore indicates that it is translatable. What's missing now is the translation itself – feel free to chime in! Here is all you need :)

• Like 3

A fantastic upgrade to ProcessWire's core capabilities.  Thanks for making our lives easier.

Thanks. Just to clarify, this is not a core module, and won't ever be. When it comes to the core, I think it's best to intentionally limit the front-end "inputs", and leave anything further to one's own template files or modules that you may install (like this one). That way, we can be certain that the common front-end inputs to ProcessWire sites never exceeds the actual needs of an individual site, which I think is good for security. 

Nice work, but one question, why not multi-language?

It already supports multi-language. 

The SCSS compilation feature in ProCache sounds great. Currently I have a roll-my-own solution using scssphp - does the new ProCache feature use scssphp or something different? 

It uses scssphp and lessphp. People who have already rolled their own solutions may prefer to stick with what they have, since presumably you've customized it to your needs and workflow already. But the compilation in ProCache is definitely handy, and I think folks that haven't already settled on a workflow of their own may find the one built into ProCache very useful. ProCache has always monitored your CSS and JS files for changes (and now SCSS and LESS files) to determine when it needs to merge and minify them. So making scssphp/lessphp part of that process makes a lot of sense. No external watchers, editors or background processes are needed. It's also handy if you want a common solution between servers that works regardless of whether in the dev environment, staging environment, or directly on the server, etc. It's nice knowing that a change will get compiled regardless of how or where the file is edited. 

Is there a way to disable email validation on the Login/Register/Profile plugin when users register to the website from the frontend?

You could disable it by editing the module file. But I wouldn't recommend it. A form that allows one to create a new ProcessWire login account without validation would quickly get abused. Over time it would just fill up with millions of bot accounts.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On my localhost computer, I created a new user using Login/Register and it said it emailed me a confirmation code.

Is the module using the php mail() function to send the email, or SMTP?

If it's using mail(), can you please change it to SMTP as PHP doesn't allow mail() emails to be routed through SMTP.

If it's using SMTP, how do I change the SMTP settings?

Hi Ryan,

Great to see the registration/login module - very appreciated. In the next version, could you make the createConfirmationCode() method hookable so we can supply our own generators? Actually, only the generation of the code needs to be hookable - the scaffolding in that method to store the generated code could stay as it is.

Many thanks!

• Like 6

First, let me say that I've been looking forward to a module like Login/Register/Profile. I think a module like this one helps to bring another category of projects to ProcessWire that otherwise would have been developed in another CMS.

I've been playing with the module over the weekend and discovered the following:

• Opening "Fieldset in Tab" fields display as an option in the module's "Profile form fields" setting. Ending "Fieldset in Tab" fields display with the label "Close an open fieldset". I'm going to assume that "Fieldset in Tab" fields should not display as an option.
  • If an image is added via the "Profile form fields" setting, the default display of that image on the public side displays the Edit functionality for the image. Can this be turned off?
  • If an image's settings restrict the image's dimensions, the image does not display appropriate errors if a larger or smaller image is uploaded. I feel that images need to work well with this module since profiles on most services these days include an option for a profile image.

Thank you for making this available!

• Like 1

On 9/24/2017 at 2:38 PM, ryan said:

Thanks. Just to clarify, this is not a core module, and won't ever be.

While I understand that fewer inputs mean fewer possible possibilities to invade the  system, a non-maintained module pimped by beginners can easily be less secure than something in the core taken good care of.

Just by leaving the module out of the core does not help saving ProcessWire's reputation when the modified version of this module leads to a site being hacked. I think it will be quite to the contrary should it ever happen.

In my humble opinion this new module (LoginRegister) should be in the core and just like its cousin ProcessForgotPassword, they should be "uninstalled" by default. A good guide on how to implement and/or make proper changes to the module via hooks should be provided so that anyone can do it without compromising security.

I vote for teaching people instead of giving them a tool with the label on it: "use at your own risk".

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, szabesz said:

this new module (LoginRegister) should be in the core

FWIW, I respectfully disagree.

For a lot of sites, it just isn't required. Maintainers can log in through the admin and a whole host of sites just don't need front end user management. It always struck me as silly that some other CMSs always have (had?) a visible login link on every page.

If it's a concern that it might be a harder sell to clients that this isn't part of PW core, then surely the fact that Ryan is the developer should confirm that this is effectively 'part of PW', just not installed by default.

As far as security goes, and misjudged editing of modules vs core files, there will always be people who go fiddling about in /wire/ when they shouldn't, so this functionality living in there won't necessarily help.

• Like 1

Whether this module is in the core of ProcessWire or isn't is not too important to me. What I am very grateful for is that @ryan has addressed the functionality himself and produced what seems to be a solid solution. 

What we have now is a Login/Registration solution written and supported by @ryan.  We are definitely better off than we were just a few weeks ago.  We hope that the support is long-term and that there will be further enhancements to this module in the coming years.

Front-end Login/Registration is, to me, a very important capability.  @ryan has produced the basic scaffolding (his module) and hopefully others will add to or enhance the functionality of what's been produced.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, cstevensjr said:

We hope that the support is long-term

I'm very skeptical regarding long-term support of this module and that is the point of my post. Ryan has already shared a lot of open-source modules, and we are all grateful for that. As far as I can see, lots of such modules – which are not in the core – will not get too much attention by Ryan in the future. That is why he does not include them in the core in the first place, I guess.

24 minutes ago, szabesz said:

I'm very skeptical regarding long-term support of this module and that is the point of my post. Ryan has already shared a lot of open-source modules, and we are all grateful for that. As far as I can see, lots of such modules – which are not in the core – will not get too much attention by Ryan in the future. That is why he does not include them in the core in the first place, I guess.

I wrote "we hope", however I was not implying that the module won't get updates.  From my experience @ryan has supported all the modules he has released for the last few years.

Hanna Code, Import Pages From CSV and ProcessWire Upgrade are 3 of many he has produced and kept up-to-date.  All the while he has produced many other great modules (paid and free).

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, cstevensjr said:

@ryan has supported all the modules he has released for the last few years.

As long as they are in the Module Directory. I might be wrong but others – not in the Directory – are released "as is". I might be totally mistaken but my impression is that after an initial development period, this module will not be maintained anymore and that is why it was stressed by Ryan that we are free to modify it to our needs.

1 hour ago, szabesz said:

That is why he does not include them in the core in the first place, I guess.

I can categorically assure you that this is not the case. Support or lack of support for a module is not a criteria for what modules make it to the core. I could go into details but I need to run. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kongondo said:

I could go into details

No need for that as I understand it, I think. As I said, it was my impression based on my limited knowledge of the sate of this module. Seeing it in the Module Directory turns it into a different story.

I have to agree that I don't think this module needs to be part of core. But I do think that it needs to remain in active development, even if that means it becomes a Pro module.

Modules like ListerPro (which I love and use all of the time) bring value to a project, but they aren't necessarily defined as a project requirement by the client. However, if a project requires the functionality of Login/Register/Profile, this module may mean the difference of a client agreeing to use ProcessWire over another CMS. To me, that's a game changer, and is why it has been on my wishlist for some time.

I've already started using it for a community project that I've wanted to build, although I'm hoping that it will play nicely with images very soon.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I fully agree with Lance.

Firstly, a HUGE thank you to Ryan for doing this. It was badly needed and the only thing that held me back on converting some of my legacy ModX sites. I love PW and this was the missing piece for me. I can't thank Ryan enough for turning his attention to this sorely lacking functionality that almost every other CMS has.

However, I'm very sad that this isn't a pro module. Rather than being part of the core to "guarantee" attention and updates (as others above have indicated), I would have preferred this to be a paid module to ensure such attention and updates. That's not to say Ryan won't be maintaining this module in a reasonable fashion, just that this is a huge enough component of a CMS that it absolutely could have warranted being a pro module and there are many of us that would have gladly paid for it. I will gladly use this module, provide feedback on bugs, questions on customizing, etc. and hope that all such things are attended to in a timely manner.

While I appreciate that it is *FREE*, Ryan, please consider making it a pro module. I'm sure you have your reasons for not doing so and I guess I'm just worried it won't get the attention it deserves. It will be critical to many of my membership sites that I will now convert to PW and thus I'm worried about future development on it. Things like images support are crucial and if this was a paid module, may be higher up Ryan's priority list.

• Like 5